Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms - Page 78 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #1156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
They've been very successful and have been doing right in getting richer the same 1%, indeed.
It's funny that the same U2 that shouts "Poverty is Sexist" is the same U2 that puts on the feminist pedestal two women that are the biggest contributors to lead to poverty and extreme poverty thousands or even millions of europeans with their moralist, dogmatic and totalitarian austerity schemes, specially women (and children and older people) who are always the first victims of these political choices.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #1157
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
It was a sexist thing to say, and there is no valid defense for it. But he has shown to care deeply about women's rights, and this is very minor in comparison. I get annoyed by it, but I take solace in that he'll learn his lesson, if not from any backlash then probably from his wife and daughters.
As a non native english speaker I didn’t catch all the nuances. I think he meant that majority of today’s pop is consumed by teenage girls through Spotify and Musicaly and it’s very polished ”safe” sounding music. Teenager boys don’t have new bands that they could channel their angst like I did when I was younger: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nirvana. But that it just how I understood his words. Also, I fear that the way we read comments today has changed for worse. Everything is always processed first through this question: should I be offended by this? And that follows: is this enough to valid a social media shit storm?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #1158
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
They've been very successful and have been doing right in getting richer the same 1%, indeed.

It's funny that the same U2 that shouts "Poverty is Sexist" is the same U2 that puts on the feminist pedestal two women that are the biggest contributors to lead to poverty and extreme poverty thousands or even millions of europeans with their moralist, dogmatic and totalitarian austerity schemes, specially women (and children and older people) who are always the first victims of these political choices.

Not the first time he’s been ambiguous and certainly not the last.
We can write a book about it.
Anyway, I agree with you in every word.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #1159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jippu71 View Post
Teenager boys don’t have new bands that they could channel their angst like I did when I was younger
of course they do! mine (boy and girl) found some amazing bands as teenagers - there's absolutely tons of good stuff out there for kids who love and identify with music
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #1160
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
what's radio got to do with it? there was no mention of radio...

you missed the irony that a band of 4 blokes were happy to take a bass line made by a girl, then one of them complains about music being too girly OMG
Going further, of all the guest artists on the last two albums, only one was male (Kendrick), the others being Haim, Lady Gaga, and Lykke Li.