Songs of Experience - Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If tour resumes say Feb 2017, has a tour ever had that big a break before?

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

If tour resumes say Feb 2017, has a tour ever had that big a break before?

Nope. The longest gap without an unplanned postponement is ZooTV leg 3 to 4 (Outside Broadcast to Zooropa), which was 5 months and 14 days.

With unplanned postponements:
360 leg 2 to 3: 9 months, 9 days
Vertigo leg 4 to 5: 8 months, 5 days

Had Bono not done his back, the gap on 360 from leg 2 to the original 3 (ultimately leg 7) would have been the longest regularly scheduled gap: 7 months, 9 days.

The only comparable situation to a gap this lengthy is the JT Tour to Lovetown.

I think the unfortunate part (for me) is that the band said they didn't want to overbook these songs, like they acknowledged on SOI. Edge even saying a quick release like Zooropa

Instead it sounds like they've done exactly that. Granted they may have ditched songs rather than overcook, but the point is still similar. They are so obsessed with holding on to that hope of a hit song they can't let the music just breathe.

It would not surprise me if they still just shelve it all. Say they'll come back to it another day. At this point of the tour is announced for 2017, is it really even the same tour at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Didn't they bring in Tedder very late in the game for SOI? Could be the same case here which I would like because it means we're close.

Didn't they bring in Tedder very late in the game for SOI? Could be the same case here which I would like because it means we're close.

Was he brought in late, or did we get word late? Whatever it is, Tedder is a great writer and producer. I'm sure they came to him because they want "lots of hits." In pop music, Tedder is a great character to go to in order to get the best of both worlds.

He was definitely at least brought in seemingly some time after Danger Mouse. They said he was surprised at how much a few songs changed when he came back in from working on other projects. Could be the same case here with the producer they were working with on the road during the tour. Looking at the credits of SOI, Paul Epworth seems to have more credits on songs than Tedder. This leaves me to believe that he was the last to come in and try to make tracks more "accessible".

Last edited:
I think the unfortunate part (for me) is that the band said they didn't want to overbook these songs, like they acknowledged on SOI. Edge even saying a quick release like Zooropa

Instead it sounds like they've done exactly that. Granted they may have ditched songs rather than overcook, but the point is still similar. They are so obsessed with holding on to that hope of a hit song they can't let the music just breathe.

It would not surprise me if they still just shelve it all. Say they'll come back to it another day. At this point of the tour is announced for 2017, is it really even the same tour at that point?

Maybe, but what's encouraging is Tedder saying only one or two of these songs are from the Innocence sessions... the rest are all new songs. I don't think that this makes for an overcooked album if you're talking about these songs being written and recorded while they're on tour + Bono's accident in less than two years.

My memory's hazy, but I think it took roughly six months from news/sightings of tedder and Epworth with u2 to Songs of Innocence coming out.
Similarly, NLOTH was projected for autumn 2008, they hit a 'rich song writing vein', and about six months after saying that, we finally got the album.

Seems like when they do a final polishing like that, bringing in new people etc, it tacks on a fair few months.

Could be the same thing here, though we don't really know when Ryan tedder joined them this time round (to be fair we didn't last time either). Could've been together this whole year. But if it was recently, then based on the time the last couple of 'polishing' sessions took, I'd say November we could get SoE.

... Having said all that, I read the article again, and there's nothing explicitly saying tedder is working on SoE. Sure it makes sense that he would be, and he's definitely heard it, but he didn't state he's working on it. Still probably is, I guess....

I'm fine if they push the tour back to 2017 *IF* that means we get another album. If they push the tour back and still no album, then I'll be kinda pissed.

That said, there's still time for a fall US tour to be put on sale. They might put tickets onsale around the same time the DVD is released, and use the DVD as a commercial to sell tickets? Maybe not? If the leg begins in September or October, June is a perfectly reasonable time for an announcement/onsale. If by July 1st we have no dates, then it's safe to assume a 2016 tour is off the table.

Ah well. I still like u2's catchy pop songs and riffs. Not ideal, but I do like the miracle and Sfs, and frankly would rather they try and write tunes that connect than disappear into Passengers part 2 (no offense towards that album, just not my preferred destination).

And that's completely fine. Liking songs that don't sound like art school projects or contain I–V–vi–IV chord progressions doesn't make someone a bad person, you know? :up:

And that's completely fine. Liking songs that don't sound like art school projects or contain I–V–vi–IV chord progressions doesn't make someone a bad person, you know? :up:

Damn straight!

For a quintessential stadium band like u2, I completely respect their desire for hits. To want the whole crowd to know, love, sing and dance to new music.
It might be less daring, less cool, but seeking that 'connection' with an audience is something I can respect.

Hearing the 'oh-oh-oh' intro to Miracle might be a shameless attempt to write a hit/artificially get audience participation, but that didn't stop it being fucking great to be part of that call/response when I saw them this tour.

Same thing with the new EBW chorus; very poppy, but still beautiful to me.

They're a stadium band - writing catchy, accessible tunes is in their blood, and I love it. I'd rather they try to make another Beautiful Day than another White as Snow.

... And at least they're not writing with will.I.am.

Also. For ATYCLB, I recommend the original tracklist. Not sure why the band changed it last minute.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Stuck In A Moment
5. Peace On Earth
6. Kite
7. New York
8. In A Little While
9. Wild Honey
10. When I Look At The World
11. Grace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I recommend this tracklisting:

1. New York
2. Kite
3. When I Look at the World
4. Walk On
5. Beautiful Day.

Nah, I like the guitar work in New York a lot, especially live. Edge needs to just let things rip more often.

And really love the post 9/11 version they did on Letterman:

See, I'd love to agree with you, because you're right about the guitar... it's just that I don't like the lyrics and gee nobody's ever written a song gushing about New York before.

I love the
"You better put the women and children first
But you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York" part.
I'm surprised the song hasn't been played since Elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom