Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gone is in my top 2 from POP, and as I think we can almost all agree here, would have been the best choice for the first single, or at least A single.

The New Mix is good. I really like the first half or so. Where it loses me is at about the 3:20 mark. The "No emotional good night... and after.
It just doesn't hold the emotion of the album version. And overall, the album vocals are just more loose and real to me.

Lots of what makes U2 songs great is that intangible feeling you get. And the album version just has that feeling that i don't fully get on the new mix.

Either way, the song would have KILLED as the first single, either mix.

:up::up::up::up:

Gone was one of the last great Rock Songs from U2 for my taste.

I don't really consider any 2000+ U2 song as "Rock" in a good way. Elevation/Vertigo ... not for me.

Maybe "New York" and then with SOI we got some great "heavier" tunes (esp. live) with Cedarwood Road and Raised By Wolves.

But really ... we didn't get loads of the "heavier" side of U2 in the last decade. Did we?

I hope SOE is more than joy as an act of defiance ...

I really miss the darker side of U2 .. that made their Music outstanding to me

Gone was one of the last great Rock Songs from U2 for my taste.

I don't really consider any 2000+ U2 song as "Rock" in a good way. Elevation/Vertigo ... not for me.

Maybe "New York" and then with SOI we got some great "heavier" tunes (esp. live) with Cedarwood Road and Raised By Wolves.

But really ... we didn't get loads of the "heavier" side of U2 in the last decade. Did we?

I hope SOE is more than joy as an act of defiance ...

I really miss the darker side of U2 .. that made their Music outstanding to me

There was a... thickness and just a blast of rock sound from many POP songs. We just haven't heard that from the Edge since then. Just listened to Miami live the other day. Damn, just a wall of guitar crunch at you.

gone is in my top 2 from pop, and as i think we can almost all agree here, would have been the best choice for the first single, or at least a single.

The new mix is good. I really like the first half or so. Where it loses me is at about the 3:20 mark. The "no emotional good night... And after.
It just doesn't hold the emotion of the album version. And overall, the album vocals are just more loose and real to me.

Lots of what makes u2 songs great is that intangible feeling you get. And the album version just has that feeling that i don't fully get on the new mix.

Either way, the song would have killed as the first single, either mix.

+1

Gone is an amazing song and one of those songs where the murkiness of the production serves it well - sounds more evocative and mysterious on the album. The newer mix is much cleaner but maybe too clean.

All this POP talk :up:

That was at the height of my U2 fandom. The rock scene was dying at that point in 1997. Grudge went away, 2pac had passed (hip hop was gaining momentum), and bands like Goo Goo Dolls, Third Eyed Blind, Matchbox Twenty were getting love.

POP was such a daring release by U2. The last one they've had. In some ways, POP was a more daring release than AB. I say that because it's such a unique great album. Sonic masterpiece for a band in the late 90's and that band being U2.

Discotheque was a mistake The public had enough of the irony from U2 and that video put them over. The song is great, live its a monster, but the public wanted something different.

Gone would have done the trick or even Mofo. Gone, Mofo, & Please are U2 masterpieces. The glue that holds POP together. (Maybe U2 should bring the short names back!!)

I just heard Best Thing for the first time that wasn't on purpose. So I suppose that's a step up over anything from Innocence.

Me too! I heard it once last week on a HotAC station that I heard EBW on one time.
And I just heard it on the Alternative channel here for the first time today. A channel that does not play U2 and hasn’t played a U2 song since it started back in 2012.

I listen to about 45 minutes of radio a day on my commute.
I think I heard Pink on the one channel about 5 times today and The Killers on the alt. Channel about 3 Times today

Who knew the world was clamoring for new Pink music with such fervor!! Lol.

Gone is an amazing song and one of those songs where the murkiness of the production serves it well - sounds more evocative and mysterious on the album. The newer mix is much cleaner but maybe too clean.

Agreed. The new mix was way too "rawk" which didn't fit the mysterious mood of the song whatsoever. While there were some more evocative vocals in parts, it didn't cohere like the album version to be greater than the sum of its parts.

One of their better later mix attempts but rarely do they top the original. The Please single, however...

Me too! I heard it once last week on a HotAC station that I heard EBW on one time.

And I just heard it on the Alternative channel here for the first time today. A channel that does not play U2 and hasn’t played a U2 song since it started back in 2012.

I listen to about 45 minutes of radio a day on my commute.

I think I heard Pink on the one channel about 5 times today and The Killers on the alt. Channel about 3 Times today

Who knew the world was clamoring for new Pink music with such fervor!! Lol.

I heard it on a NYC station yesterday for the first time since the 2x I heard it on the day it came out. It was on a Hot AC station, 102.7.

On the other hand, I've heard "Thunder" about 15x and that song is.....not good IMO.

I hope they also announce when the tour will be announced and go on sale so I can anticipate it a little bit to save up.

If the tour is announced and goes on sale relatively immediately, I’m gonna miss out on tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom