songs that sound better live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bildo

The Fly
Alot of bands songs sound worse live, especially if they use too many effects and stuff in the studio that they cant recreate live.
U2 isnt one of these, fortunately. However, they do have some songs that I like better live than the studio version.
Exit--Rattle & Hum era. The Edge was way more aggressive than
on the studio version, and Larry and Adam played just
slightly faster than the studio version. It worked great.
Until the End of the World--Live at Sydney/video version. The
Edge's guitar sliding was a good touch
Silver and Gold--the studio version of this song is kinda boring to me, but I love the R&H one and I always play my bass with it
Pride--the crowd chanting "whoa oh oh oh" along with Bono was cool

Those are a few off the top of my head, but Ive also noticed that I tend to like most of their early stuff better live, especially the songs on War. Maybe thats just cause Red Rocks was my first U2 album. My first rock album, now that I think of it.

i agree with you about 'until the end of the world'

it sounds much better live, though the album is great, i'd still prefer the live one

- Gloria. Like Bildo, I heard the Red Rocks version of this song first, so when it came time to hear the studio version after buying October, it seemed much worse.

Out of control- Slane Castle version

More later. Dad is bitching at me to get offline. UEY!

Sort Of Homecoming :love: The WAIA is excellent and much better than the album version :yes::up:

Another vote for "Love is Blindness." Great song either way, but I prefer the gentle guitar part in the beginning of the live version instead of the intrusive throbbing of the bass on the album.

I think it would almost be more productive to list the songs that I DON'T think sound better live...well, that list would be much shorter anyway!

My parents didn't like "Discotheque" when they first heard it. After hearing it at the Popmart show we went to though, they said they liked it a lot more.

I loved Kite live too. To see him pour the emotion into that song in person was so great.

Sunday bloody sunday. Album version is almost unlistenable. When it comes on the radio, I'll listen cause it's U2....but I really hate the studio version.

Seconds. Red Rocks version is awesome!!

I think the Elevation version of the fly is the best version out there.

....Holy Joe.......:p

I think for me one of the most enjoyable developments from studio to live performance was with All Along The Watchtower for the Lovetown tour..the change in energy, and attack from the version they recorded for Rattle and Hum was alarming. Other mentions would have to go to God Part II, Hawkmoon, Last Night On Earth, Gone, Please, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Ocean, Elevation, New York, Bad, and Exit

I think WTSHNN is better live (elevaion era) slane and boston are my favouriteand
out of control
Sunday Bloody Sunday from slane is the best version I ever heard and the end he starts yelling the names of people how died from the killing trough his mic even when the music is long gone(it is so mind blowing)Great version!!!!!!!!!!

I think the only songs that sound better in the Sudio are With or Without You, Tomorrow, One, Mothers of the Disappeared, In a Little While, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Hawkmoon 269 and Like a song...

the result all improve SO much

Where The Streets Have No Name (Elevation) - even better than on the JT

honourable mentions:
Until The End Of The World (Zoo TV)
Bullet The Blue Sky (Elevation)
Mysterious Ways (Zoo TV)
Gloria (Boy)
Dirty Day (Zoo TV)
Elevation (Elevation)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Elevation)
Electric Co (War)
Mofo (Popmart)
The Fly (Elevation)
Last Night On Earth (Popmart)
Please (Popmart)

Worst:
New York (Elevation - I miss the power of the guitars)
Discoth?que (Popmart)
Until The End Of The World (Popmart) - extremely beautiful live, but it didn't fit in the whole Popmart electronics

Back
Top Bottom