Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, sorry. I’ve never been able to find it. I heard it once on instagram, but wasn’t able to get a tip before it was taken down

I haven’t heard the album yet aside from the few tracks already debuted but my early indication is that this will be a 5 bananas up the ass classic.

I'm not sure if my NDA already ended...

But...

I heard the song The Lights of Home at the Blackout video shoot in Amsterdam.

The sample/riff heard at 1:10 - 1:35 in the Haim song IS the guitar riff in de song, i thought (but sound quality was bad at the venue) it had a little western vibe because it sounded like Edge is playing the riff more with a acoustic slide guitar style.

If I remember correctly the tempo is around the same, but the drums are soooo awesome!

The chorus is something like; "Hey now, what's my name"

In the end of the song there was some chanting, maybe there the singer(s) of Haim come in.

I liked the song.
Oh and the drums are awesome!

I'm not sure if my NDA already ended...

But...

I heard the song The Lights of Home at the Blackout video shoot in Amsterdam.

The sample/riff heard at 1:10 - 1:35 in the Haim song IS the guitar riff in de song, i thought (but sound quality was bad at the venue) it had a little western vibe because it sounded like Edge is playing the riff more with a acoustic slide guitar style.

If I remember correctly the tempo is around the same, but the drums are soooo awesome!

The chorus is something like; "Hey now, what's my name"

In the end of the song there was some chanting, maybe there the singer(s) of Haim come in.

I liked the song.
Oh and the drums are awesome!

Thanks for the review! Excitement is really building

‘I shouldn’t be here cos I should be dead, I believe my best days are ahead.’
anyone else reminded of these opening lines ?

I am not afraid of anything in this world, there's nothing you can throw at me that I haven't already heard"

Wow! It's going to be a double album! Just like SOI!

And no one can convince me otherwise.

Literally no one said or claimed this.

FWIW - SOI released 15 complete, original songs across the deluxe version. Claiming SOE might have 16, when multiple band members have cited 16 completed songs is fairly reasonable...

LOL...I think you're forgetting your Interference history a bit mate. ;)

In fact you participated in that discussion as I recall!

Last edited:
This article fills me with so many different emotions. It's exciting because all the details sound amazing; I mean, just to begin with: Kendrick and HAIM as features? Yes.

But then I simultaneously worry deeply about what they're saying about Bono's health scare. They're half laughing it off, while on the other half stressing that it was serious, and will not disclose what it was. And it just worries me that it's not just something that was, but still is or could be again.

Did you see the last lines of the article ?

And as for Bono’s general health now? ‘I’m way better. I’m on top form. I’m singing like a little girl.’

Also, they're planning a worldwide tour. This would not be happening unless everyone is on board health wise.

‘I shouldn’t be here cos I should be dead, I believe my best days are ahead.’
anyone else reminded of these opening lines ?

I am not afraid of anything in this world, there's nothing you can throw at me that I haven't already heard"

No. Not at all.

LOL...I think you're forgetting your Interference history a bit mate. ;)

Did I and some others hope for a double album with SOI based on some of the info that came out (including old mate from The Shins claiming it was one?) Yes.

Did anyone say or claim anything remotely like that recently? No.

Did I and some others hope for a double album with SOI based on some of the info that came out (including old mate from The Shins claiming it was one?) Yes.

Did anyone say or claim anything remotely like that recently? No.

I wasn't even thinking of you mate. Someone (I think it might have been Niceman) kept insisting that "The Troubles" wasn't the last song on SOI, as SOI was in fact a double album because there was a second disc of bonus tracks. It was a pretty funny discussion actually and became an Interference meme for a while.

I wasn't even thinking of you mate. Someone (I think it might have been Niceman) kept insisting that "The Troubles" wasn't the last song on SOI, as SOI was in fact a double album because there was a second disc of bonus tracks. It was a pretty funny discussion actually and became an Interference meme for a while.

Ok, yes - I 100% remember this. My apologies - I thought you were taking my comment as me trying to justify it as a double album.

That was freaking hilarious.

So the details were released yesterday, to retailers.

Old school, u2. Old school.

Old school indeed. Part of the reason they ditched McGuinness for Oseary is because Magoo was stuck in the past & Madonna guy was supposed to have a handle on the new biz. Bad form Madonna Guy!

Time to hire Scooter!

justin-bieber-manager-scooter-speaks__oPt.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody is 'inane' if they don't like that Haim song, it's called having an opinion.

I never knew about the samples of these other U2 songs. I've looked them up. Most of them are subtle, the only exception being Do You Feel Loved, which I now can't look at the same again :( lol

I just don't like things like that. I realise that sampling can produce good results, but I just don't like things like that happening in the first place. White As Snow has bothered me for that reason, and now Do You Feel Loved is, and if the entire song of The Lights Of Home is based around that bassline, then that one will bother me too.

Cedars Of Lebanon is also bothering me now lol, although at least that's Eno anyway.... It's just a pet hate for me, so no need for the 'oh boo fucking hoo' comments etc.

Nobody is 'inane' if they don't like that Haim song, it's called having an opinion.

I never knew about the samples of these other U2 songs. I've looked them up. Most of them are subtle, the only exception being Do You Feel Loved, which I now can't look at the same again :( lol

I just don't like things like that. I realise that sampling can produce good results, but I just don't like things like that happening in the first place. White As Snow has bothered me for that reason, and now Do You Feel Loved is, and if the entire song of The Lights Of Home is based around that bassline, then that one will bother me too.

Cedars Of Lebanon is also bothering me now lol, although at least that's Eno anyway.... It's just a pet hate for me, so no need for the 'oh boo fucking hoo' comments etc.

Oh man, can you imagine how many songs out there you’re suppose to hate now? If I were you, I wouldn’t do any research, you might end up hating your favorite song.

Oh man, can you imagine how many songs out there you’re suppose to hate now? If I were you, I wouldn’t do any research, you might end up hating your favorite song.

I agree, there are tons of songs out there that take inspiration from other songs or use samples. It's just the nature of the art. Why not wait and actually listen to the songs before shrugging them off as horrible songs because they use samples? I never understood this train of thought just like when people look at song titles and say the song is already horrible based on a song title before even hearing the song. Just wait and actually listen to the song. If you don't like it after you heard the full studio version, that is totally fine, but to say the song will be bad because it uses a sample or because a title is bad is just silly.

And if you go in with the mindset that the song will be crap based on the knowledge that it uses a sample or you don't like the title or lyrics etc, then you are not giving the song a chance and you will most likely not like it already. Why not wait to listen to the song itself before forming a judgement? You might be surprised and find that it is a great song or you may find its shit. But atleast you gave the song a chance. Never judge a book by its cover!

I haven’t heard the album yet aside from the few tracks already debuted but my early indication is that this will be a 5 bananas up the ass classic.

I wonder if the genteel atU2ers are finding it easy to assimilate...

I see what you did there.

And btw bananas are a great source of potASSium, K?

Oh god, that "double album!" idiot.

To a lesser extent, I'm always annoyed by those who claim that TGBHF is the last song on ATYCLB, or Fast Cars the last on The Bomb because it's that way on the version they have. They're bonus tracks on certain editions. Not the official final track.

Yeah, there is a need for it. Sharing your "pet hate" makes you sound like an extremely conservative music listener. It's the 21st century. Not that things were pure in the 20th; as said before, artists have always "borrowed" or stolen from each other, credited or not. It's the nature of creative endeavors outside a vacuum and inside a living culture.

Hate to break it to you: U2 didn't invent music. They didn't invent punk, post-punk, ambient, Americana, industrial, trip hop, etc.

That doesn't make them any less of a band. These experimentations with other artists keeps them vital.

Try being less defensive and evolving instead.

I never said the sampled songs were bad. Just that it bugs me is all. As I said, a pet annoyance thing for me. When all is said and done, I'm very excited to hear the album.

Last edited:
People acting like White As Snow isn't a real U2 song or something because it borrows a melody from the public domain is the dumbest fucking thing in the world. Chord progressions are not sacred and become less so with each passing year. You can play most of Bad, The First Time and All I Want Is You by just going back and forth between A and D over and over again. Did U2 steal from themselves? Is one song less special because it has the same building blocks as another song? Fuck no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom