Songs of Experience - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They most they can hope for is critical acclaim - popularity is beyond just about everyone in rock music these days.

They can only get critical acclaim by embracing something challenging, different, dark, and surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

But most happy sounding album these days don't get really get critical acclaim. I mean, look at Radiohead's latest release. that album will be shit without its gloominess/sadness.

Depends upon the definition of critical acclaim.

Lots of poppy happy albums are successful. But I can see what you're saying about critics in specific. It's kinda like how comedy movies like White Chicks that make us all laugh are shat on by critics.

Depends upon the definition of critical acclaim.

Lots of poppy happy albums are successful. But I can see what you're saying about critics in specific. It's kinda like how comedy movies like White Chicks that make us all laugh are shat on by critics.

That is precisely my point.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, I certainly don't want U2 to go down the Radiohead route. I absolutely don't get what's so great about that album. Sounds dead boring to me.
But I'm not too scared. U2 have never gone that way. We should be more scared of an album that wants to be too commercially successful, i.e. Ryan Tedder. Not saying "his" songs on SOI were bad. But they were not the best on SOI either. The second half of the album was better and I'm hoping for SOE to go in that direction. The more early news we heard sounded much better to me (a bit more rough, quick release as in Zooropa, a bit more rock). But hey, let's wait till we hear the actual thing. And I'm still hopeful for a 2016 release and 2017 tour. There's no point in starting a tour 2016 in the US without a new album. So far it still all makes sense. The only good thing in Tedder's statement is that they actually seem to be working.

I just hope U2 would stop talking about how cool the album is going to be, and actually start working on it... and if they're already working... I hope they put some U2ness in it. I'd hate for U2 to get too commercial. I didn't hate SOI, but it was nothing compared to Achtung Baby or Pop (which I particularly love). I think the guys should take more risks with SOE... a leap of faith. With SOI they were trying too hard to be relevant, fans do not need U2 to be relevant, at least I don't need that. I'd rather have them being just U2. They will figure it out... I hope. :reject:

I'm sorry I couldn't look at hunky Bernie anymore

Silly-Animal-Memes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom