Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be really interesting is if all the songs are a fusion of both of those sounds - big, aggressive guitar married with ethereal soundscapes. Like a pop version of Sigur Ros (if we're lucky).

You can see elements of such a fusion in SoI - full band EBW being one, but check out the live version of the Miracle. Massive guitar and drums (compared to the studio version), but the drop chorus at the end (where Edge introduces shimmer) puts the song in a whole new light, and is fucking incredible. Two very different sounds, but they work well together. An album full of that kind of fusion could be amazing.

a fusion like that would be amazing. yep.

it's happening.. sadly, U2's not at the forefront

a fusion like that would be amazing. yep.

it's happening.. sadly, U2's not at the forefront

Very cool stuff. And actually sounds like real people playing! Seriously hoping Bono's talk of SoE being less polished turns out to be true.

Here's an example of the fusion i had in mind:

Pretty raw guitar (i think it's a cello bow used on the strings), then a very atmospheric feel from 2:42. All wrapped up in a pretty pop-friendly chord progression.

You're not gonna hear anything of that kind from U2, that's for sure. And I'm not sad about it. Are you really comparing that to U2?

You're not gonna hear anything of that kind from U2, that's for sure. And I'm not sad about it. Are you really comparing that to U2?

No i'm not, and i'm not even really saying that that's the kind of sound i expect from them in the future. I was just saying how a fusion of heavy guitar and atmosphere (as with the 2 producers they're working with right now) can meld really well together - i gave that video as an example.

sigur ros? ahh man no way, i always hated them :lol:

tumblr_m2hw4duzRt1r74wvv.gif

No i'm not, and i'm not even really saying that that's the kind of sound i expect from them in the future. I was just saying how a fusion of heavy guitar and atmosphere (as with the 2 producers they're working with right now) can meld really well together - i gave that video as an example.

I see where you're going here, and must say i like it. I mean, one might say that Exit, Wire, Dirty Day, SLABT, NLOTH-ish..., maybe Electrical Storm style with some grittier guitar work, Gone and Even Mofo in a way.

Anyway, If that were the direction, i would be all over it. I, like someone said earlier, has always been more drawn to the darker grittier U2, AB/Zoo/Pop. I'm not expecting anything too dark anymore, but please GOD no more Walk Ons, or Stucks, or SYCMIOYOs - at least on this next one... :pray:

I guess when i really think about it, the whole AB/Zoo/POP era pretty much fused the darker, grittier, guitar sound while still incorporating the bands atmospheric touches. So doing that could be seen as a retread.
So maybe they go a little more stripped down rougher sound this time, who knows. But I'll take an Achtung Baby retread any day over a ATYCLB retread.

I see where you're going here, and must say i like it. I mean, one might say that Exit, Wire, Dirty Day, SLABT, NLOTH-ish..., maybe Electrical Storm style with some grittier guitar work, Gone and Even Mofo in a way.

Anyway, If that were the direction, i would be all over it. I, like someone said earlier, has always been more drawn to the darker grittier U2, AB/Zoo/Pop. I'm not expecting anything too dark anymore, but please GOD no more Walk Ons, or Stucks, or SYCMIOYOs - at least on this next one... :pray:

Yeah, U2 have always been capable of fusing atmosphere with heavy, gritty guitar (as with the examples you pointed out). After listening to the work done by the two producers mentioned working on SoE with them, it seems like they at the very least have the potential to embrace the extremes of both of these sounds - though wether they actually do that or not is a completely different question.

I will be very curious to see what we actually get in the end, after this talk of the songs sounding zooropa esque, but also very gritty and rough. Will they follow through on any of that, or will they resort to final over-produced polishes and finishing touches that have marked the last few albums?

A good indication will be how long they take to actually release SoE (if at all), and certainly a good indicator will be if they call in more commercial producers for the final months.

Zooropa was a one of a kind album. Unique is its own special way. But, I don't want to see U2 return to anything like that. Whether U2 wants to admit it or not, they've been a band that has operated in trilogies. And right now they're in the middle of another trilogy. I loved SOI and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they progress on the next album. Whenever it may come out. Sure, they might record some new tracks that are reminiscent of the 90's stuff, but I wanna hear stuff that's new and fresh. I couldn't give a rat's ass if they use 4000 producers. If it sounds good to me, that's all I care about. And thankfully, I'm an easy mark. I don't hate any U2 songs. There are songs that I don't like as much as others, but none that I despise. You'll never see me go off on a rant expending negative energy saying how much this album sucks or that song sucks because that's not how I roll. I focus on what I like and not on what I hate.

It's amazing how stupid reporters can be.

Edge was clearly bringing up Zooropa in the context of the speed in which it was finished, not in the style of music on the next record.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing as a read headline after headline "U2 Making Zooropa II"...I mean not quoting any particular headlines, just the context of what they're trying to say.

:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom