Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have the context to whatever this chat is about, was only pointing out OL is an alternate mix on the deluxe album here.

Wow, that is awful news.

As an aside, was just about to post that currently reading the SOE liner notes - starting to suspect that Bono's brush with mortality might have been a mental health issue. It sounds possible.

How do you figure that? How would a mental health issue be life-threatening? Now a brush with mortality leading to mental health issues, as in anxiety or depression — that I can see. Bono has pretty much admitted (and the lyrics of LOH allude to this) that he had a crisis of faith.

How do you figure that? How would a mental health issue be life-threatening? Now a brush with mortality leading to mental health issues, as in anxiety or depression — that I can see. Bono has pretty much admitted (and the lyrics of LOH allude to this) that he had a crisis of faith.
You really can't see how depression could lead to a life threatening situation?

You really can't see how depression could lead to a life threatening situation?

I remember an interview Bono did not long after Michael Hutchence died, and he talked about how the two of them had made a pact that if either one found they were sinking too deep, they'd get in touch and ask for help. And Bono was talking about whatever mindstate his mate was in that, in that moment, he wasn't able to pick up the phone and call him.

So it doesn't seem too big a stretch that Bono has or does suffer from depression. And it's certainly no stretch at all to say depression can very quickly lead to life threatening situations.

No idea what the true story is, but this read of it certainly makes sense in a lot of the lyrics.

In the Howard Stern interview, he brings up the fact that if he shared what he went through, people back home would be like "Toughen up ya wim" (That's me paraphrasing Bono).

I think he went through some form of the following:

Substance overdose, maybe he went on a bender to end all benders.
Panic Attack / Heart Attack

He mentioned in an interview when asked about the topic that he doesn’t like to talk about it because it’s something not really talked about/accepted where he comes from.

I’m thinking depression or addiction to pain killers that may led him to have an accidental overdose.

I’m only speculating based on the subject matter of he songs and interviews both what has been said and what has not.

Let’s say for instance that he had a heart attack or some other “physical” condition - he’s more likely to tell us what that is. Reading the liner notes and listening to interviews my suspicion is a mental health issue (which can be life threatening) or pain killer addiction.

I could be wrong of course.

It also must have been something relatively easily "solved," considering it happened November/December, and they were announcing the JT tour in January or thereabouts.

Not to say that it's not something he is still dealing with/managing, but considering how serious it seems to have been, it also seems to have been taken care of fairly quickly.

Good ol' Bono. I just want to give him a big hug after hearing the album.

I remember an interview Bono did not long after Michael Hutchence died, and he talked about how the two of them had made a pact that if either one found they were sinking too deep, they'd get in touch and ask for help. And Bono was talking about whatever mindstate his mate was in that, in that moment, he wasn't able to pick up the phone and call him.

So it doesn't seem too big a stretch that Bono has or does suffer from depression. And it's certainly no stretch at all to say depression can very quickly lead to life threatening situations.

No idea what the true story is, but this read of it certainly makes sense in a lot of the lyrics.

I do see that depression could lead to suicide. But I didn’t see it as a possibility in Bono’s case given what he’s said with relation to M. Hutchence and some of his other remarks about his brush with mortality. What I’ve heard him say in relation to Hutchence is that he understands depression but never reached the suicide point due to everything he has in his life. But I hadn’t heard about the pact with Hutchence, which indicates he could imagine himself maybe reaching that point. And I guess he has said he thought about suicide back when he was a teen, right after his mother died. However, in the Times interview, he sounds like he’s upset with God for nearly taking him out of the picture when he didn’t want to go. And he says his faith went out of reach, but came back when he admitted he was afraid of death. That doesn’t sound like a suicide attempt. It’s about 10 or 11 paragraphs down. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...taxes-new-album-songs-of-experience-hsf7sf25k

He mentioned in an interview when asked about the topic that he doesn’t like to talk about it because it’s something not really talked about/accepted where he comes from.

I’m thinking depression or addiction to pain killers that may led him to have an accidental overdose.

I’m only speculating based on the subject matter of he songs and interviews both what has been said and what has not.

Doubt it, two reasons: Adam is a very active voice for an organization that speaks to the exact opposite of this, so I think the macho Irish don’t talk about this thing would be odd. Secondly if it were addiction, he would have an absolutely shitty support system if they allowed him to go back on tour that quickly and still drink(Noel’s stories), and I don’t believe he has a shitty support system.

It also must have been something relatively easily "solved," considering it happened November/December, and they were announcing the JT tour in January or thereabouts.

Yeah, the time line speaks more to a non-health related issue(mental and physical) or more of a potential scare(tests revealed possible tumor but it turned out okay.

Assuming it happened somewhere between August and September as it was given as a reason to delay the album(I think I read that) yet on 9/24 they played the iHeartRadio concert. If it were a heart attack....0% they play that show. I will also say if it were depression or a mental issue that was serious enough to threaten his life....0% chance they play that show(you need to focus on you and nothing else...that’s common sense). It could have been an accidental overdose of pain killers or a tumor that they though might be cancer.

In the end, thankfully he is okay as that is all that really matters. He is okay and sounds great in the album!

I recently had a family that was diagnosed with cancer, by two doctors, went for further tests and finally discovered it was something chronic but manageable. They already started going through the process of telling loved ones. They will have this the rest of their lives but it won’t shorten their life as quickly as cancer.

So there’s a lot different scenarios.

I will also say if it were depression or a mental issue that was serious enough to threaten his life....0% chance they play that show(you need to focus on you and nothing else...that’s common sense).

The thing with mental health problems is that most people don't acknowledge them until there's an incident.

Chris Cornell performed the same night he killed himself.

Not saying it definitely was a serious mental heth issue, only saying that timelines don't apply.

Not to say that it's not something he is still dealing with/managing, but considering how serious it seems to have been, it also seems to have been taken care of fairly quickly.

Good ol' Bono. I just want to give him a big hug after hearing the album.

This makes me think it was definitely heart related

My Dad is what you would call a 'lapsed U2 fan' and isn't familiar with much of their post-Achtung Baby work at all. As a Christmas gift I thought I would make a compressed 'Songs of Innocence and Experience' album for him, combining what I consider to be the highlights of the two albums. Having listened to this playlist last night, I can only say that I think it works and flows really well. In fact, if this had been the album they had released, it would perhaps be up there with AB and TJT as their finest work.

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Cedarwood Road
3. The Crystal Ballroom
4. The Showman
5. Lights of Home
6. Raised by Wolves
7. Summer of Love
8. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
9. The Blackout
10. The Little Things That Give You Away
11. The Troubles

Back