Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
OK, so there has been a small flurry of activity recently.

- Recent interviews have continued mentions of Songs of Experience as still being on the radar, and songs are being worked on while on tour

- In the final episode of You Talkin' U2 To Me? with Scott Ackerman and Adam Scott, U2 crashed the party for an interview, where the band suggested they would rather get rawer songs out sooner. They claimed it was unacceptable to take as long as they have lately. After the show, they played some songs to the Scotts, who were blown away with the quality.

- An 8 September tweet from U2Wanderer claimed an announcement the next day would potentially be more than the Irish dates (turned out to be false, however there could be more to that still to come. https://twitter.com/u2w/status/641020916349186049

- On 9 September, Dutch cafe owners related a story where the band booked time on a nearby beach for a photoshoot that was claimed to be for the new album. Recent instagram photos from U2 have shown them on a beach, with photographer Anton Corbijn, and an apparent wardrobe change in a forrest.

- Bono confirmed in concert that the shoot was indeed for the new album https://twitter.com/u2wanderer/status/643134971906027521

- Bono mentioned it to a fan signing autographs mentioning they have loads of songs, and that Edge was 'on fire' https://twitter.com/wolfgang_willms/status/642864578540490753?s=09

So, news seems pretty positive.

My opinion on the likelihood of dates:

1. March 2016 - It makes the most sense that if U2 are touring the US and Europe next year, they would do so on the back of a new album. For 360, they fell short, but re-invigorated the shows with 6 total new songs across the European leg.

2. Nov/Dec 2015 - Ready in time for Christmas - having photos shot this early would certainly be enough time to have an album out ready to maximise Christmas sales - not so sure they care so much about that these days.

3. Second half of 2016 or later - No real logic here - only really on the cards should U2 suffer their customary crisis, and bail on the release.

Scenario 1 is more likely to happen but scenario 2 has the advantage to benefit from the excellent reviews U2 are getting with this tour and on the 14th of November their show in Paris will be broadcasted.

Scenario 3 is an excellent scenario towards irrelevance.

Anyone think that the chorus of fans saying that the Edge didn't really "show up" on SOI, has put him in a mode to prove us wrong? I surely hope so. Could use a burst of creativity from him again.

Anyone think that the chorus of fans saying that the Edge didn't really "show up" on SOI, has put him in a mode to prove us wrong? I surely hope so. Could use a burst of creativity from him again.

Seriously doubt it. U2 has never really shown any signs of paying matter to what is being said in here.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last night Bono actually confirmed that the photographs shot at the beach are for a new album cover, possibly next year.

Then again, Bono lies. So yea, take that as you will. :wink:

Last night Bono actually confirmed that the photographs shot at the beach are for a new album cover, possibly next year.

Then again, Bono lies. So yea, take that as you will. :wink:

It makes not much sense to have a shooting 6-7 months before the album, or does it? Maybe they wanted the automn leaves colors..... another dark album would suit me well!

It makes not much sense to have a shooting 6-7 months before the album, or does it? Maybe they wanted the automn leaves colors..... another dark album would suit me well!

As mentioned several times; it's not uncommon.

Don't forget the HBO specials. They could take advantage of that as well. I am sure there will be clips of them recording SOE. Maybe they will release it along with that and the new set up for the Ireland gigs have been updated as well to host the new songs.

Don't forget the HBO specials. They could take advantage of that as well. I am sure there will be clips of them recording SOE. Maybe they will release it along with that and the new set up for the Ireland gigs have been updated as well to host the new songs.

Exactly. I had posted this a couple months ago when the HBO news came out. I'm mean LOOK at the date of the HBO specials. November 7th followed by the Paris concert on the 14th! That is prime holiday album release time and they would be utterly foolish to pass up the kind of quality viewership they are gonna get for this. That being said, this is the same band that passed up Superbowl exposure, sooooo... LOL

My bet is that we are looking at a November 6th or 13th release of SOE.
Especially if they want to integrate anything kind of new or interesting, they could give HBO viewers some access to videos, bonus tracks, what have you.

This is my bet and I'm stickin with it. I was right about the Apple release. Just sayin'. :wink:

Exactly. I had posted this a couple months ago when the HBO news came out. I'm mean LOOK at the date of the HBO specials. November 7th followed by the Paris concert on the 14th! That is prime holiday album release time and they would be utterly foolish to pass up the kind of quality viewership they are gonna get for this. That being said, this is the same band that passed up Superbowl exposure, sooooo... LOL

My bet is that we are looking at a November 6th or 13th release of SOE.

Especially if they want to integrate anything kind of new or interesting, they could give HBO viewers some access to videos, bonus tracks, what have you.

This is my bet and I'm stickin with it. I was right about the Apple release. Just sayin'. :wink:

I suggested this a while back and was laughed at. I'm still sticking to my guns on a November release that would coincide with the holidays, the HBO special and the Ireland shows.

autumn leaves? On a beach while it's summer? :lol: That's not gonna happen. There are no autumn leaves here at the moment of shooting.

BUt it does make sense to shoot in advance, as there will be a lot of editing before the definitive cover happens. It takes a while, 6-7 months is very long but perhaps they're looking for a Christmas release. :wink: Oy we can hope.

The album cover will be in colour btw. That's what was mentioned, they enjoyed the colours of the beach and sky and everything. :)

I suggested this a while back and was laughed at. I'm still sticking to my guns on a November release that would coincide with the holidays, the HBO special and the Ireland shows.

I'm not laughing at you! :) I mean really, what would be the purpose of them to have an HBO special if NOT to release the album?? Rattle and Hum was with the album, ABC POP special was too. Foo Fighters had the whole Sonic Highways thing on HBO correspond. It just seems like it would be a total, strange, out of the blue type thing to have on HBO, if they weren't also promo'ing the album.

Also, it just makes sense to have the album out then, before the next leg of the Innocence and EXPERIENCE tour, to give the audience a little time to get familiar with the new tunes.

My bet is solid.

I would at least expect a new song for the HBO documentary. Even if it's just one tied to it for the end credits.

I would at least expect a new song for the HBO documentary. Even if it's just one tied to it for the end credits.

I had forgotten about that! When are those supposed to air?

Anyways, I'm expecting the album to drop next spring (March) ~2 months before the next leg of the NA tour kicks off in May.

I will be in Japan the entire summer though... hmm....

I'm not laughing at you! :) I mean really, what would be the purpose of them to have an HBO special if NOT to release the album??

The same purpose as all their other showtime, ABC, and MTV specials they've done. Promote the tour, not one TV special they've done was to promote an album.

Plus HBO is a fairly limited audience for an album release.

U2 releasing a new single for the HBO special makes too much sense...

-SOI would be 14 months old

-They'll be at the end of the tour (2nd Leg)

-U2 will have the media focused on them & the general public will tune in to see the HBO show.

-And I'm sure HBO will show them in the studio recording SOE sometime during the documentary. And HBO will be able to showcase it like its the greatest album ever (HBO produces awesome TV).

During the podcast didn't they say that one of the songs bono played was to be "used for something else"? Perhaps the HBO special is just that.

I know one thing they need to put in the HBO special...that arrangement of 'Magnificent' they played in Amsterdam. :up::up:

The same purpose as all their other showtime, ABC, and MTV specials they've done. Promote the tour, not one TV special they've done was to promote an album.

Plus HBO is a fairly limited audience for an album release.

ABC POP was in April, and Pop was released in March. So yeah, a push for both the album and tour.
I don't know, i think it's odd that HBO would be a vehicle to promote the tour at that point because i wouldn't think U.S. dates would be available then, but who knows.

Thats still my prediction. I don't see a better promotion that they would use after that. We shall see

The HBO show/documentary coinciding with an announcement for future legs makes the most sense to me, but I hope it is SOE related.

U2 releasing a new single for the HBO special makes too much sense...

-SOI would be 14 months old

-They'll be at the end of the tour (2nd Leg)

-U2 will have the media focused on them & the general public will tune in to see the HBO show.

-And I'm sure HBO will show them in the studio recording SOE sometime during the documentary. And HBO will be able to showcase it like its the greatest album ever (HBO produces awesome TV).

True - it also gives them some promo tour time prior to leg 3 getting under way

I'm not laughing at you! :) I mean really, what would be the purpose of them to have an HBO special if NOT to release the album?? Rattle and Hum was with the album, ABC POP special was too. Foo Fighters had the whole Sonic Highways thing on HBO correspond. It just seems like it would be a total, strange, out of the blue type thing to have on HBO, if they weren't also promo'ing the album.

Also, it just makes sense to have the album out then, before the next leg of the Innocence and EXPERIENCE tour, to give the audience a little time to get familiar with the new tunes.

My bet is solid.

It would be like them releasing a new single during the Super Bowl and then not releasing an albuuuuuuuuuu wait a second!!!!

In the end, I hope you are right but who knows. One could argue that they finished up the album during the 1 month tour break but at this point, in happy just to have the live concert special!

Actually, they were very much in holiday mode in the break. Bono was in France relaxing; they either had it DONE then (the Scotts mentioned that the songs they heard sounded finished), or close enough to finish on the road. The residency arrangement and the mobile recording studio would make it very easy for them to record properly for good stretches at a time.

They also seem to be sightseeing during the day since getting to Europe - in the U.S. It was night times - perhaps they were frantically finishing recording, and now they are done?

Actually, they were very much in holiday mode in the break. Bono was in France relaxing; they either had it DONE then (the Scotts mentioned that the songs they heard sounded finished), or close enough to finish on the road. The residency arrangement and the mobile recording studio would make it very easy for them to record properly for good stretches at a time.

They also seem to be sightseeing during the day since getting to Europe - in the U.S. It was night times - perhaps they were frantically finishing recording, and now they are done?

Sounds strange in some ways, but I am really glad to be seeing this whole "Is the album done?"-type speculation on here again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom