Songs Of Experience 9 (albums aborted and counting...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting note on the studios.. That part is new, and I'm pretty sure is correct.

The rest is pure guessing, as others have said

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

It's a pretty easy list to string together given where they've been over the last few years.

It's a shit post comprising of bits of info spliced together. I mean does anyone believe 'Instrument Flying' is anything but a working title? Skrillex? Really? Just because we have a picture taken together?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just had to youtube North Star just to remember myself what it sounded like. Now I know why I forgot.

The Best Thing (Beach Clip feat. barking dog) is a masterpiece compared to North Star.

Last edited:
Lads,

I don't know if this is anything that will appear on SOE in any shape or form, could be just a jam for what we know. But this riff that Edge plays on his Signature guitar trailer is fucking killer at 0:41-0:47 !!

The best thing is a good start, I think. Was thoroughly unimpressed by it at first listen from the beach clip, told myself it's just a beach clip, shouldn't have listened to it in the first place. Then had a listen to kygo (how important this hitherto unknown dj has now become in my life). Still wasn't that impressed. But the following few days, just on those two listens, the song seemed to be swirling around in my head... the verses more than the chorus. It's got a good hook is all I can say at this point. Should be the first single, seems to have the crossover appeal.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

This X 10.

Beautiful Day was a huge hit in the states and had nothing to do with 9/11. In fact BD was falling off the charts by the time 9/11/01 rolled around.

I mean if you go to a U2 concert, it gets just as big of a reception as the classics.

To this day I still hear the song on the radio just as often as the 80s classics.

I agree that BD was a huge worldwide hit.

But remember the atmosphere at the time. U2 was still at a point in their career where they were looked at as the biggest band around. POP was not viewed favorably by everyone, and they successfully put a narrative out there before BD hit, that they were "returning to the basics" and people were very excited about that. That anticipation really helped to launch BD successfully.

But no one can deny the longtime success of ATYCLB was bolstered heavily by post-9/11 feelings and how people felt about some of those songs going forward, notably, Walk On. The superbowl appearance only prolonged and reinforced their popularity at the time.

U2 are no longer in that position. The general public is no longer hanging in anticipation of the next move the biggest band in the world will make.

So going forward now is much different. But I'm hoping for a surprise success for this album. I think many might swing back favorably after the hyperbolic backlash of SOI. Can't wait to find out.

Lads,

I don't know if this is anything that will appear on SOE in any shape or form, could be just a jam for what we know. But this riff that Edge plays on his Signature guitar trailer is fucking killer at 0:41-0:47 !!

Doesn't this sound similar to The Fly?

Wait, so that Spanish site could even remember to put "The Best Thing" in their regurgitated song list? :lol:

19orz1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that BD was a huge worldwide hit.

But remember the atmosphere at the time. U2 was still at a point in their career where they were looked at as the biggest band around. POP was not viewed favorably by everyone, and they successfully put a narrative out there before BD hit, that they were "returning to the basics" and people were very excited about that. That anticipation really helped to launch BD successfully.

But no one can deny the longtime success of ATYCLB was bolstered heavily by post-9/11 feelings and how people felt about some of those songs going forward, notably, Walk On. The superbowl appearance only prolonged and reinforced their popularity at the time.

U2 are no longer in that position. The general public is no longer hanging in anticipation of the next move the biggest band in the world will make.

So going forward now is much different. But I'm hoping for a surprise success for this album. I think many might swing back favorably after the hyperbolic backlash of SOI. Can't wait to find out.

I don't really know what the point here is.

Yes, 9/11 took the album to a different level; but it was massive already. They still would have had a successful and anticipated follow up album regardless of how they were embraced after 9/11, and they would still not be as popular today because they're old and popular music is a young person's game.

Here is the only positive sure thing we know about SOE:

Bono is going to sound like he is 10 years younger on this album because they have been working on it since 2006.

I don't really know what the point here is.

Yes, 9/11 took the album to a different level; but it was massive already. They still would have had a successful and anticipated follow up album regardless of how they were embraced after 9/11, and they would still not be as popular today because they're old and popular music is a young person's game.

I'm not sure my point either. LOL. Other than to say, I know that BD was a massive hit all on its own. I just think from a sales standpoint, the album was held on the charts for a much longer period of time than it would have been without the post-9/11 embrace / superbowl moment.
At that time, if an album would stay steady in the top 50 for months, the sales would really wrack up. And sales amount does matter when looking at the importance and success of an album overall.

I'm not sure my point either. LOL. Other than to say, I know that BD was a massive hit all on its own. I just think from a sales standpoint, the album was held on the charts for a much longer period of time than it would have been without the post-9/11 embrace / superbowl moment.
At that time, if an album would stay steady in the top 50 for months, the sales would really wrack up. And sales amount does matter when looking at the importance and success of an album overall.

Back then yes...but nowadays it's no longer a metric to gauge the success of an album. Perhaps the number of Youtube Views, Twitter & Facebook followers and Concert Ticket sales...?

Back then yes...but nowadays it's no longer a metric to gauge the success of an album. Perhaps the number of Youtube Views, Twitter & Facebook followers and Concert Ticket sales...?

Concert ticket sales have nothing to do with whether or not an album was successful or not. The most attended and top grossing tour in history tells us that.

Concert ticket sales have nothing to do with whether or not an album was successful or not. The most attended and top grossing tour in history tells us that.

Right.

Then, what indicates if an ALBUM is successful or not besides actual sales since these have been "impaired" by Youtube and downloading practices ?

I'd say the number of Youtube views of songs taken from a given album is a good starter...no ?

So glad the band weren't at the VMAs last night....iheartradio will be a better place to kick off the SOE campaign

Last edited:
The VMAs were so unbelievably bad. I watched about 15 minutes. Each year it gets worse and worse. I don't understand a thing they say & am generally confused watching it. and lets be honest, its more dancing than singing.

The VMAs were so unbelievably bad. I watched about 15 minutes. Each year it gets worse and worse. I don't understand a thing they say & am generally confused watching it. and lets be honest, its more dancing than singing.

If there are NO videos on MTV any more, why do they bother with the VMA's at all...:shrug:

And so glad U2 bypassed that shitstorm...:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom