Songs Of Experience 9 (albums aborted and counting...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5 weeks to new music.

tie yourselves over with this...

not a bad demo. late 80s by the sound of it. shades of what was to come...

True, but I also think that they want to get SoE out before the Grammy deadline.

That's fair. Perhaps a download before the deadline, physical release in november?

I'm assuming the reason for the november release (other than the album not being 100% finished) is to have time to truly build up hype/suspense/buildup for the single and album, but giving them each space.

In the year 2016, where we've seen the band do surprise download releases and hire modern, young producers, I could see u2 embracing the aforementioned tactic at the cost of getting Grammys (I'm under the impression they're a little outdated, but i may be wrong), if it helps their chances of getting a 'hit'.

The Grammy cut-off for nominations is something like September 30th. That's how Beautiful Day won record of the year in 2001 and Walk On in 2002.

Wonder how this gauges into their thinking?

Hello - from Adele is eligible for Record of the Year this time and is a strong front-runner with the Grammy crowd.

Not sure what are the strong albums this year that would give U2 competition (not up to speed on current music). I'm sure Radiohead will be nominated.

If U2 feels they have a great album with multiple hits. I predict a single release before September 30th (Best Thing). Hope for some nominations out of that. Release SOE beyond the cut-off. Build momentum with the tour and hopefully songs that earn the album universal praise. Carry that momentum into the following year. ( Happened with Bomb being released in November 04' and them taking AOTY in Winter 2006)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think they're still working on final mixes for the album.. Hence conjecture over actual release date

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

pretty sure it's

single on September 19/20
band promo stuff in Dublin for their 40th anniversary
album in November
Would you expect said promo in Dublin to happen precisely on the 24th? I'm debating whether I should postpone my return flight to monday instead of sunday....

Would you expect said promo in Dublin to happen precisely on the 24th? I'm debating whether I should postpone my return flight to monday instead of sunday....
I dunno! Is the 24th technically the 40th? Are you in town for #u240? Id bet there's gonna be a whole lot if u2 stuff that weekend, regardless of whether the band does anything official.

I can see the band being loose with their definition of when the anniversary is..

That said, you know who else is celebrating their 40th? The Project Arts Centre.. Wouldn't that be an amazing venue to celebrate something special on their 40th..

I can see the band being loose with their definition of when the anniversary is..

Oh they sure will. I remember back in 2005, they basically treated an entire week as their anniversary. I remember Bono mentioning that it was their anniversary at the Milwaukee show (9/25) and then less than a week later saying the same thing on Conan O'Brien.

They'll probably milk this one for a whole month. :D

I dunno! Is the 24th technically the 40th? Are you in town for #u240? Id bet there's gonna be a whole lot if u2 stuff that weekend, regardless of whether the band does anything official.

That said, you know who else is celebrating their 40th? The Project Arts Centre.. Wouldn't that be an amazing venue to celebrate something special on their 40th..

Yep, in town for #U240 and pretty damn excited already :hyper: There are several parties besides the @U2 party on saturday. I didn't know about the project arts center though. Nice! Well, stupid me booked a flight for sunday afternoon... I can already see myself booking another return (I doubt I can actually change it).

Did the band actually ever do anything special for an anniversary? I mean like a special gig or something along those lines?

Did the band actually ever do anything special for an anniversary? I mean like a special gig or something along those lines?

No, but the timing of this one couldn't work out better for them. New album and a reason to celebrate it. People are easily swayed by milestones. Great marketing strategy.

They're playing Vegas on September 23rd. It's definitely possible to make it back to Dublin for the 25th (the actual anniversary of the first practice at Larrys house), but I can't really see them doing this. Plus the fact that the 25th is a Sunday means none of the promo tv shows will be on.

What would be really cool is if they got permission from the current owners of Larry's childhood home, and recorded them playing some chunes in the exact same place they first started. Maybe even have Dick Evans and Ian McCormick sit in too! Unlikely, but would be awesome, and would probably generate a good deal of publicity.

Getting everything so soon in a one-two punch like that would be awesome.But i wouldn't be surprised if they focus a hell of a lot more on a strong lead single this time, giving it space to be promoted, and in turn allow it to build hype for the eventual album release a few weeks later.

(I'd like to be wrong and just get everything now, but if my suggestion means a strong first single, i think it'd be worth it).

I suggested this more traditional approach couple of days ago and people almost sent killers bees after me. Well, jokes aside, i think that after the Apple fiasco the best shot is to do exactly what you said, to focus on the first single. Concentrate all the efforts to make as many people as they can to have a listen to the new song. And the new song alone. All media will be talking about this new U2 song, their comeback, etc. But, always a but, have to be a strong, catchy tune. From what we have listened already, i believe TBT has a good shot of becoming a hit. Is catchy, and the message is as universal as it comes. Imagine the potential to insert that tittle in texts published everywhere. It's Beatiful Day all over again.

Last edited:
Surprise albums: the problems with these music releases | British GQ

"It makes music feel like just another part of the internet’s overwhelming data flow rather than a refuge from it."

Perfect. And U2 fits that entirely. U2 music was always about avoiding the obvious. It was always a way of finding our own space. People listen to U2 to get absorbed in the emotion they put on the songs. No surprise album, make people crave for the experience.

I suggested this more traditional approach couple of days ago and people almost sent killers bees after me. Well, jokes aside, i think that after the Apple fiasco the best shot is to do exactly what you said, to focus on the first single. Concentrate all the efforts to make as many people as they can to have a listen to the new song. And the new song alone. All media will be talking about this new U2 song, their comeback, etc. But, always a but, have to be a strong, catchy tune. From what we have listened already, i believe TBT has a good shot of becoming a hit. Is catchy, and the message is as universal as it comes. Imagine the potential to insert that tittle in texts published everywhere. It's Beatiful Day all over again.

Not the bees!

Yeah, they really have to let the music do the talking for them. As you mention, they can get away from the Apple fiasco, and get away from the impression that they're a big, established monolithic band that has to make a big monolithic statement with every release (which is probably off-putting to a lot of youngsters, hipsters and others, but also presents the band with the colossal burden of living up to their 40 year reputation, and 5 year long silences between albums).

And ultimately, at the end of the day, all that matters is the music. If the single isn't strong enough and they do amazing publicity, it still won't be a hit. If the single is great and people enjoy it, and they have little or shit publicity, it will still likely be a hit.

It makes perfect sense for them to do something subdued this time round. Just play the song on the radio, play the remix in clubs, get it circulated in a way where it's saying "here's this cool new song", not "HERE'S THE NEW U2 SINGLE!!!".

None of this uploading to everyone's Apple accounts instantly, making a big deal about it being the biggest audience to ever receive an album.

I doubt anyone in the general public remembers the manner in which beautiful day was released. They just remember the song. Whereas, i bet a lot of the same people couldn't name a song off of SoI, but they could tell you how it was released (and how much they hated it).

I think being humble and staying away from grand statements is in their interest. And if the music is good enough, that's all they need.

U2Valencia - News coming soon unless it doesn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I really don't know why he hasn't been banned yet. Happens every album cycle.

but before you're rightfully exiled again, please post that single artwork, looks interesting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom