Songs that will NEVER be dropped from the setlist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah it would of. people would be dumbfounded. they would probably think someone hit the wrong button or something.

mikal said:
i just don't understand why hardly anyone likes Bullet. i've always considered it to be one of the best moments of every show i've been to.

i do agree! of course i've only seen them play it on concert dvds.

But i think SBS will always be a staple of their concerts. They just know that people are just waiting for them to play that song, as well as WTSHNN.

Z00rop@83 said:
replace SBS or Bullet for full band version of "please" please !!! :drool:

looooooooooove that song! As well as "In a little while" and "love is blindness" , i wouldn't mind hearing those more often!!

Z00rop@83 said:
replace SBS or Bullet for full band version of "please" please !!! :drool:

A u2 gig just isn't a u2 gig without sunday bloody sunday!
There are some songs which i think could do with a rest to increase the magic when they are played (with or without you, pride, bullet) but there are just some which have to stay. Where the streets have no name and sunday bloody sunday are two of them!

U2FanPeter said:

They also played UTEOTW at the R&RHOF in March 2005.

I was only talking about full tour dates though. I could have also mentioned that it was done at the Brussels rehearsal on 2005-06-09.

doctorwho said:
The trouble with this thread is that personal bias kicks in. For example, Axver, you're well known for your dislike of AB, especially "One". So for you, this song is "over-played" by default.

Meh ... there's a bit of bias there, I suppose, but I do try to rate One on its actual live quality, and I think it's apparent that the song has taken a huge dive since Popmart (and I actually like the Popmart Sarajevo performance, believe it or not). Plus, I think there's simply no justification for playing the same song at every single concert for 14 years! I wouldn't care if it were One Tree Hill; a song needs a break, otherwise it just becomes stale and predictable.

partygirlvox said:

A u2 gig just isn't a u2 gig without sunday bloody sunday!

Half of Popmart, over half of ZooTV, and all of Lovetown coped just fine without it ...

U2FanPeter said:
I think Elevation has been played at every full gig for the past 7 years.

To me that sounds so strange...Elevation came off U2's second most recent album yet its been out for an entire 7 years!!

Interesting thread...

From How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, I think they will keep the 'Beautiful Day' track (City of Blinding Lights) and the 'Elevation' track (Vertigo) in pretty regular rotation. I could also see songs like Miracle Drug, All Because of You getting a few plays, as well as The Edge and Bono's favourite, Original of the Species.

As for the other tracks, the songs I think need to be rested but never will include songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky. I think Chicago has a very strong setlist, but was let down by some of the performances. Bullet the Blue Sky actually got boring, with the 'The Hands That Built America' and 'Johnny's Marching Home Again' snippets. It really did, it became so slow. Compare that to even the Elevation tour version (esp. Slane) and in my opinion Bullet the Blue Sky was frickin' awesome. The solos were just kick ass.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is just becoming very stale. The bridge, where on past tours Bono would get riled up about the revolution, or deaths in Bloody Sunday and sing out all the names of the victims, turned into a lame, slow and boring 'Jesus, Jew Mohammed, it's true...' I just think they either need to rest it for like a leg or 2 (a la Zoo TV) or do something completey different (a la Popmart, with Edge singing).

One, I think needs to be rested for maybe a leg as well, like Pride it has just become the same version, played over and over again. There's no variety. It doesn't help when there's an entire 'cell phones....very powerful...anyone got a cell phone...' speech before it but this song is a very moving, emotional song, but on Chicago it just sounded...flat.

Of the others, Where the Streets Have No Name is integral to the setlist, I don't want to see this song dropped. When I go to my first concert in November, I woudl be very upset if they didn't play this song. Pride just sounds tired, cliched, repititive. New Year's Day is one of those songs that I think sounds fresh most times they play it. I really love watching Adam own those first 10 or 15 seconds playing one of his best bass lines. But that said, I wouldn't entirely miss this song either.

All in all, I think Bullet and Pride are the songs that need a break the most. I would personally love to see some of these songs omitted in favour of Acrobat, God Part II, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Ultraviolet, Exit, Fire, Drowining Man, Like a Song..., Wire, Lemon, etc...

But we all know the chance of this happening is low because U2 are playing shows to a general audience. About 99% of the crowd at any given show is likely not to be a part of Intereference. The general fans want to see Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You all played because they don't sit down and scrutinise and pick through U2's recent setlists and analyse perfomances. Like someone said, we're all fucking nuts.

of all of the songs that I feel that must be dropped, it is Pride.

I love the version on the album, but every time I hear it live it seems really really tired. Am I the only one that thinks this song has really really gotten blah more than any other song in its live decline?

Axver said:

Half of Popmart, over half of ZooTV, and all of Lovetown coped just fine without it ...

Maybe thats why the war tour triumphs over the tours mentioned..:whistle:

Axver said:

Meh ... there's a bit of bias there, I suppose, but I do try to rate One on its actual live quality, and I think it's apparent that the song has taken a huge dive since Popmart (and I actually like the Popmart Sarajevo performance, believe it or not). Plus, I think there's simply no justification for playing the same song at every single concert for 14 years! I wouldn't care if it were One Tree Hill; a song needs a break, otherwise it just becomes stale and predictable.

so you feel the same way about streets...? my guess is that is has been played at every tour date since 1987? thats more than 500 consecutive shows?

i thought streets was great uptil zoo tv... then not so good on Popmart... better on Elevation, while Vertigo was probably the weakest. I doubt that it will ever be dropped though... not even for a single concert. Maybe it could be revamped with a better segue next time.

shortfuse said:
so you feel the same way about streets...? my guess is that is has been played at every tour date since 1987? thats more than 500 consecutive shows?

Not true at all. Streets actually was not played at over a third of the JT Tour shows in Europe. It also missed one Lovetown show. It has been played at every single full tour concert since 19 November 1989, Sydney.

i thought streets was great uptil zoo tv... then not so good on Popmart... better on Elevation, while Vertigo was probably the weakest. I doubt that it will ever be dropped though... not even for a single concert. Maybe it could be revamped with a better segue next time.

I would probably agree with your assessment of its quality ... I'm not so keen on most of its post-1993 performances, though I don't think the Vertigo performances were worse than the Elevation ones, mainly because I think Vertigo has had some better vocals.

To answer your initial question, my basic principle that "every song needs a rest" holds for this one. I fear Streets could lose its live magic; we come to expect it. A lot of posts on here have given the impression that some feel Streets on Vertigo lacked the magic ... I would not object if it were rested or went into rotation. It might just make its appearances all the more special and noteworthy (much like Bad nowadays).

I liked the vocals this tour, but Pride has gotten tired. Maybe they could try a new arrangement to play it?

Yes, One. I think none of the live versions match the magic in the studio, and it would help if they didn't stick to the same old version on each tour. Why not try something like the Automatic Baby version?

The third one that got tired is I Still haven't found... again, try something new with the song. What was so wrong with the acoustic Zoo TV or the night from May 16 2001 version?

Pride, SBS, Streets & BTBS have been bet to death through repetition.
You know the band is just going through the motions on them also so it's time to drop 2 or more.
Their back catalogue has enough replacements to keep even the casual fan happy.

The last time I enjoyed Pride was during the Popmart. Even though alot of you didn't like that version, I thought it sounded a bit fresh because of its setlist placement.

Pride, One, and maybe Bullet need to take a breath. One is a joke now. It just isn't emotional anymore.

RABIDLAMB said:

Their back catalogue has enough replacements to keep even the casual fan happy.

I would love to hear something like Please or Ultraviolet again. I thought it was great that they mixed up a lot of very old songs, i.e. Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, etc. on the Vertigo Tour. Love hearing the more obscure tunes, but I must admit, some of the ones that have been beaten to death are my favorites and just have a way of getting to the crowd better than any new song could. Admit it, or not, the old favorites are the songs that made U2 famous and they'll never drop them completely. Although I do agree that there doesn't appear to be as much passion with some of the older tunes. But how could there be. Bono is a different person now, how could he not be, and maybe things aren't so black and white for him now as they were when those songs were first recorded, when his eyes were really starting to open to the world. Things are probably a bit more of a gray in color. I think a lot of it, in U2's case, depends on what's going on in the world at that moment and how the music relates to it. You wouldn't find that with any other band. I don't think Streets ever had as much passion as it did on the Elevation Tour. That's when that song, I think, really reached it's peak, at least for the live version, and some songs took on new meaning, like Kite, which became much more passionate and had more meaning after Bono's Dad died.

Of course, we have all read the complaints when they don't play some of the old songs at a particular gig. There will always be people who will complain. There will always be a song missing from a setlist that you wanted to hear, but the songs people complain about not hearing are never the more recent songs i.e. you never hear a fan post on here "I'm so dissappointed that they didn't play Beautiful Day or Staring at the Sun" even though those are hugely popular songs. Fans always complain when they don't play some of the older, more popular songs.

I guess what it boils down to is they're never going to please everyone, not with the huge catalogue of music they have.

My complaint this tour was that I didn't get to hear New Year's Day, but I did get to hear Bad, so I'm a happy camper.

Just be happy they're still touring. :wink:

Pride needs to go im sorry but it's becoming very old. Maybe leaving of SBS would be good as well (like they did earlier with POPmart for a while).

On the other hand there are songs that need to come back more often. What about Please! One of their best songs ever created.

Or what about Stay? What about Love is Blindness, what about MOFO, Discotheque, Gone, Last night on earth etc etc etc.

There are so many songs that arent being played anymore that deserve to be given airtime!

SBS , BTBS , Pride , One and beautiful day need resting or freshing up.

One and pride have lost all meaning .

Axver said:

UTEOTW missed one Elevation show, and I'd say it was more than 'scattered' throughout Vertigo. Between March and November, it was played a grand total of four times (2005-05-12, Chicago

Where it was PHENOMENAL. :drool:

schnumi said:

On the other hand there are songs that need to come back more often. What about Please! One of their best songs ever created.

Or what about Stay? What about Love is Blindness, what about MOFO, Discotheque, Gone, Last night on earth etc etc etc.

There are so many songs that arent being played anymore that deserve to be given airtime!

I SO agree.....I absolutely love Please and Gone. Wouldn't mind Ultraviolet or Mofo either. Or even Dirty Day (I know The First Time got played at one of the shows I went to, but not sure about dirty day), I don't generally complain about songs I didn't hear or songs that I DID hear, but there is a lot out there that they could rotate.

But like someone above said, I'm just happy they're still touring. I'll take what I can get!

Pride needs to go no question

Also Bullet, I remember first hearing this song on the JT and being blown away and ever since each sucessive tour it's become almost a parody of itself. As a post said above there's so many great songs that they can pull out - how about a couple from TUF?

Like Wire, TUF or ASOH?

One definately needs to be changed up. It's a beer run song now.

Streets is still electrifying everytime they play it. You may be listening to too many bootlegs (not that I blame you).

Pride is what is is. I think an acoustic version would be cool, but doubt we'll ever see a change.

Bullet needs to be dropped. period.

Beautiful Day I'm tired of listening to now, but when the boys come around again, I'll be jumping when edge kicks off those opening notes just like everyone else.

Vertigo is great live.

I agree with a poster who said he'd like to see 9 songs from the new album. I think HTDAAB was good enough for that and while I was fortunate enough to be at Chicago V in the spring and Minneapolis in the fall, and did hear all the HTDAAB songs they played live (except fast cars), it'd be cool to hear them all in one show a la Zoo TV.

Songs I'd like to see as staples on the next tour:

UTEOTW
Zoo Station
Please
Walk On
COBL
OOTS - with guitar
Electrical Storm
One Tree Hill
Running To Stand Still

With these regulars:
Streets
Pride
One
Beaut Day
Vertigo

Songs I never want to hear live again:
Bullet - bleagh
Miracle Drug - bleagh. I still think this is just half a song.
SYCMIOYO - personal reasons.

I don't like to hear One anymore, but I can stand it (barely). What ICANNOT stand anymore is New Year's Day and Pride. Good God those drive me crazy now!! Soooo boring.

Back
Top Bottom