Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, yes it's entirely different. People dance choreographed dances, they act in movies all the time, but they usually don't write songs about their best mate's wife. At least not in the sense of celebration or admiration. It was a really weird comment.

Thanks for your fine explanation. But what's wrong if admiration is expressed ?! Morleigh had the idea of incorporating the dance routine during Mysterious Ways and choreographed it beautifully which played its part in making the song a live monster. Edge's extended guitar solo and her choreography merged seamlessly to make the song's last portion to getting close to feeling orgasm in a live concert. So, IMHO Morleigh should be duly get her credit via a U2 song. Edge may write it to avoid the awkwardness.

LaylaCover.jpg

Yes yes, I knew that comment would come back and bite me. I just meant in the nonakward want to keep the band together way.

Thanks for your fine explanation. But what's wrong if admiration is expressed ?! Morleigh had the idea of incorporating the dance routine during Mysterious Ways and choreographed it beautifully which played its part in making the song a live monster. Edge's extended guitar solo and her choreography merged seamlessly to make the song's last portion to getting close to feeling orgasm in a live concert. So, IMHO Morleigh should be duly get her credit via a U2 song. Edge may write it to avoid the awkwardness.

It's a dance, it's a play. At the time they weren't married.

But you don't think a song would be different? Obviously it would depend on lyrical content, but still. Would you feel comfortable if someone was passionately singing a song about your significant other night after night?

And why stop at Morleigh, the other two have women he could sing about too, right?

It's the same as if a song is used in a TV commercial, a video game, or a movie. It's song licensing... paid placement.

It's the same as if a song is used in a TV commercial, a video game, or a movie. It's song licensing... paid placement.

Yeah but every scenario is different. U2 is likely to get paid, not pay someone to play their music. But that totally depends.

Is that right? I had no idea. Is that a new thing or has it always been that way?
It's been a thing for a while.

It's not always the case... It can go with way, a royalty gets paid to the act or the act pays the network.

With new songs, normally the act pays to have it placed. With older songs, normally the act gets paid because the producers and what not randomly pick it.

Last edited:
(Replying to a post I read a few pages back) The Killers song The Man is tongue in cheek and isn’t meant to be taken seriously.

What is the "I've got soul you've got gasoline" lyric from?

I've googled it and found nothing.

Get on your boots, but I think it’s “I’ve got a submarine, you’ve got gasoline ...”

I understand now. A mixing of the killers with GOYB.

And it still manages to be better than "are we human or are we dancer".

I'm disappointed that Pour Some Sugar On Me has never been snippeted in Pride.

Just heard the kygo remix of best thing being played at a Scottish football stadium,first time I have heard it being played anywhere!

ESPN2 played it a few minutes ago cutting to commercial of the Florida St./Duke football game.

I hear it on good authority if we're good and spell song titles, we'll get a new album soon.

What we know:

Supposedly an album announcement next Friday, Oct. 20.

u2songs is reporting this for tracks:

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
Summer of Love
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Showman
You’re The Best Thing About Me
Red Flag Day (edit - thanks RD)

Best Thing is doing OK on American radio, but the debate will rage on for centuries if it's a hit. (hint: if there's a debate, it's not a hit. It is gaining steam on certain formats, but hasn't crossed over to the Hot 100 yet. It probably won't).

U2 filmed a music video/promo video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way" in Mexico City last week. The Internet Police have been removing clips from YouTube. Given the theme of the video, it wouldn't be surprising if this were released next week to go along with the album announcement, getting the song out in time for Day of the Dead.

Carry on.

I don't think Landlady is a song anymore, Much More Better is.

Sounds like the song is all over ESPN this weekend.

That's a good sign and likely part of their marketing plan. The song is still hitting peaks on US radio as just today it hit a high in spins and impressions. The YouTube video (the official one) has seen slight increases in streams for a few consecutive days now (~75k to 79K to 81k) and today it's on pace to hit 85k, so maybe they are looking to breathe more life into to get it to the next level.

I'm very curious to see what they have planned on Friday, hoping for a new song, confirmation of the album date along with the track list that includes 12 songs, option to pre order it and maybe some tour info.

There was a rumour(?) that there'd be a disc of remixes of each track.

I wonder if we'll get a second disc with some songs that aren't of love thing way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom