Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still in sign of being able to pre order in the uk?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I don't know what you are all hearing with Volcano. Is Adam up for a best bassist of the year Grammy or something? Yea, the bass sounds pretty good. That's about it.

The bass is what MAKES that song great. It's like "Do You Feel Loved" for the Clayton girls. Crank DYFL up in your car and the entire vehicle shakes and vibrates with that rhythm. Same with Volcano. Well done, Lord Clayton!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

This album is great- hope it brings the boys what they are looking for. Not sure it will be a hit but the negative reviews are way off. No weak tracks on the album at all. Many great U2 albums have rather weak second halves (Unforgettable Fire, POP, ATYCLB). But this one is strong to the end. The Troubles is probably their best album closer since "40"

The Troubles hype virus is strong ...

The only song I don't like on the album is Song For Someone.

Song for Someone is the only one I'm still not getting into. It's funny. Simon Le Bon said he wished he wrote that one, I think it would suit his voice/performance better than it does Bono's.

Even California is evolving into a guilty pleasure.

Volcano is fucking awesome.

I didn't care for Song for Someone until I started listening to all the covers of that song on Youtube. There are George Winston-ish piano takes, guitar takes, even one that sounds like dentist music.

When you strip this song down to its bare melody, you realize just how gorgeous it is. I think the biggest mistake they made with this one was including the band. It should be Bono and a piano or a guitar and nothing else. I think the loneliness of the song would come through better that way.

I didn't care for Song for Someone until I started listening to all the covers of that song on Youtube. There are George Winston-ish piano takes, guitar takes, even one that sounds like dentist music.

When you strip this song down to its bare melody, you realize just how gorgeous it is. I think the biggest mistake they made with this one was including the band. It should be Bono and a piano or a guitar and nothing else. I think the loneliness of the song would come through better that way.

I agree! I'm not big on SFS. I would give it a 5. Not bad but not great. But I must say, that a completely stripped down version might just do the trick.

I think the middle with the yeeeeeeaaahhh, yeeeaaah, yeah is sort of out of place filler. And the guitar is a bit standard Edge.

The end is really pretty though. I've actually listened through the song thinking, eh this is ok, sorta ho him, but then when the music drops and only the voice is left it's actually brought tears to my eyes. Crazy but true

I like SFS. Don't love it but if this is the weakest song on the album then that says a lot about the album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Great point. I'm betting the live version will feature something a little closer to that kind of delivery...maybe a quieter, extended outro.

I have issues with three tracks, though none are skip-worthy:

EBW: Love the verses, especially the second one where that "suspenseful" guitar part comes in, but the chorus is somewhat grating. Those cheesy keyboards are what really sinks it, not the vocal melody or the singing itself.

SFS: This one is somewhat the opposite: love the soaring chorus, the verses are bland but pretty. It's the aforementioned generic guitar solo and Bono unnecessarily yelling "yeah yeah yeah" over Edge's playing that rankles.

Iris: The verses, especially the TUF-style music, are great. The ending with the evocative, painful imagery is great. And I don't mind the "Hold me close" bridge. My main problem is the "woo woo woo Iris", which just seems out of place for this song. Is this the part that Chris Martin is rumored to be in? Then I hate it even more.

I'm really not sure how to even rank these songs against each other, aside from putting all three below everything else. Musically EBW and Iris are the more interesting tracks overall, but SFS is perhaps the most successful in what it sets out to do, and admirably ends abruptly without going over the top.

All I Want is You is an amazing song, classic U2. For me, it can't be touched by Troubles.

Best closers(87 to present):

1-AIWIY
2-Mothers
3-LIB
4-Troubles
5-Yawah
6-Grace
7-Wanderer
8-Ceaders
9-WUDM

Its too early yet to really gauge the Troubles but it could make top 3 or even 2 on my list

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

:coocoo: Wake Up Dead Man is one of the best closers ever!

I have issues with three tracks, though none are skip-worthy:

EBW: Love the verses, especially the second one where that "suspenseful" guitar part comes in, but the chorus is somewhat grating. Those cheesy keyboards are what really sinks it, not the vocal melody or the singing itself.

SFS: This one is somewhat the opposite: love the soaring chorus, the verses are bland but pretty. It's the aforementioned generic guitar solo and Bono unnecessarily yelling "yeah yeah yeah" over Edge's playing that rankles.

Iris: The verses, especially the TUF-style music, are great. The ending with the evocative, painful imagery is great. And I don't mind the "Hold me close" bridge. My main problem is the "woo woo woo Iris", which just seems out of place for this song. Is this the part that Chris Martin is rumored to be in? Then I hate it even more.

I'm really not sure how to even rank these songs against each other, aside from putting all three below everything else. Musically EBW and Iris are the more interesting tracks overall, but SFS is perhaps the most successful in what it sets out to do, and admirably ends abruptly without going over the top.

Pretty much agree with most of what you've said here. But I dislike EBW more for Bono's typical yearning vocal delivery and not so much for the keyboard sound. You've nailed the complaints on SFS perfectly though. But I still like it a lot for that glorious singalong chorus. With Iris, my biggest complaint is the overuse of the "hold me close" line. It doesn't help that the phrase is included in the title as well. But this is nitpicking I guess. Otherwise, I like Iris. It has grown on me a lot. The only other song I'd add to your list is California. Doesn't do much for me at all.

I don't have any issues with Bono's yearning vocals, because that's what he's all about as a singer, that's part of what makes a U2 song great. I love the chorus of EBW, I'm not so keen about the verses, I'd rather Bono would actually SING here instead of half-talking his way through, and the bridge was better n the live version.

His yearning vocal delivery reminds me of Enrique Iglesias. I much rather prefer his lower register and songs with a deeper vocal delivery with occasional falsetto... stuff like Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, Cedars Of Lebanon, Wake Up Dead Man, Babyface (love his singing there!), Peace On Earth, Dirty Day etc.

His yearning vocal delivery reminds me of Enrique Iglesias. I much rather prefer his lower register and songs with a deeper vocal delivery with occasional falsetto... stuff like Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, Cedars Of Lebanon, Wake Up Dead Man, Babyface (love his singing there!), Peace On Earth, Dirty Day etc.

Yes, agree totally. It's why for me SOI finishes so strong.

Just wanted to share a nice story with you guys.... (at least nice for me)
I have a daughter born right at the same time as NLOTH came out (Feb 09), she is 5,5 now and was very excited to hear the new U2 songs. Well, after 2 weeks she sings out loud in the car during Iris, Volcano, The Miracle, Cafifornia and Wolves..... so funny. She loves it!
Who said U2 is not able to get new young fans? :hyper:

Ok, daddy started the U2 brainwash back in 2009 already....:reject:

Just wanted to share a nice story with you guys.... (at least nice for me)
I have a daughter born right at the same time as NLOTH came out (Feb 09), she is 5,5 now and was very excited to hear the new U2 songs. Well, after 2 weeks she sings out loud in the car during Iris, Volcano, The Miracle, Cafifornia and Wolves..... so funny. She loves it!
Who said U2 is not able to get new young fans? :hyper:

Ok, daddy started the U2 brainwash back in 2009 already....:reject:

Nice to hear that story, man. :) My daughter was born in July 2013. She's 14 months old now. Let's see how she picks up on U2. I already play classic albums by Beatles, U2, Eagles and other kinds of pop/soft rock. She is showing all signs of loving music so far.

Nice to hear that story, man. :) My daughter was born in July 2013. She's 14 months old now. Let's see how she picks up on U2. I already play classic albums by Beatles, U2, Eagles and other kinds of pop/soft rock. She is showing all signs of loving music so far.

hehe.... keep going, it will work (at least until she reaches 10....) then the Pop shit will take over, hopefully not.

Mine has been raised with U2, The Cure, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Black Sabbath, System of a down, Pearl Jam, REM, Queen of the stone age, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles.....and Adele / Amy Whinehouse (need to calm her down sometimes :lol:)

She loves them all! :D

hehe.... keep going, it will work (at least until she reaches 10....) then the Pop shit will take over, hopefully not.

Mine has been raised with U2, The Cure, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Black Sabbath, System of a down, Pearl Jam, REM, Queen of the stone age, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles.....and Adele / Amy Whinehouse (need to calm her down sometimes :lol:)

She loves them all! :D

Wow that's quite a list! I haven't gone overboard yet with so many artists :lol: but I do intend to expose her to REM... the greatest American band ever in my mind. Then slowly maybe I'll bring in the mellower tracks of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pumpkins etc. Don't want to drown a 14 month old in hard rock just yet! haha

Wow that's quite a list! I haven't gone overboard yet with so many artists :lol: but I do intend to expose her to REM... the greatest American band ever in my mind. Then slowly maybe I'll bring in the mellower tracks of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pumpkins etc. Don't want to drown a 14 month old in hard rock just yet! haha

Ava Adore (the song) is a nice soft start to introduce The Smashing.....

Anyway, enjoy it, this goes too fast and there are great unforgettable moments when your kid sings and loves the music that's been around for 20-30 years when we were young :hmm:

enjoy it while it lasts - i thought i gave my kids a really thorough music education, introducing them to all kinds of great music, thought i had all bases covered

and then my son discovered Slipknot :D

My daughter seems to love percussion and songs that have a distinctive beat. I love that! It (hopefully) means that she will not be a softie and run to the commercial pop stuff so easily... but who knows! :lol: Maybe I should play her Volcano... hehe

Pretty much all of Adore would be a great 'softer' introduction. :up:

But Adore is a grower though. At least it was for me. I did not like that album much on first listen. The easiest introduction to the Pumpkins I think is popular stuff from Mellon Collie like Tonight Tonight and 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom