Songs of Experience - Part V - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Songs of Experience - Part V

The waiting continues. I just woke up from a dream where they announced the album would go on sale in 6 hours and the Internet just exploded with buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I suppose that's all we have...our dreams.

deep thoughts, by Numb1075

Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

So I've been on the positive side of this all along but I'm even starting to think that an album this year is looking less and less likely. If they were to follow the same format of releasing in September with little build up, maybe there's no reason to panic. But if we don't know more than we do today come late July, then I think it's time to worry big time.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
So I've been on the positive side of this all along but I'm even starting to think that an album this year is looking less and less likely. If they were to follow the same format of releasing in September with little build up, maybe there's no reason to panic. But if we don't know more than we do today come late July, then I think it's time to worry big time.
Seems like that's a common theme/thread around here, "If we don't hear by...."

The secret route is plausible, and seems to be the trend. Or announce the album will be out in a few days to get a buzz going.

But U2 likes big. It has to be an event.

Honestly I'm not even that excited for SOE. My hopes are it's a bit more rough around the edges, something different than the 2000's sound. NLOTH had a different sound, but they kind of pooped on it with the middle songs (though I still like GOYB).

I'll be really happy if Bono's voice isn't so damn prominent in the mix.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The thing that is making this look bleak is that Bono, Edge, & Adam are popping up at different events for the last few months. Doesn't look like too much work is going on.

And I really thought they would have a tour announcement by now.....

Well this just popped up:

http://radio.com/2016/05/20/ryan-ted...new-u2s-album/
Old 05-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The tour announcement or lack of is what I'm kind of shocked at. The last interview Edge gave, he made the comment that something would be announced soon (regardless of an album).

I think that was late April, so still time. I like mikal's timeline of no news by July, and it's looking like nothing for 2016
Old 05-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:52 AM
I think we'll see SOE at some point this year, but it may be at the expense of the IE tour continuing this fall. Maybe, we'll see.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
The tour announcement or lack of is what I'm kind of shocked at. The last interview Edge gave, he made the comment that something would be announced soon (regardless of an album).

I think that was late April, so still time. I like mikal's timeline of no news by July, and it's looking like nothing for 2016
Maybe Edge's comment was about the DVD?

That interview with Tedder does not make me excited , specially this part... I don't like ATYCLB that much anymore

Quote:
He said that U2’s classic 2000 album provided a benchmark of sorts. “It’s the most exciting stuff I’ve heard since All That You Can’t Leave Behind. And that album cover was on the wall; [it was] saying ‘Match or beat this record.'”
Old 05-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon269 View Post
Maybe Edge's comment was about the DVD?

That interview with Tedder does not make me excited , specially this part... I don't like ATYCLB that much anymore
The following quote makes me

Quote:
It’s a very, very accessible sounding record. But it’s not pop. It’s just great. It’s like: I would buy this album. And I know that a lot of our younger fans would buy, or stream, the album
I thought that SOE will sound a bit more sophisticated... maybe edgier. I am not sure if I like a very very accessible sounding record.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

One thing I'll give ATYCLB credit for is that it has a very consistent atmosphere throughout, which I feel SOI also sort of accomplishes.

Wish the songs in the 2nd half of the album were a bit stronger, but I can see why ATYCLB was thought of so highly both publicly and at this forum back in 2000/2001.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
One thing I'll give ATYCLB credit for is that it has a very consistent atmosphere throughout, which I feel SOI also sort of accomplishes.

Wish the songs in the 2nd half of the album were a bit stronger, but I can see why ATYCLB was thought of so highly both publicly and at this forum back in 2000/2001.

Total agreement. Bomb and Nloth are just slapped together

Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes. ATYCLB was their last album. The back songs weren't that strong, but New York live helped. And I was never bothered by Wild Honey. Apparently the band didn't like that one either. Or maybe Larry didn't.

POE was really the only song that did nothing. Just wasn't an interesting song.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
New Yorker

Kite is one of my favorites. It's a shame that I never got to see it live.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:52 AM
ATYCLB has a special place in my heart, but those words from Ryan Tedder don't fill me with confidence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 05-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Honestly the thing I take away from that little piece is how he keeps referring to it as "the album" ... "this album" ... of course I'm reading too much into it, but it's a little more promising than hearing something like "these are the best ideas they've had in ____ years" or something to that effect.

I still expect it this year, with a quick announce/release schedule and a tour announcement. *shrug*

Edit: That quote from Tedder is a bit in-line with what Adam Scott Aukerman said after hearing some new songs last summer... maybe? I'm trying to remember what they said about the songs.