Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a week off now, right? I imagine they'll be hard at work on it. Bono sounded great at that last show. Seems like the perfect time to nail some vocals. Maybe a return to Hansa while in Berlin?

Dont wanna be a broken record about this (well actually I dont mind all that much) but Bono did say the record will be out next year. So we have three months at the very least. And its not like its gonna drop the first of january. Its good that they have done the album shoots and that a large part of it is reportedly finished, but we have all been here so many times before.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Dont wanna be a broken record about this (well actually I dont mind all that much) but Bono did say the record will be out next year. So we have three months at the very least. And its not like its gonna drop the first of january. Its good that they have done the album shoots and that a large part of it is reportedly finished, but we have all been here so many times before.

The band was said 2016 multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Don't believe a thing until a release date is announced, or in the case of SOI, when it's just magically in your iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Depressing.

schisms029.jpg

It think it will be announced mid-november (along with the HBO-documentary/live broadcast) with a new tour announcement for 2016.:applaud:

The sudden and unexpected release of SOI shows that U2 albums can strike when we least expect them. Like now. Or now. Or maybe right now!

That makes me wonder... after the backlash with SoI, might u2 move more towards a traditional album release with SoE? I know that the bad press was to do with SoI being placed in everyone's music libraries rather than the surprise release, but i wonder if they'll try to distance themselves from that whole ordeal by having a different type of release, i.e. moving back to single, album announced a month before release etc?

Highly doubt it will be another surprise release, free or not. I think the surprise this time will be how quickly they have another album ready with their history.

Yeah, frankly, even if SoE is released in a traditional way with loads of build up (teases from u2.com, album/single announcement, single released a week later, album a month later), simply being released - in 2016 before this current touring era is over - will surprise me more than the release of SoI did, simply because the idea of u2 releasing a quick follow up album actually seems more difficult and unlike them than the surprise release of SoI.
(Not to downplay the surprise that was SoI; it was still a shock to me, and probably the most exciting time for me as a u2 fan for 11 years)

That makes me wonder... after the backlash with SoI, might u2 move more towards a traditional album release with SoE? I know that the bad press was to do with SoI being placed in everyone's music libraries rather than the surprise release, but i wonder if they'll try to distance themselves from that whole ordeal by having a different type of release, i.e. moving back to single, album announced a month before release etc?

It's really an unknown territory; I don't think anyone who's released a surprise album in the last few years has released a follow-up yet. No real playbook on what you do after you use a surprise model. U2 faces a magnified version of this problem since the album was free. Why pay for something when you know you've gotten it for free? Unsure if you just have to stick with that model and face the declining benefits it entails or if you need to go back to a traditional model. Gut says you can't go back to a traditional method and you need to come up with another innovative release method. Once you go surprise or free surprise, no going back because traditional comparatively looks "lesser."

Of course, this is in the mind of casual fans. All of us uber fans would flip out and pay all the money for SOE.

Yeah i know what you mean, it might seem like a step back to go back to a traditional release, as much because of a lack of imagination as due to lack of courage/conviction to stand by the SoI decision.
It would be great to see SoE suddenly announced or released out of nowhere, maybe near to when the next tour legs are confirmed.

I'm sure they realize that the importance of their next release is going to be a kick ass lead single since the release method was so scrutinized on the last one. I have a feeling they have one.

The thing is, after 2 albums in a row that failed to have a hit single, will they continue to chase that hope? We've already had hints from both Adam and Bono that they're at the very least considering shifting their priorities to making music for their current audience, rather than making more commercial stuff to remain the biggest band in the world, because - at least in terms of current output over the last 5 years - they're really not.

Plus, they've hinted at SoE being more 'experimental', and likening it to Zooropa, in which case it could be even less likely to have radio-friendly material than SoI.

I have no idea myself which direction they'll go in though, but the possibility (even if small) is still there that they'll give up chasing radio singles, if even just on SoE.

... On the other hand, that 'U Talkin' U2 to me?' podcast did paint the new material as being very single friendly - hell maybe even more so than SoI. They describe an epic album opener, a beautiful tune that has single written all over it, and an anthem that would make an arena go crazy, all of which flies in the face of what i just wrote!

Hell, U2 are a big, stadium band, that's just who they are... I guess some big singles are on the way. And based off the descriptions (both anthem-like and experimental), they sound very exciting :up:

It doesn't need to be a song in the same category of vertigo or beautiful day. A good song is a good song. Miracle didn't do it for the majority of the people on here even in my option.

Miracle was a funny one - I love the song, but (as someone else here said) it feels like a great 3 minute song rattling around inside an average 4 minute song. Quite frustrating, i feel like they were so close to another classic.

Anyone have any idea who is (or could be) producing SoE? I know the producer of Lamb was mentioned, but a couple of articles mentioned that u2 was working with several people, and only mentioned one or two. I wonder if they were intentionally not mentioned because it's someone big they're keeping under wraps?

If they really have 18 completed tracks, they need to release this asap and stop fiddling around with it. I don't mind Bono bono-ing as long as they don't get cold feet again!

Well, something’s telling me that the 50-60 composed for NLOTH probably weren’t completed per se (i.e., full vocals, etc.). I could easily see them having 18 songs more or less done, especially if some of these were held off of SOI in the first place.

Miracle was a funny one - I love the song, but (as someone else here said) it feels like a great 3 minute song rattling around inside an average 4 minute song. Quite frustrating, i feel like they were so close to another classic.

I felt the same way a little bit when I first heard it. I still like the song and think the chorus does the job alright, but something tells me they were a massive hook or two away from making it quite memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom