Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hoping for a new single on Friday. I know TBT is quite divisive here, and the direction GOOYOW seemed to be going might be more universally appreciated.

Album info - we know it is coming, so that doesn’t concern me as much as hearing new music, and hearing about a tour

Id say it’s 10% likely we get a new song on Friday.

We’ll get the official album announcement between Friday and December 1st

I'd give a new single about a 25% chance. TBT has only been out 40 days. And there's 43 days til the album... Best thing is still gaining a bit at radio. But not uncommon for artists to put out a couple songs closer together now. So it's a toss up.

I would love to get a new song on Friday or very near future. But would really love to get the tracklisting, album cover, and see it up for presale. Would REALLY love it if they would let you listen to samples of The Blackout or Little Things if you pre-order... something cool like that.

I tend to lean toward us getting new music prior to the album release and likely in line with when the pre-orders go up(buy the album now and get this new tune). The pre-orders will almost definitely be when the announcement is made...so....I will say 90% chance we get new music when the album is announced.

Not to mention that TBT was released nearly 85 or so days prior to the widely expected album date. That is a significant amount of time between the first single and album release, which is usually 30-60 Days. Subsequently, this Friday would be right in the middle of that 30-60 day range ;)

I'd say we're 100% likely to hear new music when the album announcement is made.

Whether or not that is Friday, I don't know.

Agreed here.

There's no reason U2 can't have two songs out at one time. I mean, they've released about 15 versions of Best Thing.

Meanwhile, Tay Tay who is probably much owner of the charts in recent years, released two songs within a few weeks of each other.

Yes, these days releasing singles even 2-3 weeks apart isn't unheard of, so having another single 5-6 weeks after the first is no big deal. Still think we will get another single, album announcement AND tour announcement all at once - whether that is indeed Friday, we shall see.

We have at least a couple of good sources saying we'll get the announcement this Friday. Though it is a little troubling how quiet things seem... maybe we'll have to wait a little longer.
I suspect maybe it'll be next Friday, when the JT tour is all good and done with.

I suspect maybe it'll be next Friday, when the JT tour is all good and done with.

I mean, that would make more sense. I know Headache disagreed but, really, Best Thing hasn't had huge promotion - certainly not outside of the US. Yes, they've released a few versions, a few videos, but they haven't gone and promoted it as much as expected from a band who wants to be number 1.

And that is probably because they've been otherwise engaged.

So it would make sense to release the album details when they're free to do the talk shows etc.

Or... is there a saturation point with those shows? ie you can only really appear once every year or so, so they're waiting until the album is actually released before they do the media rounds?

I mean, that would make more sense. I know Headache disagreed but, really, Best Thing hasn't had huge promotion - certainly not outside of the US. Yes, they've released a few versions, a few videos, but they haven't gone and promoted it as much as expected from a band who wants to be number 1.

And that is probably because they've been otherwise engaged.

So it would make sense to release the album details when they're free to do the talk shows etc.

Or... is there a saturation point with those shows? ie you can only really appear once every year or so, so they're waiting until the album is actually released before they do the media rounds?
I don't disagree that they haven't hit everyone over the head with a sledgehammer, which they've done before. I think they're taking a more subtle approach this time after the awfulness that was thr SOI release.

It's still been promoted heavily, just not in the usual WE NEED TO BE EVERYWHERE AT ALL TIMES CAUSE WE'RE U2 way of promotion.

They apparently filmed a TV thing this week for whatever South American country they're in now, so that's something.

Sherry with atu2 just tweeted this:

"Bill Flanagan on @siriusxmvolume Debatable right now: @U2's Songs of Experience better than Achtung Baby."

Said he's listened to the album several times and is convinced of this. Quite an endorsement.

That is such a bold, seemingly impossible claim. But it still made me very excited to hear it lol

She just tweeted this too:
"if you're still an old guy with headphones on, SoE takes you on a journey like Achtung Baby - Bill Flanagan re: listening to SoE in running order"

"Bill Flanagan on @siriusxmvolume Debatable right now: @U2's Songs of Experience better than Achtung Baby."

Said he's listened to the album several times and is convinced of this. Quite an endorsement.

I like all the songs we've heard, but apart from mayyyyybe The Blackout being worthy slipping in there somewhere I'd say none of them are better than anything on AB. So the rest would have to be pretty damn good for that to be my opinion as well. It's nearly impossible; it's not just about some definition of the songs' quality, it's what those songs on AB were at that time in that context coming off of Rattle and Hum, and the whole aura surrounding that album. It's all of those together that makes AB good.

At this point Songs of Experience would have to shock me not just in terms of how good the songs are, but what they sound like, to make me think it's better.

Well if SOE has anything remotely close to the quality of So Cruel, I'll eat all my recent words. I just don't think they are capable any more of creating a song like that.

I'm very interested in hearing American Soul; I wonder how much of that really nice instrumental from Kendrick Lamar's XXX was U2 and how much was him and his producers. I hope it's a lot like what it was on that song, but expanded of course. The vibe reminds me of the mid-late 90's when they made songs like Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad, and If You Wear That Velvet Dress, which I love.

I think you missed one small piece. He said Best since AB. He initially said Best since HTDAAB then walked it down to AB. From everything else he spoke about I am betting this is ATYCLB part deux

He played a small clip of the album version of The Blackout. Definitely a lot more going on there than in the live take. Sounds good!

I think you missed one small piece. He said Best since AB. He initially said Best since HTDAAB then walked it down to AB. From everything else he spoke about I am betting this is ATYCLB part deux

This makes more sense...

Also, who else here remembers Eno saying Breathe was the best song U2 had ever written?

Nevertheless, nice to see a positive endorsement from a respected figure

Actually Mr Flanagan is browning his nose in an attempt to be selected as travelling wall fly/author of After the End of the World - on tour with U2 in 2018

I think it was Danny Lanois that mentioned that there were hints of Achtung Baby on No Line... at least in terms of inventiveness or something like that.

Yeaaaaaaah I'm going to take this with a giant grain of salt.

... but still: :hyper:

This makes more sense...

Also, who else here remembers Eno saying Breathe was the best song U2 had ever written?

Nevertheless, nice to see a positive endorsement from a respected figure

Actually Mr Flanagan is browning his nose in an attempt to be selected as travelling wall fly/author of After the End of the World - on tour with U2 in 2018

I thought he said that about Stuck in a Moment?

He played a small clip of the album version of The Blackout. Definitely a lot more going on there than in the live take. Sounds good!

I have been saying for sometime that the production of Blackout could make it a great song as the live version made it difficult to make out any addition layers. I really need to find this mini clip now as I am very excited to hear what you are talking about!

I can't explain it well but there seemed to be more electronics and more space in the music. Partly due to the lack of crowd noise I imagine.

Caught some of the Bono interview on Sirius, nice to hear Bono talking for an extended time. It's been a while since I've heard more than a talk show interview. Will have to see if I can catch the first half of the interview somewhere.

Not to get all PLEBA-Y*, but man. That guy has a LOVELY speaking voice. I could listen to him talk for hours, as long it wasn't hours of his cliched Bono Phrases.

*PLEBA is pretty much dead these days. I should pour one out for it.

I have been saying for sometime that the production of Blackout could make it a great song as the live version made it difficult to make out any addition layers. I really need to find this mini clip now as I am very excited to hear what you are talking about!

Yep it got me excited.

Bill also said a lot of people will probably dismiss it at first listen. After several listens a lot of things come together and he mentioned the running order of the album was well done. I’m paraphrasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom