Songs of Experience MegaThread - Meltdown or Getdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you're all pissing in my cereal.

please let me just believe that something will happen tomorrow (even if I am delusional).:sexywink:

Yes,something will happen tomorrow.they'll start rehearsing Vertigo,BD,I will follow,Desire and One with Terry Lawless..LOL..

Last edited:
Slow news day, bit of googling of U2 related folk, found this:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/declan-gaffney-489a7818

Declan says he has been working with U2 for the last two years in the studio and on the road.

I don't have access to his full profile, and I know its not exactly totally surprising given his involvement in hauling SOI over the line at the end. But still, nice to see he has actually been in the studio again with them, especially as he is more of an end of process kind of technician/producer/mixer?

I haven't read this new thread yet, hope I'm not double posting this. Anyway, not sure what you mean with "full profile". His profile is very clear. He's currently working with U2 (2008 - present). I don't remember the name, but I've seen his picture somewhere (that exact LinkedIn profile picture)...

I wager the single is out tomorrow or next Friday. Likely tomorrow due to rehearsals for iHeartRadio starting, supposedly, next week. But this is the 2, so who knows

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That could easily happen, it just raises the question.....WHY?

Why play that gig? Radio has nothing of U2 to play. There's been no announcement of the tour, so can't promote that. And it would be really stupid to play those songs, announce hey we're back in 2017 with the continuation of the tour....

But this is clumsy marketing U2 now, so it's all possible.

Is there a precedent for two promotional full band performances with zero new music ?

Exactly what Headache said.

New music is coming, and it's going to come soon. You don't need three weeks of rehearsals for a "Best Of" set on a shared stage.

For what it's worth, one of the film crew members (from this tour) is on his way to LA. He obviously doesn't specify what for. To my knowledge he isn't usually involved in any music videos. But, who knows. Maybe they're getting started on rehearsals of new material and at the same time discuss the new setup of the stage. Or filming iHeart to create a music video / VR experience out of it (I guess he wouldn't need 2 weeks to plan that though). Or it could be totally unrelated ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a few singles leading up to the release, especially if there's going to be a gap. They've never tried that before, but it's pretty common these days.
Hypothetical:
Single 09/09
Single 09/16
Single 09/23
There's 3 singles to play for iHeart. drop the album a few weeks later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a few singles leading up to the release, especially if there's going to be a gap. They've never tried that before, but it's pretty common these days.
Hypothetical:
Single 09/09
Single 09/16
Single 09/23
There's 3 singles to play for iHeart. drop the album a few weeks later.

This has been a tactic some artists have been using lately. You'll see 1 song released from the album the month leading up to the full album release. I personally prefer the whole thing dropping at once. Wouldn't be surprised if they went this route though, it would enable them to play the select few songs on late night shows.

They're not rehearsing with Terry for two weeks to play 6 warhorses.

So it's either a much longer set (it's not) or there's new material coming.

Y'all a bunch of panicky Pete's

So your thinking they'll rehearse and play Pop backwards for iheart?

I remember reading your going to Vegas the weekend of Oct 22nd? The Stones just announced there playing at the T Mobile that night. A small group of us booked Vegas that weekend last week (great deal). We might try and get cheap tickets to the Stones.

This has been a tactic some artists have been using lately. You'll see 1 song released from the album the month leading up to the full album release. I personally prefer the whole thing dropping at once. Wouldn't be surprised if they went this route though, it would enable them to play the select few songs on late night shows.

Also will help to have 3 songs circulating at once. Anthem-Ballad-Rocker. Solves the problem of which to release as a single.

They're not rehearsing with Terry for two weeks to play 6 warhorses.

So it's either a much longer set (it's not) or there's new material coming.

Y'all a bunch of panicky Pete's

While U2 are a great, great live band. One of the best.

They really aren't great at just picking up their instruments and playing. Even if the song is as simple as IWF, for some reason they still need practice.

I do think what you've said makes sense. It's logical.

But this is U2, and lately they've been anything but that.

Also will help to have 3 songs circulating at once. Anthem-Ballad-Rocker. Solves the problem of which to release as a single.

Never thought of that...interesting.

I suppose I am old school. Drop a single and then the album a month later.

So your thinking they'll rehearse and play Pop backwards for iheart?

I remember reading your going to Vegas the weekend of Oct 22nd? The Stones just announced there playing at the T Mobile that night. A small group of us booked Vegas that weekend last week (great deal). We might try and get cheap tickets to the Stones.
I'll be in Vegas September 29th to October 2nd. Missed U2 by a week.

Bastards.

While U2 are a great, great live band. One of the best.

They really aren't great at just picking up their instruments and playing. Even if the song is as simple as IWF, for some reason they still need practice.

I do think what you've said makes sense. It's logical.

But this is U2, and lately they've been anything but that.
If it was 4/5 days leading up then I'd be with you. It's three weeks. They don't need that long for only warhorses.

But I do agree with you... they've made incredibly odd marketing choices ever since Oseary took over. Playing these two gigs, having a DJ with a remixed song and not letting him play it after he snuck it out once... to release nothing? Makes no sense. But alas...

If it was 4/5 days leading up then I'd be with you. It's three weeks. They don't need that long for only warhorses.

But I do agree with you... they've made incredibly odd marketing choices ever since Oseary took over. Playing these two gigs, having a DJ with a remixed song and not letting him play it after he snuck it out once... to release nothing? Makes no sense. But alas...
Panic and self doubt has taken hold. "Let's play it to Chris Martin one more time to see what he thinks".

It would make absolutely no fucking sense if we don't hear something soon. But... U2

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Off-topic: what has always amazed me is the number of guests that view these threads...we could use your presence in these parts of the web, you know. :wave:

Off-topic: what has always amazed me is the number of guests that view these threads...we could use your presence in these parts of the web, you know. :wave:
Noone likes admitting they're a U2 fan these days :-(

After hearing yesterday that 'Carpool Karaoke' was acquired by Apple Music (news to me at least), it seems all but a given that at least one of the first episodes (if not the premiere episode) will be Bono/U2 centric with an exclusive album premiere to follow on Apple Music.

It's the perfect chance for them to debut new music, build viral buzz, be 'apologetic' about the botched SoI release while also appearing relevant and fun.

This almosts makes too much sense to me at this point..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom