Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there is now rumors that this is only the first of 3 albums - this one exploring the 70s the second exploring the 80s and the 3rd 90s to current day.

Has any one seen any comments from Eno or Danny Lanois? I know that (most) of us have a lot of respect for these amazing artists, and I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.

For me, everything from Volcano through the end is damn near perfect, and the first two tracks are pretty good. I'm kind of "meh" on the rest of it, but considering this is a band that has been releasing albums for almost 35 years, I'm OK with that.

Apparently there is now rumors that this is only the first of 3 albums - this one exploring the 70s the second exploring the 80s and the 3rd 90s to current day.

I doubt the decade themes, doesn't really make any sense. I think an innocence, experience, and perhaps ascent. But honestly at this point I doubt the third one.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So utterly surprised at the clarity and freshness of this album - really really enjoying it. And loving The Troubles. That's an absolute blinder.
Some great riffs, some stunning lyrics.
Perhaps some of the choruses are lacking the confidence of earlier decades... Hard to explain, but Bono used to give the choruses so much air. Fewer words, clear melodies, and they just reverberated around the car/house/stadium. I'm thinking Pride, Streets, Bad, WOWY, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day. Not so much of that on this album.
But you know what? Who gives a shit. It's creative, it's deep, it's really really good, and as a U2 fan since the eighties I'm so utterly stoked I still get to hear new and amazing stuff from them.
Did I mention The Troubles? Brilliant piece of music!

Has any one seen any comments from Eno or Danny Lanois? I know that (most) of us have a lot of respect for these amazing artists, and I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.

Daniel is busy with his new album:

Listen to Daniel Lanois’ Hypnotic ‘Opera’ From His New Album ‘Flesh and Machine’ - Speakeasy - WSJ

He already liked the earlier version of the album.

Eno doesn't usually like U2 so it doesn't really matter what he thinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYoZfNEoy1g
2:19​

I doubt the decade themes, doesn't really make any sense. I think an innocence, experience, and perhaps ascent. But honestly at this point I doubt the third one.

Exactly, and Bono gave a warning about the second one because of the delay of the first one.

Anyone else not liking the cover?

I'm hoping that it's only a provisional cover because this one just doesn't feel like it's an "official" album to me.

Is anyone else getting this vibe?

"I think"
"I'm guessing"
"I think"
"I'd say"

Exactly. I love that fans are optimistic enough to think that three is a possibility. But based off of what Bono said, I'm going to assume for now that we'll be lucky to a second one soon until someone in the band says otherwise.

On top of that, I'm really glad that we'll be getting two new tracks on top of a bunch of other ones next month too.

I'm hoping that it's only a provisional cover because this one just doesn't feel like it's an "official" album to me.

I kinda like it, but I'm worried how the actual vinyl release is going to look. If it's just a print of that on some cardboard, it's going to look stupid.

I like it. I'm getting some kind of 'early days' vibe from it.

I kinda like it, but I'm worried how the actual vinyl release is going to look. If it's just a print of that on some cardboard, it's going to look stupid.

It's U2. They've always had great covers. It feels like this one was just lazy. I can see what they were trying to do and the fact that it ties in with the way it was released but it's still missing something.

I'm only assuming this cover is just to go along with the "surprise" release, almost like they were releasing it as soon as the music was done (although obviously they did liner notes and pictures). I'll be surprised if the physical release doesn't have a different cover.

I'm only assuming this cover is just to go along with the "surprise" release, almost like they were releasing it as soon as the music was done (although obviously they did liner notes and pictures). I'll be surprised if the physical release doesn't have a different cover.

I initially thought that as well, but the style of the liner notes matches the cover pretty well, so I'd be a little surprised if they went a different direction at this point. But who knows...maybe they'll shock everyone again and release SOE right alongside the SOI physical release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom