Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I am rather a 90s U2 fan. Don‘t like much of post 2000 U2. But I really like Songs of Innocence.

So today I had my first two listens of Songs of Experience. I knew there would be some interesting songs to discover according to your reviews here.

OK what can I say as my first impression? I sobbed during a bunch of songs. Not necessarily out of sadness but I did not expect SOE to be that good. Light, airy and fluffy but so deep going at the same time.

For the moment I am in love with SOE

Last edited:
Hi guys, does Target have SOE in stores yet? Because I'm planning to get it today, but I'm not sure if the store closest to me has it yet.

Call your local store and ask, they're much more likely to know than we are on the internet. There's no reason they shouldn't have it as a major release.

Yeah because when the cd for the Joshua tree 30th anniversary was released, it was in stock two weeks later after the release. I want to se if I can get it today, and I cant call the store

Not sure if this has been discussed but has anyone watched the video on Apple Music called liner notes?

Fascinating video,voice over by Bono telling us what the songs mean

Listened to the album properly this morning, around 4am as I had woken and wasn't going back to sleep. So in a dark room, no senses to really distract. Just the music, and the thoughts and colors that would arise in my mind due to the music.

It's a great album. Even those songs we got before the release, while on their own they are OK (thought I like Best Thing), they really fit with the album.

And I get why they put them where they did, cause after American Soul, the album gets really heavy. Yes, Red Flag Day has a joyful bounce but the subject matter doesn't match.

The backside of this album is as depressing as their great albums. It's not as draining as Pop, but you still feel a sense of sadness, a sense of unknown. And like some great movies, you are left to ponder what's next after the final note is played.

I am looking forward to hearing these songs live

Say what you will about a few questionable lyrics and the re-use of the guitar riff but American Soul really rocks. The transition from Kendrick at the beginning to the hands in the air towards the end has me rocking the whole time. My wife’s first listen and she didn’t get to Summer of Love cause she had to go back and listen lol.

I like the bass in American Soul.

So I am rather a 90s U2 fan. Don‘t like much of post 2000 U2. But I really like Songs of Innocence.

So today I had my first two listens of Songs of Experience. I knew there would be some interesting songs to discover according to your reviews here.

OK what can I say as my first impression? I sobbed during a bunch of songs. Not necessarily out of sadness but I did not expect SOE to be that good. Light, airy and fluffy but so deep going at the same time.

I love this album....pleased to say its amazingly good...thank god! A few of the songs have bits where I think I`ve heard that before but cannot place it.

U2 is getting a lot of really good reviews today. Wow.

Yeah 100% it looked like the tide was turning yesterday when a few average to bad came out one after another. But there definitely in the minority now. Easily 80% really good 20% average/bad

Wow. We are very similar.
I mentioned a few days ago that I started crying during red flag day, not from the lyrics but from the fact that it was so good. Sort of a release after the build up of waiting for the album

Cried to 13 and Landlady the last two days.
Deep album and hitting me hard

5839E8DB-FD3E-47D9-9284-E93A4A480276.jpeg

B4B1D2C4-7799-4304-9B93-158AEAA201FA.jpeg

I’m quite pleased. Also my local record store opens at 11am now. Grumble grumble.

Wow. We are very similar.

I mentioned a few days ago that I started crying during red flag day, not from the lyrics but from the fact that it was so good. Sort of a release after the build up of waiting for the album

Cried to 13 and Landlady the last two days.

Deep album and hitting me hard

Honestly cried during little things and 13

I know it is supposed to be a fluffy, cut-and-paste mess, but Best Thing still gets me to smile. It isn't the best song on the album...by about 2/3rds. But the lyrics are awful heady for a throwaway pop song. I have the world, but my love doesn't care about that shit, and she is the best thing about me, but I can't stop chasing this shiny stardom, no matter how much I love her. That's pretty heady stuff...I like reading the verses more like a paragraph...

When you look so good, The pain in your face doesn’t show. When you look so good, and baby, you don’t even know. When the world is ours, but the world is not your kind of thing. Full of shooting stars, brighter as they’re vanishing

I been crying out, “ How bad can a good time be?” Shooting off my mouth, that’s another great thing about me. I have everything, but I feel like nothing at all. There’s no risky thing for a man who’s determined to fall.

I know it is supposed to be a fluffy, cut-and-paste mess, but Best Thing still gets me to smile. It isn't the best song on the album...by about 2/3rds. But the lyrics are awful heady for a throwaway pop song. I have the world, but my love doesn't care about that shit, and she is the best thing about me, but I can't stop chasing this shiny stardom, no matter how much I love her. That's pretty heady stuff...I like reading the verses more like a paragraph...

When you look so good, The pain in your face doesn’t show. When you look so good, and baby, you don’t even know. When the world is ours, but the world is not your kind of thing. Full of shooting stars, brighter as they’re vanishing

I been crying out, “ How bad can a good time be?” Shooting off my mouth, that’s another great thing about me. I have everything, but I feel like nothing at all. There’s no risky thing for a man who’s determined to fall.

TBT is still in my top half. I think it's much, much better than people give it credit for.

I’ve always liked the Best Thing. Great bass, good lyrics, and an awesome bridge by The Edge. Testament to the album’s strength that it is still not top 5 or 6 for me.

Right now I am floored by the beauty of 13.

And The Blackout’s thunderous groove is creeping back up for me after falling off for a little bit.

5839E8DB-FD3E-47D9-9284-E93A4A480276.jpeg

B4B1D2C4-7799-4304-9B93-158AEAA201FA.jpeg

I’m quite pleased. Also my local record store opens at 11am now. Grumble grumble.

Let me know what you think of the pressing. Looks like you have the ProJect table with Ortofon 2m blue cartridge. That’s what I used to have. Now rolling with the Audio Technica LP5 and AT VM540 cart.

Fun to watch which songs from the album are most popular on iTunes today. Here’s their current order:

1- Best Thing

2- Get Out

3- Little Things

4- Red Flag Day

5- Summer of Love

6- Love is Bigger

7- 13

8 - Lights of Home

9 - American Soul

10- Ordinary Love (extraordinary mix)

11 - Blackout

12 - Lights of Home (strings)

13 - Love is all we have left

14 - Book of Your Heart

15 - Landlady

I do not see the Showman in the Top 200 rock songs.

Back
Top Bottom