songs that need to speed up again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I thought it was too slow on Elevation as well.

I Will Follow on the Popmart tour bugged me, too. When I saw that concert, I wanted to run up on stage and make them play it at the right tempo.

They slowed down pretty much all of their old songs: OOC, IWF, SBS (that one bugs me the most I think) are just a couple of examples.

Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Elevation's 11 O'clock Tick Tock stand out as the most painful to me.

corianderstem said:

I Will Follow on the Popmart tour bugged me, too. When I saw that concert, I wanted to run up on stage and make them play it at the right tempo.

I also didnt like the phaser/flanger effect edge used on it either.

Axver said:
Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Elevation's 11 O'clock Tick Tock stand out as the most painful to me.

Agree except 11 O'Clock, sounds way better slowed down, its a lot more funky than the 80's version.

The Achtung Baby rockers are most noticable to me. Listen to The Fly, EBTTRT & UTEOTW from 1992 compared to any other time, even 1993; they were march faster and harder.

Snowlock said:
The Achtung Baby rockers are most noticable to me. Listen to The Fly, EBTTRT & UTEOTW from 1992 compared to any other time, even 1993; they were march faster and harder.
I think that Vertigo "the Fly" doesn't have a big difference to the Zoo Tv "The Fly" in the tempo, same for "Zoo Station".

Vertigo Discotheque sounded slower to me, but the worst are the Boy songs (guess why An Cat Dubh didn't work?) +Gloria have slowed. SBS still sounds alright, Pride has never had the album tempo save for the earliest performances

u2fan628 said:
DESIRE! I want to hear some drums!
amen to that

Also New year's day was played much faster up to UF tour, since Conspiracy of Hope tour it has slowed down

Aygo said:
I think that Vertigo "the Fly" doesn't have a big difference to the Zoo Tv "The Fly" in the tempo, same for "Zoo Station".

Are you kidding? Listen to the Sydney version of Zoo Station, then listen to the Chicago version. Can you honestly say that they are the same tempo.

Yeah I agree with SBS, it took some getting used to now they play it an octave lower but then to slow down the drums and tempo overall? Talk about killing the momentum.

It is not that easy, isn't it:

"Out Of Control": hasn't been played for more than 10 years (!) on U2's stages. And even during THE JOSHUA TREE and LOVETOWN Tours it hasn't been anything but a regular in the sets. In other words. You had to be in Hampton or Rotterdam to get it ... Then U2 decied to play this tune again, as a kind of 2nd night regular during ELEVATION: full band, full electric, with the middle, Bono doing a great job in the middle parts. Then you still had a (slim) chance to ge this rocking stomper, sung and performed better than ever before. And now you talk about: speed it up, othterwise it's boring. Of course it's not the fast paced punk rocker it was, but has gained more maturity, wisdom - and by that is more convincing than ever ...

"11 O' Clock Tick Tock": You don't have to lament too much about it being performed - because U2 obviously this beautiful tune any more. It was a kind of gift to play it to the die-hard fans as an "obscure song from our past" (Bono, Vienna '01). u2 played it even back to back to "Out Of Control" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday". You felt, you were back in times. I was crying to get it delivered more intense than ever. And a with "Out Of Control", the phrase boring didn't come to my mind - just luck, pure luck.

"An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart" didn't work in VERTOGO's gigs? Yes, but that's not the band's fault. The usual concert attendant simply didn't know these tunes any more. It took 20 years for the band to redicover their first album - and they played those two as a part of a mini BOY gig in their shows. For me it didn't matter, that the pace was slowed down - oh, but it did: It sounded even better than in the early days. I loved to hear these tunes and I fear, they will be lost in the archive's shelves now again for years to come...

"I Will Follow" now is a different story: U2 slowed the song not only down - even the LOVETOWN versions did so - but they did something, I do not like at all: The band decided to mutilate it, cut it short. Ad I'm not talking about the fun versions on the B-Stage '93 during the ZOO days. I do talk about the snippeted bollocks version '97/'98: in my opinion the low point. From that on we didn't only get the full version back (including the beautiful, shimmering "Your eyes..." middle part) but also the pace was/is right. During ELEVATION and VERTIGO there were really perfect, hard rocking versions - wow!

"Gloria" '05 was astonishing. Beauiful performances,
beautifully sung - and even inserting some quotes by Van's/Patti's "G-L-O-R-I-A" at the end. Pure sould, pure faith - a real classic from one of U2's most underrated albums. More from OCTOBER please ...

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a critical one on the other hand. With no doubt one of the big anthems, the band seems to have problems with it. The tune was left off at all during the whole '89/'90 LOVETOWN tour. And even during the indoor shows '92 - when a lot of fans were desperately waiting for it - there was no way to hear it live. Finally it came back: as the center song of the set, making a political statement for what was going on in Europe, too. But it wasn't like in the 80ies, it wasn't stretched with the 2nd drum coda - but linked to the overkill of "Bullet The Blue Sky". Boring? You must be kidding... If you talk about slowing down, it did even more - with Edge delivering it acoustically during the later POPmart shows '97/'98. From the Sarajewo tribute, it became a regular. Then we got it back in full glory (including the 2nd drum coda sometimes) in the ELEVATION days. Initially played slower, it broughjt space for interesting snippets and performances - a highlight of the show. And on the 3rd leg it was played fast and hard, so what to argue about. In VERTIGO it allowed Bono room for his polical message-raps and statements, sometimes often too much repeating itself, I fear. But on the other hand, especially again on the last leg, we got the "Clash-tribute" with "Rock The Casbah" - great, great, great!

"Pride" is different again: Now becoming cut short, it only got the right tempo a few times during the last decades. Now more important is the sing along effect for the masses - I don't like this evolution at all - play it full, right paced. And sing it like in Melbourne's first night '06 - you had to listen to it ...

Bones58 said:

Are you kidding? Listen to the Sydney version of Zoo Station, then listen to the Chicago version. Can you honestly say that they are the same tempo.
Well, at least the diferences are not as huge and as perceptible as in other examples in this thread.

Snowlock said:

Zoo Station: Yes. Though they sped it up a little bit after the first leg.

The Fly: It's actually a completely different beat now, and is only slightly slower. Comes with the huge (and better) change.

UTEOTW: I think it's as fast as the day they first played it.

EBTTRT: They haven't played it in forever so who knows how it would be now.

- The "Bullet The Blue Sky" version in ZooTV is the best version IMHO, they should play it like that all the time.

-SBS is another story, it works on so many different levels. The Popmart version is great, subtle, yet brutaly honest. The Blood Red Sky version is pure rock, the elevation is good too....I think thats what makes a truly great song, no matter how you play it, it still works.

-The Fly on Zoo is great, but the elevation version is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

- 11 o'clock is one of my favorite songs, But it is one that doesnt work slowed down.

-I Will Follow needs to kick some ass again, the popmart version is like a slow death....

honestly when i heard 11'oclock on elevation for the first time...it sounded like they were just learning the song and playing it for the first time. as though adam was playing slow just to get the chords right. it just died from there.

europop2005 said:
honestly when i heard 11'oclock on elevation for the first time...it sounded like they were just learning the song and playing it for the first time. as though adam was playing slow just to get the chords right. it just died from there.

Couldn't disagree more, this is why I love the later versions! Imo, the early versions seems rushed while the new, slow versions sounds much more accomplished. I think Adam owns this song now, this is the best example of how he has improved over the last 10 years or so. As I said earlier in this thread, he brings some funk into the song by playing slower, it just sounds better!

I Will Follow from Popmart is the biggest offender in my eyes. I can't listen to it now because i know it sounds so much better on other tours.

JulioArca said:

Couldn't disagree more, this is why I love the later versions! Imo, the early versions seems rushed while the new, slow versions sounds much more accomplished. I think Adam owns this song now, this is the best example of how he has improved over the last 10 years or so. As I said earlier in this thread, he brings some funk into the song by playing slower, it just sounds better!

100% agreed. As I wrote above in my long statement - the '00/'01 version sounds more mature. The band is playing tighter regarding drums and bass, Edge is exploding with his guitar solo and Bono is delivering the lyrics perfectly. Great ...

Back
Top Bottom