Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
modern u2

I've deeply loved work from all their albums, with some albums having a lot of works I love - and thus of course my favorites.
With only hearing the snips on YT, and TBT on the radio, I've been quite impressed already.
Heard GOOYOW today on college radio (they played one earlier which I missed so don't know what it was). I really liked part of the instrumental section about ?halfway through!
Hopefully the station will highlight it as new album of the week (next Mon) and I'll be able to hear it (if my CD player isn't working).

Last edited:
modern u2

I've deeply loved work from all their albums, with some albums having a lot of works I love - and thus of course my favorites.
With only hearing the snips on YT, and TBT on the radio, I've been quite impressed already.
Heard GOOYOW today on college radio (they played one earlier which I missed so don't know what it was). I really liked part of the instrumental section about ?halfway through!
Hopefully the station will highlight it as new album of the week (next Mon) and I'll be able to hear it (if my CD player isn't working).

Do u wanna download it or something from me? I’d be happy to give u a link.

Serious respect to this band. They took my least favorite song from SOI and used it in one of my top 3 songs on SOE.

I share the same sentiment. I think they delivered a great record, and ultimately that is what's going to emerge in history, no matter how the album is received by the average internet critic or meta-critic. Those are heavily biased by multiple factors, and do not necessarily represent the true value of the album for the average person exposed to it. For me, it is a transformative album that came when it was needed. I'm truly grateful.

My CD won't be here till Monday from Amazon. Listened to some clips already from YouTube and very intrigued and excited! Would love if someone could send me a link to download them :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Have at it! As long as you report back with your thoughts

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/wqbqT1FprD

https://pitchfork.com/best/

INXS at their peak summoned a grandeur no less numinous for being sex-drenched. At this stage in their careers, INXS were more authentic about their lightness than U2 were about their meaningfulness. After all, Bono, a chum of Hutchence’s, also wrote about the devil inside; Michael Hutchence sang as if he’d confronted him—and liked the cut of his jib. The devil was himself.

Anyone expecting better than this was beyond unrealistic. Anyone disliking this - well, modern U2 just isn’t for them. That’s fine, too.
I'm on board with this. Not knocking anyone. Not suggesting this is up there with TUF, JT, AB. But it's 2017 and U2 are still fucking awesome. I remember being devastated at the thought they might quit post Zooropa/pre Pop. That was 22 years ago.
Lucky fans

Bono's had too much "Interference"

I HAD TO FIGHT EVEN HARDER FOR THAT FAITH. TO MAKE OUT ‘THE STILL SMALL VOICE’. I HAD TO PULL DOWN THE BLINDS ON THE WORLD. SHUT OUT THE BACKGROUND AND FOREGROUND NOISES. THE INTERFERENCE. TURN DOWN THE VOLUME OF MY CROWDED MIND TO HEAR THAT STILL, SOFT VOICE THAT PROMISES ‘THE PEACE THAT PASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING’.

Anyone notice how the bridge in the Showman sounds like Broken Social Scene?!

It’s awesome.

Is the very beginning of Landlady a callback to Raised ByWolves?

It is for me right now and it’s very Broadway. Brings you back to Dublin. Amazing that a little one note rhythmic phrase could do that.

Last edited:
Is the very beginning of Landlady a callback to Raised ByWolves?

It is for me right now and it’s very Broadway. Brings you back to Dublin. Amazing that a little one note rhythmic phrase could do that.

That's what I heard. But does that mean that Ali is a wolf in landlady's clothing? :)

This album has moved me so many times today. I heard the live version of The Little Things in Vancouver and I could tell I would love it, but the lyrics in the last part of that song blew me away today. Tears were flowing as 13 came on to beautifully close out this work of art. I haven't felt this way about new U2 music for a long time. The fact this band can still move me 30+ years later like they did when I was a teenager is to me, phenomenal. I absolutely love this album, rooftop to the basement.

The Showman is really growing on me. Fun, a little silly, catchy chorus, and the loosest they've sounded on record since... I really don't know. Lacks that little element of calculation you can hear in Vertigo and Elevation.

I thought it was goofy, but I’ve only heard it once. You’re right, though, they hardly ever sound this loose. It’s one of many ways in which this album is so different from all the others.

The Showman is actually really good and I’m totally digging the lyrics.

Also there’s some sweet Joshua Tree vocal stuff by Bono happening towards the end of Book if the Heart.

I just gave the album a listen through headphones and the production is just killer.

The Showman is actually really good and I’m totally digging the lyrics.

Also there’s some sweet Joshua Tree vocal stuff by Bono happening towards the end of Book if the Heart.

I just gave the album a listen through headphones and the production is just killer.

We’ve been sitting with the album for over a week now, and I’m just enjoying it more. Agree the production is actually a highlight.

It’s nice to know that Andy Barlow seems to be a trusted member of the U2 camp with the live shows and production on this album. I hope he gets an expanded production role for the next album. I think he could nail it as a sole producer if he were given proper time with them in the studio over a year or so. I think he could do for them what they envisioned Danger Mouse could. I hope they take what they learned from Danger Mouse and employ Andy on an expanded role similar to his for the next effort.

We’ve been sitting with the album for over a week now, and I’m just enjoying it more. Agree the production is actually a highlight.
Love hearing this. I've had very few chances to actually sit quietly with the headphones on and really take it all in. Feel like I've got more goodies coming my way!

It’s nice to know that Andy Barlow seems to be a trusted member of the U2 camp with the live shows and production on this album. I hope he gets an expanded production role for the next album. I think he could nail it as a sole producer if he were given proper time with them in the studio over a year or so. I think he could do for them what they envisioned Danger Mouse could. I hope they take what they learned from Danger Mouse and employ Andy on an expanded role similar to his for the next effort.

I’d love to hear an album where Barlow and Declan Gaffney are joint producers in an Eno/Lanois style partnership.

Back
Top Bottom