Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But Adore is a grower though. At least it was for me. I did not like that album much on first listen. The easiest introduction to the Pumpkins I think is popular stuff from Mellon Collie like Tonight Tonight and 1979.

Adore is one of my favorite albums period.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Songs Of Innocence is just...full of the U2 magic so absent in their last 3 albums, and that's part of the shock. They did it again. Took them longer but did it anyway and, at least for me, it really was worth the wait. I'm truly happy for what the band acomplished here.

This thing we all share about needing more and more listens to be able to rank the songs, rank the album, really get it all in...that's the same thing that happened to me when I first listened to Achtung Baby, to Zooropa and to The Unforgettable Fire. And it's the opposite of what I thought after listening for the first time ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH, where I really really liked a lot most of those songs instantly, and I still do, but the faster I liked them...the faster I lost interest in discovering them, and the faster I phased out of those albums

It's like when you go walking down the street and you see a really beautiful woman and you might linger on her for a few seconds before shily turning away and keep going on with your life with no after thought at all... that's ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH for me. I love those albums for personal reasons, but they never captivated me.

And on the side of greatness, imagine the same scenario, beautifull woman passes you by but you just can't turn your eyes away, can't ignore the connection made, can't shake the spell and the effect it had on you...that's AB, TJT, TUF, for me. Love for life. You just HAVE to return to that album, to those songs, to that place and those feelings. They become part of you.
Songs Of Innocence SO belongs in this category.

I've never really known about the reasons myself, but it's as far away from a typical Smashing Pumpkins album as a Smashing Pumpkins album could possibly get.

:coocoo: Wake Up Dead Man is one of the best closers ever!

I really wish they'd have played this song to its full potential live. I'm talking full band, extended outro with a guitar solo added in. Could've really kicked ass, I think.

I hope I get to see the majority of the new songs live. I'm hoping to attend a 2 nighter, probably Chicago, so i should get some variety in the sets. I imagine the miracle, EBW, SFS and Iris will be played nightly, and probably California and Volcano will be played frequently if not always. I really want some of the 2nd half songs to find their way in there! Cedarwood Road and TIWYCRMN are my current favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Considering that I was fully prepared for this album to be Ordinary Love level terrible, I'm been surprised, pleasantly so, that I like every song on this record to one degree or another. Is there an all time classic on here? I don’t know. A song that would crack my top 10? Not yet. But I'm really enjoying all these tunes. It's an easy record to listen to, and at the moment fits into my life quite nicely.

Oh, and yes, Happy Birthday U2! I'll compose a birthday message to you later.

Great point. I'm betting the live version will feature something a little closer to that kind of delivery...maybe a quieter, extended outro.

Imagine a stripped down version of this song fading out, and the synths for Streets kicking in,,,,

Yesterday I suggested on a FB fan page that SFS would be the perfect lead in for Streets.

"If there is a light, don't let it go out." *cue red lights and Streets intro*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Whoops,,didn't realize someone already beat me to that idea,,,

Yesterday I suggested on a FB fan page that SFS would be the perfect lead in for Streets.

Oh, this is brilliant (if you'll excuse the pun).

Seriously, great idea and I'd love to see this.

His yearning vocal delivery reminds me of Enrique Iglesias. I much rather prefer his lower register and songs with a deeper vocal delivery with occasional falsetto... stuff like Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, Cedars Of Lebanon, Wake Up Dead Man, Babyface (love his singing there!), Peace On Earth, Dirty Day etc.

2v3qayw.jpg

Btw, Happy U2 Day. :)

September 25 should be an international holiday :wink:

Yeah, it should be. I'm marathoning DVDs while cleaning and baking cupcakes (might decorate a couple for U2 while Im at it).

Whoops,,didn't realize someone already beat me to that idea,,,

Oh, this is brilliant (if you'll excuse the pun).

Seriously, great idea and I'd love to see this.

Pun excused. ;)

Seriously though, the entire place would just ERUPT. The casuals and hardcores alike would be awestruck and there wouldn't be a dry eye in the place. We need to find a way to contact the band and make this happen!

Seriously though, the entire place would just ERUPT. The casuals and hardcores alike would be awestruck and there wouldn't be a dry eye in the place. We need to find a way to contact the band and make this happen!
p

I particularly like that it connects an old song with a new one, giving both added resonance. I think it's a fantastic idea.

After the last time listening to this album on the drive home this evening,another thought came to my mind. Admittedly I'm not a guitar expert at all, I grew up in a household that was musical but my father decided instead of drums or guitar I would wa l k in his shoes and play piano. Which I still today could "clunk" out a tune. My guitar experience is no more than 3 chords (and yes the truth). But I do enjoy the guitar heroes, Page, Clapton, Beck, The Edge..... Sadly I found him missing t h e last couple of albums. Not in a bad way, there was some good work done by him, subtly. But this album we seen to have a revitalized Edge. Sound wise it's incredible, I really think he steals the show and I couldn't be happier. Again untrained ears and older ears here but there's a clarity in his playing, I was talking to another fan today at work and told him even at his fuzziest on the album there's a beautiful clarity. Cheers!

Great idea :up:

There are so many overt and subtle references to bands from the 70s that influenced U2. Invisible sounds like an homage/awesome ripoff of Love Will Tear Us Apart. Miracle is about listening to Joey Ramone. This is Where...is about seeing the Clash and steals from the most delicious Echo and the Bunnymen songs.

I do love the SFS -> Streets idea but I'm pretty sure nothing can top Bad -> 40 Snippet -> Streets for me. :drool:

I do love the SFS -> Streets idea but I'm pretty sure nothing can top Bad -> 40 Snippet -> Streets for me. :drool:

Yep, one of the greatest segues......
There's also a great one coming out of RTSS on the ZOO TV Tour.

Please is my favourite segue song into Streets, I'm not sure anything can top that (despite the several worthy contenders).

I concur with the sentiment that a different song stands out to me on each listen. California didn't strike me as anything special on the first listen, yet now it might be my favourite song on the album...it's just such perfect pop/rock and if there's any justice, it'll be that big radio hit U2 is yearning for.

Please is my favourite segue song into Streets, I'm not sure anything can top that (despite the several worthy contenders).

:up:

Please-Streets is number one for me, followed by RTSS-Streets. Song For Someone followed by Streets could work brilliantly! Good idea.

Hm, could someone post a link of Please>Streets?

Also, can I say how stoked I am to see CK and Nick agreeing on something? I think just for that, the band will make it happen. :D

I’m really hoping this whole campaign works for the group, the high-impact approach has clearly got people talking about U2 again but so far it’s been nothing but sound and fury. In order for this thing to have any kind of proper momentum it has to come back to the music. What the band needs is that one elusive tune to catch the attention of the casual listener. Does SOI have it? I’m not sure.

As a collection of songs it’s the strongest U2 have produced in years and certainly a leap up from either Bomb or NLOTH, but I think its resonance lies in hearing it as a single piece.

U2’s most successful singles are generally the ones that have a simple, direct idea at the heart of them, WOWY, One, Desire or Beautiful Day, I’m concerned The Miracle could get lost in the shuffle if people don’t bother to actually recognise the sentiment at the core of the song. EBW is the other obvious contender but for me the verses are still the most interesting part of this track and the chorus feels more banal. Maybe it’ll work, maybe not.

The biggest obstacle for U2 to overcome is simply where they are in their career and had a younger, hipper band produced the likes of Volcano or Song for Someone I could see those songs finding a longer life with the mainstream.

I guess we’ll find out, but U2 are desperate men right now, which is often the best place for them. They work better when they’re striving to climb the mountain rather than when they are at the top of it. All the elements for something wildly successful are there, I’m just hoping the power of the music can penetrate the hubbub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom