Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm offended. It's a beautiful picture of a father's love for his son, and a couple posters are insisting that it's "weird" and "disgusting." There's nothing weird or disgusting about a father hugging his son, with or without shirt.

I find the reaction disgusting.

It would be a perfect album cover for SOI. Not only is is a great picture of a father's love for his son, it's the older U2 members holding on to their past selves in a way, and that's what the album is, U2 revisiting their youth.

Just so I have this right, we've gone from arguing about criticism of the iTunes rollout to 500 million people and the resulting TwitchFest (a/k/a Twitter Bitch Fest) to arguing about an album cover that was released on October 14...nearly 4 weeks from now. And this back-and-forth proves time travel does exist.

I get what they're going for in that pic, but I just don't like it. I don't think it works. Larry's position is unnatural and therefore "weird." The shirtless thing is also unusual. One or the other might have worked but both makes the picture rather strange. Cutting Jr. Jr.'s face off also gives him an unsettling "faceless" look. Put it all together and it's no surprise that the initial impression is that this picture is a bit pervy. Obviously we know it's father and son, but again we can't see Elvis's face so the resemblance is not there.

A stronger picture along the same lines would have been the two hugging each other (maybe in profile). Message would have been clearer.

The point is that when the general public sees this photo, they're not going to think, "Oh, what a nice photo of a father and son embracing each other! Aww, how nice." We know what's going on, but other people won't, and some will read sexual things into it. Maybe U2 don't care about that and are trying to be edgy, but there will be misinterpretations if they use this photo. It doesn't mean that people are stupid (which is an elitist thing to say), it's just human nature. It's not a huge deal to me personally, and I can live with it, but I do think it's a strange choice. But oh well, let's just see what happens next.

Hey I'm happy anyway that Bono's goggles and Edge's beanie ain't there.

:lol:

I was actually thinking about this this morning; not so much the sunglasses, they don't bother me that much(except the Time cover ones are hideous), but can you image waking up every morning and putting on a beanie?

He should have a sit down with Michael Stipe.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's controversial. It's purposely so. Art is supposed to be controversial. It certainly isn't Maplethorpe- it's two men embracing, even if you don't know it's father and son. It's really an image up for interpretation- just like the music is. In context of the theme of the album, it works really well. That said, this will spark lots of attention. That's exactly what U2 want. The only issue I have with it, is if it is blatant sensationalism for the sake of sensationalism. Isn't that kind of what Larry said about Passengers?

Let us look at this from a different perspective.
General public has no idea that this is his son, many of them can't even recognize Larry.
If it is like this than this is a photo of two adult males with their shirts off.
So if someone thinks that such photo is disgusting dies that make him/her homophobic?
If it was two adults, male and female, shirtless - would that then be "beautiful"?

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

Let us look at this from a different perspective.
General public had no idea that this is how son, many of them can't even recognize Larry.
If it is like this than this is a photo of two adult males with their shirts off.
So if someone thinks that such photo is disgusting dies that make him/her homophobic?
If it was two adults, male and female, shirtless - would that then be "beautiful"?

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

If it were a mother and a son it would be sweet.

If it were two women, hot.

If it were man and women, platinum seller.

:lol:

I was actually thinking about this this morning; not so much the sunglasses, they don't bother me that much(except the Time cover ones are hideous), but can you image waking up every morning and putting on a beanie?

He should have a sit down with Michael Stipe.

Forget the music. I want the Experimental Hat Phase!

It would be a perfect album cover for SOI. Not only is is a great picture of a father's love for his son, it's the older U2 members holding on to their past selves in a way, and that's what the album is, U2 revisiting their youth.

:up: I thin it has more to do with the members of U2 seeing the end coming closer and trying to hold on to the youth.

https://twitter.com/U2uruguay/status/513116583599026178

Bx700A9IMAApvNj.jpg

WTH Has happened here in the last 12 hours that I left you kids to go to work. Arguing about a picture that may or MAY NOT be the album cover shouting every epitaph including phobia and phobic word in the book... I have a great idea, relax, spark one up, pour cocktail put on SOI and enjoy.. there everyone getting along... oh wait this is Interland... please go on discussing. Also, Edge would look great in a pirate hat.... yaaaaarrrrr!

Hey I'm happy anyway that Bono's goggles and Edge's beanie ain't there.

:lmao: Thank you for making me laugh after such a depressing read through all the dodgy reactions to the photo of Larry and his son!

Like quite a few people have already highlighted:

1) Non U2 fans will just assume that it's two men who aren't related. Therefore, if they have an issue, then they're a pathetic homophobe, and quite frankly, who gives a f*ck what they think?
2) How on earth does he "look like a child"... isn't he like, 19? Lol.
3) Just because there are two human beings who are in physical contact, why does that make it sexual? Surely it's down to our personal interpretation of the photograph?

I'm a firm believer that people will see what they want to see. I was in a closeted relationship for many years, and I'm sure even if we'd made out on the kitchen table, people would've still turned a blind eye to our relationship and lived in denial.

Conversely with this image: it is what it is, a father and son in an embrace of sorts. Not sexual in any way, so surely anyone's interpretation of it being so is down to their own perverse minds?

Is it too late to say I HATE Iris?

Well, not all of it, but that awful chorus. Everything is awful. the song was going greatn, then... "iris..." , that crappy guitar, choruses and the bass... :angry:

And if I can have no recolection of "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" and "This Is blbalablabla", the better. :down:

The Troubles + the first 4 = :love:

And the power trio of Volcano/Wolves/Cedarwood will be a powerhouse live. I just can sense it. On the record they're not that amazing, but have potential live.
If those 8 make the cut, we're ok

That's all :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom