Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

Continue, without personal attacks please.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:58 PM
About time!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:58 PM
This album, is pleasant on my ears
Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Believe it or not, I have not listened to the album in an entire week. I wanted to give it some breathing room after the initial excitement.

But tomorrow I'm road-tripping to the coast, and am going to blast the shit out of that sucker.

Edit: forgot the apparently obligatory
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:58 AM
I'm still really enjoying the album. I won't rate it yet, because I'm still in "new album euphoria".

The only songs I skip are RBW, Ceaders and Troubles. truth be told, they are not bad but they just don't do it for me(I do find aspects I like in all of them).

By contrast, at this same point with NLOTH, I was already skipping NLOTH, UC, SUC, WAS, FEZ, Ceaders and I really found most of them. I had no interest in listening to them anymore (I did continue to give them more spins here and there but nothing changes).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:58 PM
For me, even the two songs I think are the weakest, Miracle and Every Breaking Wave, are really starting to grow on me.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 11:58 PM
So I showed the rumored cover image to DH this evening. He enjoys U2, but isn't a huge fan and all he really knows about them is through me. I asked for his first impression. This is roughly how it went:

Me: Here's the image.
DH: Well, let's see. That's Larry Mullen Jr.
Me: Yep.
DH: That's a cool tattoo.
Me: Yep.
DH: How come he's the lucky one who gets to be on the cover?
Me: I don't know.
DH: Isn't he the one who's always pissed off?
Me: (shrugging) Some would say.
DH: (pauses) Do we know who the other gentleman is? He's not in the band.
Me: That's Larry's son.
DH: Ah. Cool. These guys really wear their hearts on their sleeves, so that makes sense. That's a great picture.
Me: Anything else?
DH: Well, some homophobic people might take issue with two shirtless men hugging, but I don't have a problem with that.

So there's hope for us Midwesterners yet

Also played the album for him. He loved it.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:58 AM
What I really like is the sense of TODAY MUSIC that I hear

I can hear these songs (or most of them) playing out against the radio friendly bands of today (Imagine dragons, Vampire Weekend, etc)

Like them coming down to play the kids at their own game.

The Miracle - The more I hear it, the less I like it. It's a good tune, but it IS an ad song. Live it could kill any momentum of the show. 7/10

Every Breaking Wave - I just love it and can't get enough of it. The rough ending could've been better - 9/10

California - THE BEST SONG IN THE ALBUM. Show stealer, show opener, it has everything a 2014 U2 song should have. - 10/10

Song For Someone - It's growing and growing on me. I like the choruses, though the guitar solo seems too Coldplay for me- 8/10

Iris - and then the album just collapses... The build up is great, the pre chorus too... and then: "uUuUuUuU.. Iris..." AAAAAGH!!! I HATE IT, LIKE HELL!!! Worst chorus ever, and I'm counting The Refugee... the guitar sucks, the bass OH MY GOD WHAT?!?! and Bono... It was going to be great, but then shot down in flames. Let's hope the live version can save it - 2-3/10

Volcano - great rock tune, but I could do without the weird voices and specially without that stupid VOL - CA - NO... that being said, the "Now you don't wanna you don't wanna know!" part is amazing. The first of the "will be great live" trio - 6/10

Raised By Wolves - I love how rock and roll this song and album is, I just wish it would be more obvious. - 7/10

Cedarwood Road - Great great tune! I has somewhat of a Muse vibe. This is U2 going Metal (in their world, of course... I just can see the headbanging during this song live) - 7/10

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - no no no no ... just a weird lullaby with an even weirder falsetto. I just can't take it. - 2/10

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - It's growing on me, especially the drums. I like the "haunted house" sounds. It reminds me of "Home By The Sea" of Genesis. But it has nothing to do with the rest of the album, to me. Just a B-Side. - 5/10

The Troubles - amazing. Amazing. If there were more diverse lyrics, Id' love it even more. The only "social" song of the album (to me). The "Someone else is in control" line gives me the chills... if they return from Encore with this then Bullet The Blue Sky, it will be gold! - 9/10

This album is not TOP 5 for me, but is a good album anyway. Sometimes it seems like a lot of singles mixed together, ever more so than HTDAAB. Sure, after hearing it like a 100 times you start to notice the differences, but the first ones just gave me the felling like they were all the same song, or just too identycal.

The first 4 can stand up on their own
The Rock trio (Volcano-Wolves/Cedarwood) will be killer live
The Troubles is great, just great.

I guess we can call it a 6-7/10
Not bad, really

I want to hear California live. That's all I need right now
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 05:58 AM
So far for me, this album is U2 at the top of their game, which they haven't been in many years. After a week and a half or so, it's still full of energy, and very, very well written musically and lyrically. I can play it over and over forever, which was not the case with the last few albums. Every single song is excellent. No preaching from Bono, just heartfelt lyrics, and it is the sound of the band revisiting their youth as mature people, which is also sad and inspirational in many ways. It is very well complemented by the U2.com fan club gift of the photo book.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Is this possibly a new unheard song at the 1:20 mark and on? Crazy falsetto!

Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
Is this possibly a new unheard song at the 1:20 mark and on? Crazy falsetto!

maybe The Crystal Ballroom?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpantazo View Post
maybe The Crystal Ballroom?
I was thinking that too! I'm intrigued by that little snipped what ever it is.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Believe it or not, I have not listened to the album in an entire week. I wanted to give it some breathing room after the initial excitement.
I've been giving it some breathing room as well. Heard TIWYCRM and Volcano during the past two days, and they still sound good.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I don't listen to the album too much because a. I don't have enough time and b. I don't want to spoil it. I still love it, don't skip a single song. Sleep like a baby and the Troubles are my favourite tunes - actually the first ones that hit me when I heard the album for the first time. Cedarwood has grown on me tremendously. I still think the second half is the stronger one. There's no song on it that I don't like. It's a really great album
Old 09-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
The only songs I skip are RBW, Ceaders and Troubles.

By contrast, at this same point with NLOTH, I was already skipping NLOTH, FEZ, Ceaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepokiss View Post
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - no no no no ... just a weird lullaby with an even weirder falsetto. I just can't take it. - 2/10

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - It's growing on me, especially the drums. I like the "haunted house" sounds. It reminds me of "Home By The Sea" of Genesis. But it has nothing to do with the rest of the album, to me. Just a B-Side. - 5/10