Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crankity crank

The Fly
I've never created a thread here, but i thought this was thread creation worthy... according to Bono on u2.com:

"We’re collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed. We’ll keep you posted. If you like Songs of Innocence, stay with us for Songs of Experience. It should be ready soon enough… although I know I’ve said that before… "

http://www.u2.com/news/title/remember-us

And apparently Dave Fallon said this:
Dave Fanning playing the album on 2fm. He says there will be more albums in the near future.

Wouldn't it be REALLY cool if the Oct.13th release is actually "Songs of Experience" ?

2 "nobody saw it coming" events in 2 months.

One can hope.

Interesting. Songs of Innocence about being young, growing up in Dublin. Songs of Experience about being older, looking back on what you've lived through? :hmm:

Wouldn't it be REALLY cool if the Oct.13th release is actually "Songs of Experience" ?

2 "nobody saw it coming" events in 2 months.

One can hope.

See?! Right there! That's why we always get hurt. High and unreasonable expectations.

:p But, maybe when the tour kicks off they'll throw out the 2nd album...

'Songs of Experience', follow up to 'Songs of Innocence'?

Statement Bono on u2.com

"'Hello, bonjour, ciao, hola, hallo, zdravo, dobar dan, Dia duit, hæ, hej,hei, cześć, olá, ćao, namaste, sawatdee, jambo, pozdravi, Γεια σου, привіт, שלום, مرحبا, こんにちは, , سلام, 你好, Привет….

Remember us? Pleased to announce myself, Edge, Adam and Larry have finally given birth to our new baby… Songs of Innocence. It’s been a while. We wanted to get it right for you/us. We just finished it last week and thanks to Apple and iTunes it’s with you today. That’s already amazing to me as it normally takes a few months to turn this stuff around.

Part of the DNA of this band has always been the desire to get our music to as many people as possible. In the next 24 hours, over a half a billion people are going to have Songs of Innocence… should they choose to check it out. That is so exciting. People who haven’t heard our music, or weren’t remotely interested, might play us for the first time because we’re in their library. Country fans, hip hop afficionados from east LA, electro poppers from Seoul, Bhangra fans from New Delhi, Highlifers in Accra… might JUST be tempted to check us out, even for a moment. What a mind blowing, head scratching, 21st century situation. Over 500 million people… that’s a billion ears. And for the people out there who have no interest in checking us out, look at it this way… the blood, sweat and tears of some Irish guys are in your junk mail.

You’ll have noticed the album is free to U2.com’ers from the band. It’s also free to everyone on iTunes thanks to Apple. To celebrate the ten year anniversary of our iPod commercial, they bought it as a gift to give to all their music customers. Free, but paid for. Because if no-one's paying anything for it, we’re not sure “free” music is really that free. It usually comes at a cost to the art form and the artist… which has big implications, not for us in U2, but for future musicians and their music... all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them.

We’re collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed. We’ll keep you posted. If you like Songs of Innocence, stay with us for Songs of Experience. It should be ready soon enough… although I know I’ve said that before…

I hope after listening to our new long player a few times, you’ll understand why it took so long. We really went there… it’s a very, very personal album. Apologies if that gets excruciating… actually, I take that back. No apologies if it gets excruciating. What’s the point in being in U2 if you can’t go there?
There is no end to LOVE.'
BONO"

A clever marketing move if you think about it. U2 releases "teaser" album and massive media support for releasing it for free. "Songs of Experience" gets released, and, BAM, they capitalize on a massive tidal wave of publicity.

Well he put it in writing this time and now we are allowed to bitch about it not being released soon ?

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

I believe this one I think.

Though, Bono did say they have things planned with Apple over the next couple of years. But he also said "Sooner than you may think". If it was soon, I'd think spring 2015 when the tour starts. And am I the only one freaked out that we're close to 2015?

It won't happen.

Songs Of Ascent was supposed to come out shortly after NLOTH.... never happened. No album until 6 years later...

A fair point has been made, though: Bono never announced Songs of Ascent ON U2.com, did he?

will be interesting to hear Songs of Experience, because Songs of Innocence is already pretty badass :D

Bono already talked about 2 albums so this isn't a surprise. They talked about youth AND maturity. If people can read the lyrics it's the youth period in this first record so half the material is missing. With Ordinary Love and Invisible, plus the 2 new ones that's 15 new tracks before the next record comes out. If the material is just as good the wait was worth it.

Except why would Invisible be in the "Experience" category? Ordinary Love would make sense though.

I think purpleoscar is suggesting that ol and invisible are going to be part of the bonus tracks, meaning we'd already have 15 tracks, on top of a second album.

I'm talking more about how prolific the band is at this period. That reminds me. There's a soundtrack for the movie with Carney so there's even more material that could be potentially good.

They title, as I'm sure most of you know, comes from William Blake. And the two books go together. You can't have Songs of Innocence without Songs of Experience.

Releasing "Songs of Experience" is the logical next step, considering they are following the William Blake concept. Releasing only "Songs of Innocence" would be like publishing half a book.

Will "Songs of Innocence" be available as a physical release on Oct 13 or as a payable version in iTunes only?

Releasing "Songs of Experience" is the logical next step, considering they are following the William Blake concept. Releasing only "Songs of Innocence" would be like publishing half a book.

Will "Songs of Innocence" be available as a physical release on Oct 13 or as a payable version in iTunes only?

It should include CD (with bonus tracks) and vinyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom