Songs of Experience MegaThread - Meltdown or Getdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as a launch I guess, but somewhere in the promo mix, yeah why not. Not sure, though, how well Bono would do in such a setting. He's somehow become so self-conscious (which conflicts with his cockiness... makes for a strange mix)

The chili peppers episode was very funny.

It was ! and sincerely it would be the coolest thing they could do : EVERY hot artist are doing it ! Carpool Karaoke. Gathers a shitload of views on Youtube and is THE show for bands/artists to appear on today.

Wouldn't be cool if only LARRY would hop in and sing ? :applaud:

The U2 camp are waiting until frosh week has ended before releasing a single. Their wannabe fans would be too drunk to notice otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone 9 from the future.

It was mentioned before, but U2 are not going to release their new single the same day as Lady Gaga, even if the latter is past her peak level of popularity.

I also don't think it's likely to happen over the weekend, as the media coverage won't be as heavy.

Maybe the original plan was for this Friday per chrisedge's info, but they had to bump it due to Gaga's move.

Maybe everyone's taking advantage and releasing new music tomorrow cause next week belongs to U2. :wink:

I would hope that they're not concerned over other artists releasing singles nor over the need to make some big splash with the announcement and instead just drop it.

I'm probably kidding myself with that hope... but they need to stop trying so hard and just allow the music to stand on its own

I think bypassing a big event like the Apple launch or the Super Bowl is still a show of restraint if they just drop the single on its own. You can't begrudge them not wanting to go head-to-head with a huge pop act like Gaga, especially if they're (however delusionally) after a piece of the same demographic.

Bypassing the events also shows a potential vote of confidence in the material itself

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really hope tomorrow is the day. I don't think that the release of a single is based off of anything other than whether it's ready and if the album is ready and on their schedule.

Where the band members are currently in the world makes no difference most likely about whether a single drops. If they all show up together somewhere it will either be to start rehearsing or (hopefully not) going back in the studio.

Also I think Bono's ego is too big to worry about who else is releasing a single on a specific day.

If tomorrow is the day, I'm sure it's been planned for sometime. The question is are they confident in the music or not. And I sure hope they are and that tomorrow is the day!

If tomorrow is the day, then we should be seeing new music popping up on Apple Music/iTunes Store within the next 24 hours. It's gonna be a busy day for my ears...GaGa, Bastille, Kings of Leon, The Head and the Heart, etc.

Ftr these came out the same day as SoI.

Better Than Ezra / All Together Now / Rock,alternative
Death From Above 1979 / The Physical World / Punk rock,indie rock,noise rock
Francisca Valenzuela / Tajo Abierto / Latin pop,pop,synthpop
Gladys Knight / Where My Heart Belongs / Gospel,soul,R&B
Hiss Golden Messenger / Lateness of Dancers / Country rock,alternative country,Indie folk
In Flames / Siren Charms / Alternative metal
Jhené Aiko / Souled Out / PBR&B
Lecrae / Anomaly / Christian hip hop
Lee Brice / I Don't Dance / Country
Meghan Trainor / Title / Pop,R&B
Michelle Williams / Journey To Freedom / Contemporary gospel,R&B
Rittz / Next To Nothing / Hip hop
Simian Mobile Disco / Whorl / Electronica
Switchfoot / The Edge of the Earth / Alternative rock

Ftr these came out the same day as SoI.

Better Than Ezra / All Together Now / Rock,alternative
Death From Above 1979 / The Physical World / Punk rock,indie rock,noise rock
Francisca Valenzuela / Tajo Abierto / Latin pop,pop,synthpop
Gladys Knight / Where My Heart Belongs / Gospel,soul,R&B
Hiss Golden Messenger / Lateness of Dancers / Country rock,alternative country,Indie folk
In Flames / Siren Charms / Alternative metal
Jhené Aiko / Souled Out / PBR&B
Lecrae / Anomaly / Christian hip hop
Lee Brice / I Don't Dance / Country
Meghan Trainor / Title / Pop,R&B
Michelle Williams / Journey To Freedom / Contemporary gospel,R&B
Rittz / Next To Nothing / Hip hop
Simian Mobile Disco / Whorl / Electronica
Switchfoot / The Edge of the Earth / Alternative rock
It was the perfect day to release SoI, U2 is the biggest act in that list.

True, but I'd say that literally all of the attention was on them in the hours leading to the performance and release.

Doesn't really *feel* like it's going to be tomorrow. Week-of the iHeartRadio show seems more likely to me at this point.

It should stand out regardless of the release method used, but if U2 are so cautious that they have to see who else dares release music on the same day, maybe there are some clues in that list.

Nothing will happen tomorrow... there is nothing indicating there will be a release. No teasing, the band seem split in different locations...

Nothing will happen tomorrow... there is nothing indicating there will be a release. No teasing, the band seem split in different locations...

Hell, I'm not even convinced that there will be new music this year, frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't think that the release of a single is based off of anything other than whether it's ready and if the album is ready and on their schedule.

It should stand out regardless of the release method used, but if U2 are so cautious that they have to see who else dares release music on the same day, maybe there are some clues in that list.

In a perfect world, maybe. But U2 has a manager who is very aware of the marketplace and U2's position in it as veterans; I highly doubt he would sign off on competing with Gaga for attention/coverage/sales/etc.

There aren't a lot of acts U2 would have to get out of the way for at this moment in time, but Beyonce, Kanye, Gaga, Drake are on that shortlist.

Well the good news is that he's back in the States. Looks like they'll be entering rehearsal mode very soon.

Sooo, this place going up in flames tomorrow? :corn:

I doubt there'll be new music tomorrow. If there is, cool. Hopefully either way we get news soon of SOE and the continuation of the tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom