Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I frankly don't care if someone is relentlessly negative or perpetually positive about everything U2 puts out. Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion. The problems arise when people take an opinion about a ROCK BAND personally, and regard a negative opinion about U2 as an attack on themselves...and they respond as if it was.

So if someone says they think TBT or OL sucks, or that Bono is a wanker, just remember that they're not saying YOU suck, even if you love the song and think Bono is the bees knees. I know since music appeals to us emotionally, we get wrapped up in it and regard an attack on something we love as an attack on us. But it's not.

And if you consider it your mission in life to defend U2 and their music against all comers, just remember that no one in the band knows you, and don't need you to defend them. Nor do they care.

Last edited:
Well, I fully expect to not really rate this album. It's what seems most likely. What U2 are doing these days and what I like seem to be fairly divergent.

But who knows. Nothing's set in stone and I just want to bloody hear the songs already. I didn't expect to enjoy The Blackout, but I do. Then along came The Best Thing and I hate that more than I expected to. Much more. Usually I like the songs that U2 choose as lead singles. So this can swing either way for me.
Maybe take a break from the band for a bit? Come back to them later with new eyes (and ears) :)

The tiny clip of Blackout makes me feel a bit happier about the song, as judging by the live version it had been my least favourite of the four. Get out Of Your Own Way is the one that's got me most hopeful so far.

But the thing is, you all have valid, reasonable, intelligent and well articulated arguments.
And you're all U2 fans.
And there's a current information vacumn.

I fucking love this forum. Even the arguments are nuanced and entertaining.

Although I loved Dan Smee's argument the most and same sex marriage is legal in NZ.

So Dan. You got options.
This, that and the other

I can't believe I missed GOOYOW. Was really busy for the past month or so. Don't suppose anyone has a clip...

Lyrics I can pick up:

"The master's looking for someone to need him,
The promised land is there for those who need it most,
And Lincoln's ghost says,

Get out of your own way,
Get out of your own way."

I can sing it to you, all night, all night,
If I could I'd make you alright, alright,
Nothing's stopping you except what's inside,
I can help you but it's your fight, your fight.

Get out of your own way,

Welp. I think we can pretty much rule out a new song today. It would have been on Spotify already.

Same except for every lead single in this century.

But I loved SOI as a whole.

You don't rate Beautiful Day? That was an excellent lead single, even if it's not a personal favourite. Same for Vertigo really, though whenever I listen to the studio version now I kind of cringe... the live version is much superior (and I love Native Son).

I frankly don't care if someone is relentlessly negative or perpetually positive about everything U2 puts out. Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion. The problems arise when people take an opinion about a ROCK BAND personally, and regard a negative opinion about U2 as an attack on themselves...and they respond as if it was.

So if someone says they think TBT or OL sucks, or that Bono is a wanker, just remember that they're not saying YOU suck, even if you love the song and think Bono is the bees knees. I know since music appeals to us emotionally, we get wrapped up in it and regard an attack on something we love as an attack on us. But it's not.

And if you consider it your mission in life to defend U2 and their music against all comers, just remember that no one in the band knows you, and don't need you to defend them. Nor do they care.

All of this.

Maybe take a break from the band for a bit? Come back to them later with new eyes (and ears) :)

lol what

I've barely listened to U2, at least non-eighties U2, for years. Far too much great music being made today to need to listen to the band's lesser output.

Lyrics I can pick up:

Get out of your own way,

Get out of your own way,

This clip sounds fine but that Lincoln's ghost lyric is so bad.

I’m surprised if they don’t release a song really soon. It’s insane to not boost the album sales with streams/downloads, it could actually give TBT a chart boost as well, and they are well over half way between TBT release and the album. The video is shot - they may be waiting for the tour to end, but that is pretty arbitrary - the promotion for TbT has not required them to be present in any particular place. Not sure why they would hold off...

Also - Spotify timing hasn’t been a thing with U2 - they have been releasing things at 9am either London, NY, or LA time. My guess would be NY, so if there is nothing in 75 minutes, probably not happening

You don't rate Beautiful Day? That was an excellent lead single, even if it's not a personal favourite. Same for Vertigo really, though whenever I listen to the studio version now I kind of cringe... the live version is much superior (and I love Native Son).

For some reason I thought it was in 99.

Lyrics I can pick up:

Get out of your own way,

Get out of your own way,

"Slaves are looking for someone to lead them" ....... I think this line comes before the master's line.

I’m surprised if they don’t release a song really soon. It’s insane to not boost the album sales with streams/downloads, it could actually give TBT a chart boost as well, and they are well over half way between TBT release and the album. The video is shot - they may be waiting for the tour to end, but that is pretty arbitrary - the promotion for TbT has not required them to be present in any particular place. Not sure why they would hold off...

Is it U2Songs that had this being the day of album announcement ? Whoever it was, I know they’re usually reliable but we don’t really know for sure that TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

I know a few posters on here have hinted at we’ll know something before Halloween which means probably next week. RD source pretty much told him same thing, nothing confirmed other than we’ll know soon.

Don’t get your hopes up today.

Okay, I hadn't read all 32 pages in this thread, so I wasn't quite sure what the latest news was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom