Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I thought we needed a thread to discuss the album as a whole...

So U2 just surpassed Taylor Swifts album on iTunes in the U.S. - Joshua Tree is at number 19 and she is at 20. This puts 8 albums of theirs in the top 50 now. And rising.

It looks like Apple got the message about people are having a hard time actually getting the album, and why.
I just received an email this morning explaining that they had given me the new U2 album. LOL

Will be listening to it for the 6th time later today. My song rankings have been mostly unchanged - what a fantastic album.

Yes, we've had 8 million threads about a possible album. Now it's finally here! Rejoice! RS Mag gave it 5 stars! Woo Hoo!

So U2 just surpassed Taylor Swifts album on iTunes in the U.S. - Joshua Tree is at number 19 and she is at 20. This puts 8 albums of theirs in the top 50 now. And rising.

BUT ONLY 200,000 PPL DOWNLOADED THE ALBUM THAT WAS FORCED UPON THEM U2 SUX AND R SO NOT REVELNT ALOS I HAIT B0NO

I'm waiting to see the articles that mention the fact that an album from 1987 is in the top 20. U2 achieved exactly what they were hoping for by releasing it the way they did.

and on the original thread topic - yes. Song of Innocence. I'm a fan. Wayyy too early for me to try and rank it among other U2 albums, but I'm quite impressed with this one. It manages to channel every decade from the 60s through to today and yet sound more modern than anything they released in the 00s.

It's early days, but I'm getting a stronger sense from this one than I ever did from No Line.

Immediately, I loved Moment of Surrender; strongly liked No Line on the Horizon and White as Snow, but that's about it. The rest ranged from okay, but nothing earth-shattering to stuff I don't feel like listening to.

This one intrigues me more with every listen. There is some fantastic material. As always, a couple will probably get skipped down the road as I listen, but it seems much stronger to me.

Part of it is the musical biography of the teen years nature of this album. To me that's a more compelling theme than bland, cliched statements about love and community.

Yes, thank you! Been missing this thread.

The word I am leaning towards when describing this album is "consistent", much more than probably anything they've put out in the 2000's. It's highs may not reach as high as those on ATYCLB and maybe some of Bomb, but damn, there's really not a clunker on the album. (Volcano straddles the line)

This album is really starting to grow on me. The tracks are separating themselves from each other, and I'm beginning to get a really good feel for each one.

One impression is that this record overall just has a good vibe to it. This isn't pissed, annoyed, preachy, Bono. I feel good while I'm listening to it and after after it's over. There's no LAPOE telling the world to go fuck itself, nor agonising over Chinese stocks and the tough life of a rock star. IMO it's actually U2 at their most honest and, at times, unabashedly joyful since Beautiful Day. Not that the subject of the songs is always joyful...but the overall feeling I get from it is positivity....not angst. It's actually pretty gutsy move by U2 to be so unabashedly earnest in the age of snark & irony. This is really making me excited about them again, liking them again, and respecting them again.

I really hope it's an arena tour, and I hope the mostly leave the politics mostly out of this one and make it about the music.

Yes, thank you! Been missing this thread.

The word I am leaning towards when describing this album is "consistent", much more than probably anything they've put out in the 2000's. It's highs may not reach as high as those on ATYCLB and maybe some of Bomb, but damn, there's really not a clunker on the album. (Volcano straddles the line)

Good description.

On the Volcano note, I'd say U2's rock is always better when it's subverted. Despite the aggressiveness of it, the textures of The Fly and Ultraviolet lend a beauty that the overt stuff like All Because of You and Stand Up Comedy seem oblivious too.

I've truly & unashamedly fallen for SOI.

I know it's only been a couple of days but whatever, I'm going with it.

Such a good album.

It took so long I had almost forgot U2 could be this good. I figured they'd lost it; that the reason we hadn't gotten anything was that they didn't have it anymore, that there simply wasn't enough juice to produce a whole album worth of good songs. Boy, was I proven wrong about that. It might've taken ages, but what has come out of it (so far) is excellent.

History is a burden for U2 when comes to this album; there is only that many times you can play the "comeback"-card; there is 35 years of content to compare to. There is also the peculiar way the album was released, that for many critics might be a more interesting story than the music itself.

But I hold this album very close to my heart: it has cemented my belief in this band. A band 38 years into their career shouldn't be able to create content so fresh and alive, yet with this feeling of being "old", like it's been there forever. U2 can, though.

Even if they go away for 5 more years (though I find it more likely they'd quit, to be honest) I'd be here with my faith in them coming back with more great music for us. Thanks, guys. :wave:

I did hear 'Raised By Wolves' on the Spectrum (XM channel 28) today.

This is a crazy, good song. The high pitched chorus gives me shivers...I can feel the intensity of the lyric (and meaning of the song) without feeling I'm being force fed something 'important'...the production and song writing on this album is top notch.

The one adjective I read more than any other is "cohesive"

I always thought Achtung Babycaptured of the spirit in The Beatles' Revolver - immortal, pushing the limits, taking the sounds of the current scene and creating something far, far better.

With the tight production/mixing - this one reminds me of Abbey Road. Not in the sense that I think this is the end of U2 as a band - but in the sense they are Masters of the Craft, adding to their already established legacy.

Does anyone here have any radio connections? To at least find out if there has been any push from the U2 camp to radio? And do we know when the first Apple ads will air?

While there are a few tracks I'm so-so about (for now), this is the first album since AB that I don't want to fast forward past a single song. Even if the arrangement itself isn't grabbing my attention right now, there are lyrical gems in every single tune that I want to hear.

I didn't like having to wait five years for new music, but at least now I feel the wait was worth it. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom