Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean... I'm not the biggest Best Thing fan in the world, but to say that Best Thing or Blackout or Little Things are worse than everything on every album since Achtung Baby is a ridiculous statement.

Absolutely.

I think we will have an SOI level album coming.
By that I mean, most people here will like it better than NLOTH and Bomb, and many (like me) more than ATYCLB. But will not go so far as to put it above, AB, Zoo or POP.

It will have a few high points, the majority consistently stron, then a couple lows but no complete tragedies.

can't imagine that SOE is the best since AB since every song released or played so far are worse songs - melodies, lyrics, music- anything on Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, SOI, and NLOTH.

Come on!

Are you serious?

I’m all for differing opinions, but this by far is the most absurd statement on U2s music I have ever read on this forum!

To quote Bill Madison:

“what you’ve just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

I'm expecting nothing for tomorrow in regard of SOE info.

It would make more sense to wait the end of the JT tour to start the new campaign.

Any comparisons or expectations for the new album relative to Zoo-era is a set up for failure.

ATYCLB is the standard for the current version of U2.

For me it's pretty impossible for them to make a song these days that's worse than Grace, Miami, and Daddy's Gonna Pay

I'm expecting nothing for tomorrow in regard of SOE info.

It would make more sense to wait the end of the JT tour to start the new campaign.

I tend to agree. Although, we have to keep in mind that the pre-order date may have been set up with contracts through Apple, Amazon, etc... prior to knowing the exact end date of the JT tour. It got extended for 3 more shows in Sao Paulo after the first show on the 19th.

So its possible we get the announcement of the exact release date and it goes up for presale. That would great. Just to see the tracklist and album cover for real.

But I agree, I'm not holding my breath.

Any comparisons or expectations for the new album relative to Zoo-era is a set up for failure.

ATYCLB is the standard for the current version of U2.

Yes. This is a good perspective. I for one would put SOI up as the new bar to clear, since I prefer it over ATYCLB. But the sentiment of your statement is true.

LOL...hit and run and ran into "worst songs eva"... :tongue:

Some people are really setting the bar low so they CAN'T be disappointed when the real thing drops.

Blackout is really good (Ned, Zed, Fred, and Jed included). Little Things and Best Thing are solid songs...eh, to each his own...:shrug:

Is the interview really not available anywhere to listen to? Have to wait til Saturday to hear it again?

If so, is anyone here with XM able to capture the section with The Blackout clip being played?

The interview is available on Sirius On Demand.

SOI is better than any of the last three post-2000 albums so there really is no “low bar” set for me. If SOE meets or exceeds SOI that would make me very happy and it won’t be a case of settling for less. Three years on and I still enjoy SOI. It just clicked for me, hard to explain. Maybe part of the reason is because my 8 year old son loves it too and knows most of the lyrics. When it came out we used to blast it in the car and sing along. For the record, Achtung/Pop/Zooropa are my absolute favorites but SOI is not that far behind.

Agreed here.

There's no reason U2 can't have two songs out at one time. I mean, they've released about 15 versions of Best Thing.

Meanwhile, Tay Tay who is probably much owner of the charts in recent years, released two songs within a few weeks of each other.

Oh GAWD. Your comment came just in time. It looks like our little Tay Tay will be releasing a THIRD song tonight.

:|

SOI is better than any of the last three post-2000 albums so there really is no “low bar” set for me. If SOE meets or exceeds SOI that would make me very happy and it won’t be a case of settling for less. Three years on and I still enjoy SOI. It just clicked for me, hard to explain. Maybe part of the reason is because my 8 year old son loves it too and knows most of the lyrics. When it came out we used to blast it in the car and sing along. For the record, Achtung/Pop/Zooropa are my absolute favorites but SOI is not that far behind.

Wow, this is pretty much my exact feelings. Something clicked with me on SOI that just had been missing for most of the prior three releases. Don't get me wrong, i love a handful of songs off of those albums and put them in my upper U2 list, but as albums, they just didn't compare to SOI.

If SOE can equal or edge over SOI, than that is a huge accomplishment for me. If its on par with ATYCLB... well, it will be a little disappointing. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in between those two albums for me, which is still pretty good. I hope they prove me wrong! (in a good way)

U2Start is putting this as a pretty solid guess on the tracklisting...

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Showman
You’re The Best Thing About Me

Absolutely.

I think we will have an SOI level album coming.
By that I mean, most people here will like it better than NLOTH and Bomb, and many (like me) more than ATYCLB. But will not go so far as to put it above, AB, Zoo or POP.

It will have a few high points, the majority consistently stron, then a couple lows but no complete tragedies.

I’d be more than happy with that from SOE and I’m in the same boat as many on here it seems, who have been with the band for a very long time, but for whom the AB, Zooropa to Pop era was the most memorable and exciting and fondly remembered. Which is saying something given The JT had already happened and been seen as a career high.

I’d love to see a proper SOI/SOE tour with both albums played in full (not necessarily in order), maybe bookended by stuff from other eras. It’ll never happen, but I can but dream.

Should have called the album" The Love"

4 songs starting with "The" and 3 with the word "love"

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Showman

Lots of 'L' and "The" titles, I see.

Should have called the album" The Love"

4 songs starting with "The" and 3 with the word "love"

The Love (Of Kneeling Hearts)

If SOI had a different release strategy, maybe it’s looked at more positively by even us ?

Aside from SFS, which I cannot stand, it wasn’t a bad album. For my taste it’s ahead of Bomb, but below ATYCLB. The songs on that album capture some of what’s been missing from U2 which is their sonic landscapes. Even NLOTH has some of it.

Which leads me to believe it’s a Brian/Danny/Flood thing

SOI is Tedder, and so far the songs we’ve heard from SOE appear that way too.

Fingers crossed U2 essence breaks through more than Tedder-ness

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Showman

These are most likely the tracks, but not in this order.

Little Things is the last on the album. The Showman is the penultimate track as it leads into Little Things.

GOOYOW leads into Amercian Soul.

This list is in alphabetical order, except for Summer Of Love and Red Flag Day.

Come on!

Are you serious?

I’m all for differing opinions, but this by far is the most absurd statement on U2s music I have ever read on this forum!

To quote Bill Madison:

“what you’ve just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

I’m pretty sure he’s contractually obligated to say this.

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Showman

Almost alphabetical if we include articles. For aesthetic reasons, I hope all the "The" songs aren't in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom