Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, SFS was real good. It sheds itself of much of its cheesiness when played like that. It would be great if they got Adam to play another acoustic guitar instead of bass on these unplugged versions. And Miracle is sounding better too. They're starting to nail that money part at the end.

I know, but a reworking or different interpretation of a classic isn't a "bad" thing.
If I hear Bad intertwined with a SOI live I will love it even more if possible...but what song will they attempt that with> Iris? TIWYCRMN Imagining where U2 can include Bad with the new stuff is a good thing.

Never been a fan of Miracle, but that was a great performance. SFS (with Adam and Larry) keeps getting better.

Judging by the feedback on twitter and fb, the acoustic Song For Someone generated much more positive buzz than the electric Miracle. So i guess this ''acoustic predilection'' is a welcomed twist to casual fans.

Well yeah. Most people enjoy these peformances. It's something fresh for them, and it's certainly working.

the band on Graham Norton was excellent!! great live versions and it was funny too - him taking the piss out of them etc.

Well yeah. Most people enjoy these peformances. It's something fresh for them, and it's certainly working.

I agree. It's kind of a new thing for them & I can totally see why it's being effective.

Miracle was nice & raw last night but SFS was the highlight - even if they did cut it short.

Me and my girlfriend watched the Graham Norton show,and she isn't a U2 fan at all. I asked her afterwards what she thought,she said the acoustic song was incredible and how can people hate Bono. He is funny witty,and seems genuine! High praise indeed.

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

It was a good idea for the band to actually be interviewed. With a performance it can be hard for the casual listener to see behind the bravado and 'egomania'.

When people don't see an act for 5 years, they start to distrust them, the interview allowed the band to show that they can be witty and charming and take the digs aimed at them with good grace.

Norton has been fairly vocal about the controversial implications of the release method of SOI so I thought he may tackle the issue more tonight. It was a pity he didn't in some ways as it might have enabled people to at least learn some of the things that motivated it, even if they didn't agree with it.

Anyway, I'm not surprised SFS is going down better than The Miracle, so much more immediate and anthemic.

Miracle was nice & raw last night but SFS was the highlight - even if they did cut it short.

I agree. SFS blew Miracle out of the water. It almost moved me to tears. Seeing the four of them so close together and Bono pouring so much passion and feeling into that performance. Major goosebumps.

Miracle was nice, but I feel they haven't yet figured out how to play it. Bono sounded out of breath and the mic/voice was weirdly tuned down. Apart from that, very energetic performance.

Miracle was nice, but I feel they haven't yet figured out how to play it. Bono sounded out of breath and the mic/voice was weirdly tuned down. Apart from that, very energetic performance.

I tought it was my television speakers that where mucking it up, but I agree it sounded like they where struggling a bit. I liked Edge's sound in the beginning, and after the intro it just felt kind of lost. But yeah, first times for U2 right.. We all know :wink:
They'll figure something out I hope. Sfs was really nice. Bono's voice was great there. And I don't even like the album version that much.

Its amazing how much can change when U2 plays live.

It was a good idea for the band to actually be interviewed. With a performance it can be hard for the casual listener to see behind the bravado and 'egomania'.

When people don't see an act for 5 years, they start to distrust them, the interview allowed the band to show that they can be witty and charming and take the digs aimed at them with good grace.

Anyway, I'm not surprised SFS is going down better than The Miracle, so much more immediate and anthemic.

Me and my girlfriend watched the Graham Norton show,and she isn't a U2 fan at all. I asked her afterwards what she thought,she said the acoustic song was incredible and how can people hate Bono. He is funny witty,and seems genuine! High praise indeed.

This is why the acoustic promo tour is a good idea. The band (read mostly Bono's) image as egomaniacal rock monsters has got to be cracked for this record to go anywhere with new audiences. Help remind folks that they have performance chops beyond the flashing lights, and most importantly to humanize them. The more interviews they do with the full band the better, as Bono really appears to his best when he's with them.

That said, the Norton performance of Miracle was a BIG improvement over the album version, which I can hardly stand to listen to. It was harsher and dirtier, with the drums higher in the mix-- much, much better.

Did I catch a very brief Zoo TV-ish moment during the Miracle? Bono throwing some shapes in front of the screen there. He obviously couldn't resist.

With a little more refinement it could become a very tasty live track by next year.

Did I catch a very brief Zoo TV-ish moment during the Miracle? Bono throwing some shapes in front of the screen there. He obviously couldn't resist.

With a little more refinement it could become a very tasty live track by next year.

100% shades of zoo tv? he even did the moves from the opening of zoostation

Judging by twitter the casuals loved the acoustic song for someone

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So let me figure this out just so I'm on the same page.

When the twitter casuals bash the release method, twitter is for "twatters" and U2 did the right thing.

When twitter casuals like acoustic Song For Someone, U2 did the right thing.

So moral of the story is, as far as interference goes, U2 always does the right thing.

But I still want a fucking full band electric promo show.

So moral of the story is, as far as interference goes, U2 always does the right thing.

LOL, pretty much. That's why the critics who liked the record "get it" and it's great having good buzz and the ones that didn't like it are idiots and who cares what critics say anyway.

But I still want a fucking full band electric promo show.

:up: I'm actually hoping for really negative feedback to all these acoustic sets they're playing, because I'm afraid they'll get the wrong idea and have some kind of extended acoustic interlude during the show.

Glad that the release strategy argument is making its way to every thread now!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

All I can say is that if they waste Cedarwood Rd in the acoustic set at an actual U2 concert I'm gonna be very pissed! EWB OR SFS? Sure why not? But CEDARWOOD was made to ROCK OUT IN ALL ITS GLORY, With an epic EXTENDED OUTRO!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom