Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the album on today after a long break,still love it. Its really up there for me!

I think overall fans like SOI and over time will remain regarded as one of U2's better albums by fans. After close to eight months I think it's safe to say that SOI has met fan's expectations and exceeded some. SOI ranks higher with fans than NLOTH and even HTDAAB, so for that reason alone I'm happy. Look at all the 4 and 5 star Amazon reviews!
I'm glad to see U2 working with Chegg. It's good to see them trying to get the college crowd and even high school fans, even though that's hard. Who knows, maybe once the tour starts and SFS gets released maybe they'll get new fans.

I think overall fans like SOI and over time will remain regarded as one of U2's better albums by fans. After close to eight months I think it's safe to say that SOI has met fan's expectations and exceeded some. SOI ranks higher with fans than NLOTH and even HTDAAB, so for that reason alone I'm happy. Look at all the 4 and 5 star Amazon reviews!
I'm glad to see U2 working with Chegg. It's good to see them trying to get the college crowd and even high school fans, even though that's hard. Who knows, maybe once the tour starts and SFS gets released maybe they'll get new fans.

new fans from SFS?......Probably not but we can hope.:cute:

Overall SOI has much better 'pop' songs than NLOTH, I think. And its low points are not as embarassing as NLOTH's.
It's just that it doesn't have the edgier ones (no pun intended) like Being Born or MOS that I find absolutely immense.
But as I understood that was the actual idea this time - to make it as direct and straightforward as they could. And they've really suceeded in doing that in my opinion. Most of the tracks seem like they'll work even better in a live setting.

I might rank Bomb above SOI, but I don't hate Bomb like a lot of fans seem to. It's a decent batch of songs with no cohesion. Better melodies than SOI, but worse lyrics and production. It's a wash, with the nod going to Bomb because I have so many memories attached to it.

Last edited:
I take back my BOMB insult. I listened to it fairly recently and it's not THAT bad. Still pretty awful, but LAPOE, Crumbs and OOTS sounded a lot better.

Bomb has better melodies than SOI? SOI has U2's best melodies in 20 years. Bomb might be better than some records, but none of those albums are anything but shit. Even the songs that had promise are ruined by either a bridge or chorus that is jarring. Their songwriting instincts were way off on that album. The less said about the production, singing, lyrics, or arrangements the better.

I think the melodies on Bomb are perfectly OK. They resonated with casual fans for a reason; they're catchy as fuck. Is that a good thing? Not necessarily, but they stuck with me more than SOI's melodies which, outside of California and Lykke Li's hook on The Troubles, never quite stick. That's obviously subjective, but hey.

NLOTH wasn't an especially catchy record either, but it filled that void with surprising arrangements and the band allowed themselves to experiment a bit more than they do on SOI, so that lack of a standout catchy U2 anthem is no big deal.

I think that if you ask a lot of fans outside of the hardcore ones on forums, the ranking might be quite different. :) With most casual fans, Bomb was a great album and NLOTH and SOI rank way lower.

I think that if you ask a lot of fans outside of the hardcore ones on forums, the ranking might be quite different. :) With most casual fans, Bomb was a great album and NLOTH and SOI rank way lower.

Definitely the general public perception of Bomb is and will remain much higher than No Line or Songs of Innocence. Only question now is how much the tour may or may not help SOI's perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom