Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me know what you think of the pressing. Looks like you have the ProJect table with Ortofon 2m blue cartridge. That’s what I used to have. Now rolling with the Audio Technica LP5 and AT VM540 cart.

The pressing is super quiet and has great dynamics. It was mastered very well.

what song do you guys think will be the next single? I prefer Red Flag Day or love is bigger than anything in its way.

I hope for Summer Of Love or Red Flag Day.

I absolutely adore summer of love, gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it at the minute . But it's December now and it's been 2 degree all day, freezing cold. Just don't think a song called summer of love should be released just yet. Maybe release it as the last single at the start of next summer. Might be to late by then though and there all singled out

Not even in the news today
So many drowned in the sea last night
But one word that the sea can't say
Is No

Outrageous. How is this not as poignant and as enraged as Sunday Bloody Sunday?

Last edited:
what song do you guys think will be the next single? I prefer Red Flag Day or love is bigger than anything in its way.

Great question! With Best Thing still rising on the Hot AC chart in America where it’s been in the top 20 for weeks now, that has seemed to delay the announcement of the “official” 2nd single. All signs still seem to point towards Get Out, which we know they’ve filmed a video for and have played in various appearances.

But, Red Flag Day and Love is Bigger would make great choices for future singles as well.

There’s definitely a sense of mortality/death throughout as corianderstem put so well in her review and death of innocence that crops up in Little Things and 13. I think seeing his children grow up, has really had an impact. I get the idea that he transferred his innocence to them and now they’ve lost or are losing that, he’s truly seen the last of that preciousness that was up until recently an ever-present facet of his life. 13 is a phenomenal closer. The album kind of finishes where it started – in the dark and alone. There’s a point about 1.50 around the bit where he sings ‘and all you’ve got is grieving’ and then wanders off ‘la da da da’ with the gentle piano that I found heart aching. It’s got flashes of that Irish/Scottish lament about it – deep melancholy, lonely and spiritual at the same time. This might just be the album’s crowning moment for me. I really think this is the best Bono has sounded in voice and lyrics in a long long time.

I absolutely think 13 is the best song on the album. And their best song in quite some time. It's a complete heartwrench. Wanting to hear a song and yet not somehow feel up to it is the best compliment an artist can be paid.

Wow. We are very similar.
I mentioned a few days ago that I started crying during red flag day, not from the lyrics but from the fact that it was so good. Sort of a release after the build up of waiting for the album

Cried to 13 and Landlady the last two days.
Deep album and hitting me hard

Red Flag Day brought me to tears first, then the album version of Little Things... Landlady,13, Lights of Home, Book of your heart... even Love is Bigger is special in a way. Showman is a very unusual U2 song, but I like it... because it is performed in this laid back way

The Showman is really growing on me. Fun, a little silly, catchy chorus, and the loosest they've sounded on record since... I really don't know. Lacks that little element of calculation you can hear in Vertigo and Elevation.

The Showman is really growing on me. Fun, a little silly, catchy chorus, and the loosest they've sounded on record since... I really don't know. Lacks that little element of calculation you can hear in Vertigo and Elevation.

I completely agree - this is the direction I hope U2 takes on their next album (assuming this is not their "good-bye" album).

I completely agree - this is the direction I hope U2 takes on their next album (assuming this is not their "good-bye" album).

Yup, strip away the generic typical 2000s U2 songs like "You're the Best Thing...," "Get Out of..." and "Love is Bigger" and you're left iwth some really good nuggets. Red Flag Day and The Showman, Summer of Love and American Soul... those don't feel extraordinarily unique or anything. But they feel like a good direction for U2.

Dafuq? No. POP is the best U2 album ever. Do not disgrace it like that.

I actually hear "Pop" in a few songs.

The one that jumps out the most is the end of LandLady I hear the guitar sound of North and South of the River.

Ironically enough, I also get a very UF feel too in the form of Promenade.

It might've been, if it was ever properly finished.

They eventually did do some remasters and they were better. But even still it's fantastic as-is-on-cd.

Such a good album.

I actually hear "Pop" in a few songs.

The one that jumps out the most is the end of LandLady I hear the guitar sound of North and South of the River.

N&SotR is not a Pop song technically but goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddamn what an amazing song.

I absolutely think 13 is the best song on the album. And their best song in quite some time. It's a complete heartwrench. Wanting to hear a song and yet not somehow feel up to it is the best compliment an artist can be paid.

Starting to agree with 13 being tops. Just listened to it again in the car and it floored me. Stunning closer.

Back
Top Bottom