Songs Of Experience 9 (albums aborted and counting...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And which ones do you consider album worthy?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm with you(or with what I think you are trying to say).

I would argue the only "album worthy" b-side was Silver and Gold. Runner up would be Sweetest Thing but it wasn't "polished" enough as originally recorded.

I would also say North and South of the River would be potentially album worthy.

Work? Adam's home in London. Edge in Sacramento. The rest we don't know. They're back from full vacation, off the grid mode. But not back at work (=studio, rehearsing, tour planning,...). Again, that would make total sense if the album was finished. The last official reunion might have been with Oseary to nod things off while he was in Eze. If that was correct it would mean that we'd likely get the single before iHeart.

I think what he's saying is that they're amping up their social media presence, they did the same thing prior to the dvr'd/blu-ray release.

Personally, I don't think iHeart show is a HUGE deal the way some people think. I would put it on the same level as the MTV Video Awards that just happened a wk ago. It's the kind of event that people talked about Beyonce and Britney performance the next day, but a day after that it's not on people's minds anymore. I think u2 are smart enough to know this and aren't overestimating the impact of the upcoming show. They want to do it to cozy up to iHeart for hopefully upcoming radio play, but I doubt they see it as the golden platform for "the big single reveal".
That said, I DO think they will play the new single there, but it won't be the sole launch pad for it, I think it will have been dropped in advance (a few days, a week..). Relying on solely the iHeart performance would be equivalent to debuting a single at a Grammy or Brit Awards show. A good supplement, but definitely not strong enough for the lone big splash. I suspect there will be more like Fallon or promo circuit stuff to compliment it.

As for the dreamforce thing, I see it as more or less a private (limited tixs) charity event for a friend. Similar to the Decade of Difference event for Clinton in 2011. Again, definitely not a big enough platform to accomplish much of a splash on its own.

I think what he's saying is that they're amping up their social media presence, they did the same thing prior to the dvr'd/blu-ray release.

I understood it that way. Just replied in a broader sense. It's true that the social media activity went down during vacation time but I don't think this indicates much. It just gives us something to talk about which is nice :)

Personally, I don't think iHeart show is a HUGE deal the way some people think. I would put it on the same level as the MTV Video Awards that just happened a wk ago. It's the kind of event that people talked about Beyonce and Britney performance the next day, but a day after that it's not on people's minds anymore. I think u2 are smart enough to know this and aren't overestimating the impact of the upcoming show. They want to do it to cozy up to iHeart for hopefully upcoming radio play, but I doubt they see it as the golden platform for "the big single reveal".
That said, I DO think they will play the new single there, but it won't be the sole launch pad for it, I think it will have been dropped in advance (a few days, a week..). Relying on solely the iHeart performance would be equivalent to debuting a single at a Grammy or Brit Awards show. A good supplement, but definitely not strong enough for the lone big splash. I suspect there will be more like Fallon or promo circuit stuff to compliment it.

As for the dreamforce thing, I see it as more or less a private (limited tixs) charity event for a friend. Similar to the Decade of Difference event for Clinton in 2011. Again, definitely not a big enough platform to accomplish much of a splash on its own.
I agree. If we're right and the single is imminent with the album following in the next weeks / months, then those gigs are certainly not the only ones. I also think the single will probably be out before iHeart. The wait will hopefully be over soon :)

The zero mention on the band own webite of their 2 headliners slots for iheartradio and dreamforce gigs is still headsrcatching for me.I mean,every other bands/artists who has a live performance that is coming and confirm is always mention in the news section of their own the webite..

U2.com is a completely worthless site. I literally never look at it unless I'm trying to participate in a presale.

Watch them play some under rehearsed shit version of one and butcher vertigo and then release the single a week later to see it not chart at all

Best to prepare to be disappointed. If they actually release or play new stuff then it's a nice surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch them play some under rehearsed shit version of one and butcher vertigo and then release the single a week later to see it not chart at all

Hope you're wrong. It would be so incredibly stupid to miss the opportunity to play a new song that has already had (in its remix version?) a good reception. Even though I'm not sure anymore Kygo had permission to play the song, it was a nice test run for U2. If there's a song they could play to that audience it's The Best Thing... Possibly even in a live remix with Kygo (I just guess that's possible). Why not, could make a nice splash. And I guess they have a deal with iHeart Radio that will get them plenty of airplay. What would be the point if they didn't have a single & album out or coming out soon?

Hey guys,

As someone who has lurked on these threads for too long to mention, as someone who was a propaganda member. As someone who has waited with you all every few years for our little pipeline to the universe to open up and spin us another 50 minutes of wonderment, I just want to say, thank you to all of you. This probably represents the last time we will be able to wait, in the blue threads, when the stakes are high, and the world cares, (which as much as we pretend doesn't matter to us, it does) if not the last time ever.

I want to say thank you to all of you. Thank you to our shared tribe. You are all the best, each and every one of you. And I wouldn't have wasted the flower of my youth, or the prime of my adulthood with anyone else. All things must end, and so must we, but we did it pretty good, and band we followed was worth it. Rocked better and harder, for longer, and in the service of better things, than anyone else. You were part of that. And through you, so was I.

The band will release a record soon. The world will have it. The odds are, it will fail, and the only people who care will be us. Maybe it will succeed, and five years from now, I will be here with all of you, hoping against hope, for the magic to happen one last time, and maybe it will then too. But the odds are, the next time we are waiting for a new record, it will be a hits package, or a live set, from a band that has given up it's quest for the future. And that's fine, that's inevitable, and we have literally had it better than the followers of any band ever (probably better than the followers of any band ever will).

But for now, I want to savor my last pure hits of blue crack.

I love you all. I love you all so much.

Maybe The Best Thing is a 40 years celibration song that wont be on the album(maybe on bonusdisc).
They want something new to play on those two gigs.

Hey guys,

As someone who has lurked on these threads for too long to mention, as someone who was a propaganda member. As someone who has waited with you all every few years for our little pipeline to the universe to open up and spin us another 50 minutes of wonderment, I just want to say, thank you to all of you. This probably represents the last time we will be able to wait, in the blue threads, when the stakes are high, and the world cares, (which as much as we pretend doesn't matter to us, it does) if not the last time ever.

I want to say thank you to all of you. Thank you to our shared tribe. You are all the best, each and every one of you. And I wouldn't have wasted the flower of my youth, or the prime of my adulthood with anyone else. All things must end, and so must we, but we did it pretty good, and band we followed was worth it. Rocked better and harder, for longer, and in the service of better things, than anyone else. You were part of that. And through you, so was I.

The band will release a record soon. The world will have it. The odds are, it will fail, and the only people who care will be us. Maybe it will succeed, and five years from now, I will be here with all of you, hoping against hope, for the magic to happen one last time, and maybe it will then too. But the odds are, the next time we are waiting for a new record, it will be a hits package, or a live set, from a band that has given up it's quest for the future. And that's fine, that's inevitable, and we have literally had it better than the followers of any band ever (probably better than the followers of any band ever will).

But for now, I want to savor my last pure hits of blue crack.

I love you all. I love you all so much.

As someone with the same back story from propaganda to now, thank you for such eloquence. You may be right about all you said and I share your wonder and gratefulness.
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

So the three scenarios we should prepare ourselves for this year in terms of new music follow. We've all said it, we all know this band, they're all possible

1. Nothing happens
2. We get The Best Thing, but nothing else
3. We get #2, followed by an album in Nov.

Last edited:
So the three scenarios we should prepare ourselves for this year in terms of new music follow. We've all said it, we all know this band, they're all possible

1. Nothing happens

4. Bono moves to Chile to be with Leo. :D

1. Nothing happens

I think what will be quite telling is how 'the best thing' is presented. If it's released alongside an album announcement, then great. If it's released with absolutely no mention of an album or anything else, then it'll be quite troubling... I'll have flashbacks to invisible. When they started callng that a single for charity, it became obvious it was no lead single. So if the best thing becomes some kind of song just celebrating their anniversary or whatever narrative (I.e. An excuse for a new song with no album obligation), with no album mention, then I'll sense alarm bells.

I think what will be quite telling is how 'the best thing' is presented. If it's released alongside an album announcement, then great. If it's released with absolutely no mention of an album or anything else, then it'll be quite troubling... I'll have flashbacks to invisible. When they started callng that a single for charity, it became obvious it was no lead single. So if the best thing becomes some kind of song just celebrating their anniversary or whatever narrative (I.e. An excuse for a new song with no album obligation), with no album mention, then I'll sense alarm bells.

Yep. Good call.

Maybe The Best Thing is a 40 years celibration song that wont be on the album(maybe on bonusdisc).
They want something new to play on those two gigs.

Yeah, my feeling is that the album isn't done yet but they don't want their 40th to sail by without releasing a song to commemorate it. So I'm expecting some interviews this month talking about their 40 years...and not much else. Also, for selfish reasons, I hope TBT is a standalone thing and not indicative of the direction of the album. Cos it's kinda SFS level sucky.

Yep.. You've got it.

I think Invisible was "big" in that it was a unique release for them. Just a single song to test the waters... Maybe they have confidence to do more of the same now

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Yep.. You've got it.

I think Invisible was "big" in that it was a unique release for them. Just a single song to test the waters... Maybe they have confidence to do more of the same now

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Wasn't it you telling us a few days ago to expect the album Oct/Nov going by what you had heard?
Hope that is still the case!

The good thing: It is September, and we are just weeks away from ... whatever it is.

I am prepared for everything on a scale between Nothing and complete SOE release.

Yeah, my feeling is that the album isn't done yet but they don't want their 40th to sail by without releasing a song to commemorate it. So I'm expecting some interviews this month talking about their 40 years...and not much else. Also, for selfish reasons, I hope TBT is a standalone thing and not indicative of the direction of the album. Cos it's kinda SFS level sucky.

The only people thinking they have to release something for their 40th are a few interferencers. U2 are not thinking about that.

What are you basing your album not done feeling on?

Comparing TBT to SFS :rolleyes:

Have they done anything for their 30th?

Nope, as far as i remember...

I'm ready for what's next...

...which will be fairly soon! At the very least, we will see them live in a few weeks. Ideally, they might be playing a new song and announcing a new album. Then there's a whole bunch of other stuff in between that might also happen. Fun times –savor them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom