Songs of Experience Episode VII: The Dreamforce Awakens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably wanted it deleted as u2 want to keep plans top secret. And they want to announce things in there own way.

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

That's crazy ambitious. The window to sell tickets would be smaller than usual, but (imo) more importantly, the window to both promote the album and rehearse new and old songs would be very narrow as well.

Maybe SoE will actually come out at the end of the month, or in August (I'd been thinking September or October).

U2 Valencia are also stating that this news also matches up with what information they have. Looks like we are going to have album & tour announcement soon

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

You'd think they'd have to make an announcement ASAP if they plan on touring in the fall. If this is the case, I need to make plans, fiscally, because I am definitely going to be seeing more than one show, and I'll probably have to travel a little bit to do so.

So, IF the rumours of an August vacation for the band are to be believed, than what can we glean RE timeline?

vacation presumably means:
- no rehearsing
- no media appearances (interviews/promotions)
- no dieting

so are they rehearsing new material in September? or will they be doing so in July? I guess the Vancouver rehearsals started a month prior to the tour kickoff, so September is probably likely if they want to be touring in October.

EDIT: as others are pointing out, this leaves very little time for ticket sales, unless it's announced in July. If the tour is announced in July, than surely the album will be too?

Last edited:
From checking American Airlines Arena's schedule, the only open weekends in September and October, excluding the DreamFest date, is September 2-3 and October 14-15. So those should be the target dates. September 2-3 seems insane considering an August vacation, so it looks like the tour will start October 14-15 in Miami.

Well it looks like they are already on vacation, so I think they'll reconvene in August.

maybe - but it seems Bono was talking business with this Selina Regazzoli person.. he may be dressed for vacation, but unless you see the whole family there I dunno if he is.

Well it looks like they are already on vacation, so I think they'll reconvene in August.

which of the 100 vacations do you mean? They are on "vacation" throughout the year. They maybe interrupted their travels recently in order to finish SOE. If tour resumes in fall then July would be announcement time, not later, that would be strange for U2.

They announced the May 2015 tour start in December 2014. July offers a comparative window, assuming an October 2016 start.

They announced the 3rd leg of the Elevation Tour I think right before 9/11 of 2001, and the tour began October 10th.

In March of 2005 they were selling tickets for shows that wouldn't occur until December.

In December of 2014 they were selling tickets for shows that wouldn't happen until the following December.

There really is no rule book. But most of the time concerts are announced roughly 3 months from the beginning of the tour.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If they're seriously beginning the tour in October, and they seem to be vacationing right now, then as too-good-to-be-true as it sounds, I would guess an album/tour announcement would happen by the end of this month, or the beginning of August.

I'd also assume that a rumour of a fall tour is just way too unrealistic, but this came from someone who was clearly with bono, and who is now trying to delete their statement from the internet, which is a pretty great indication that it's true.

If they're seriously beginning the tour in October, and they seem to be vacationing right now, then as too-good-to-be-true as it sounds, I would guess an album/tour announcement would happen by the end of this month, or the beginning of August.

They could still release the album in September. I really don't think U2 is in a place where people base their decisions on whether or not to buy tickets based on the new album as much as they may have in the past. U2 wouldn't have to release an album to sell out shows at this point in their career.

With that said, I still think the next leg will be tied to the new album based on the tour name and larger plan. But they could technically release the album the same day the tour starts and would still be fine with ticket sales.

That's a good point that they don't really need to do much to encourage/promote a tour, but I'm thinking that they still want relevance, 'lots of hits' etc, and that would include an audience familiar with the music on songs of experience.

So I think they'd want to release SoE early enough before the shows to ensure the crowd know/love the songs.

I'd bet money they want to have SoE music that the crowd reacts to to the same extent as the opening "oh-oh-oh's' of 'The Miracle', and that wouldn't work of the album came out right before the opening night.

That's a good point that they don't really need to do much to encourage/promote a tour, but I'm thinking that they still want relevance, 'lots of hits' etc, and that would include an audience familiar with the music on songs of experience.

So I think they'd want to release SoE early enough before the shows to ensure the crowd know/love the songs.

I'd bet money they want to have SoE music that the crowd reacts to to the same extent as the opening "oh-oh-oh's' of 'The Miracle', and that wouldn't work of the album came out right before the opening night.

Very good point. I still think early-mid September makes the most sense.

Very good point. I still think early-mid September makes the most sense.

Yeah, me too... If only because July/August for SoE seems too good to be true (also 40th anniversary in September).

Then again, time to promote the album (As mentioned before, they may want to make up for lack of SoI promotion), *and* rehearse for the tour would require a bigger gap.

Didn't Metallica played for Salesforce event in the past?

Yup, Metallica is basically our house band. They've done a bunch of events for Salesforce in the past, and Marc Benioff is good friends with Lars (they go to Warriors games together, etc.)

We've also had the Killers, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stevie Wonder, Green Day, Pearl Jam, and others over the years. Difference with those bands is that you can just call them up, offer a boatload of money, and they'll come play. With U2 it doesn't quite work that way, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom