Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They can make an album on any budget imaginable, regardless of its potential revenue. And even if they decided to never tour again.

I don't understand the question.
You mean they could spend more than they expect to earn back on it, because they're loaded?
Sure they could. But would they?

Yeah, this.

They aren't exactly aging gracefully. They've tried to hold onto "relevancy" for too long, instead of just making the music they want to make. I think Edge even said in the Howard Stern interview that he loves making music and he does it all the time, but he's not sure anyone else would find it interesting, so when they record an album they just try to give people what they expect from U2. Edge and Bono say things like this all the time. "No one needs a new U2 album, so the new one had better be the best U2 product ever. That's why it took five years to make."

So if no one needs a new U2 album, why don't they just write and record whatever music they damn well please? Give us something different and fresh. I mean, I'd love to hear the music Edge makes for fun, when he's not thinking about writing hits. Geez. Haven't they earned that, at this point in their career? They've got nothing to prove anymore. Okay, they reapplied for the job of biggest band in the world. And surprisingly, they got it. But no one lasts in that job, no matter how hard they try. And I still want to hear that Eno/Lanois Morocco album.

Yea, I don't get why they are so stuck on "relevancy," whatever that means. They don't need the money, they have enough music to tour on , so making something weird won't really hurt them at this point.

On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with them making some more "typical" U2 music.

Do you have more hair in your ears than on your head? Then you might be old.

Do you fall asleep while typing on your iPhone while in bedoifiehbrhdidjjdsjdjiddk

Sorry, I fell asleep while typing

I just got reading glasses.

If I wasn't An Old before, I sure the fuck am now.

Crap... Tonight I had to get my second pair of reading glasses and had to go from 1.5 to 1.75... You all say what's the difference of .25? I'm we into the Olds :|

This may have been posted elsewhere but in case it hasn't been...

Adam has become an excellent speaker - much more articulate thoughts then the old days, or maybe he was just drown out by Bono before :)

My absolute dream for the (a) next album would be for them to, as has been suggested before, hole up in a studio for 6-12 months and turn something out without caring about providing a 'hit single' or appealing to the masses.

Obviously it would be great if they collaborated with the dream team of Eno & Lanois again, but as a wild card choice, I would die with happiness if they enlisted Trent Reznor as producer. Just imagine the kind of album that might end up like....

(Not entirely beyond the realms of possibility either, since Reznor did remix 'Vertigo' and do an amazing version of 'Zoo Station' for a tribute album a few years ago.)

I haven't seen it the last 3 days I've went to my closest Target. I've only seen one copy at the other Target.

One Target and one Best Buy I stopped at didn't have the album either. The second Target had plenty though, so I ended up getting my deluxe version there.

If any song is overproduced on SOE, it's Love is Bigger. Too many layers. Sounds very muddled at times.

Agree completely. A week in, I still really like this album. But I do have two cosmetic fixes already that I know improve this, at least to me. One is replacing that song with "Book of Your Heart". The other is swapping the Kygo mix for the album mix of TBT. Those two fixes make this a different album, like a weird hybrid of AB, Pop, and ATYCLB, in a good way. So far, LIBTAIIW is the dud for me. Just saccharine and dull, even more than American Soul. Again, nothing is as abhorrently obvious as a standout clunker as on other albums, but that song ain't doing it for me.

Hi Axver. I'm a lurker...but I saw you didnt think much of the new album initially. Do you love it yet? Just curious.

I am friends with a U2 tribute, they are all 80's/90's fans only, and I'm telling them to put the headphones on, not worry about which era it sounds like, and take it in for what it is. Waiting to see if it works for them.

I'm still pretty lukewarm on it to be honest. I've no real compulsion to go back to it, and that's the kicker. I don't have a viscerally negative reaction, so long as I don't think too much about Bono. But I'm also not stirred to excitement either. So it's better than ATYCLB or NLOTH, but even SOI pulled me in more. On the other hand that might have been because it dropped so suddenly rather than having a couple of months with some shit singles to lower my enthusiasm.

I find I haven't been going into the various individual song threads because most of them I just don't feel strongly enough about to either praise or condemn.

Ax's love for new U2 albums peaked with Boy.

Now that I think Boy might overtake UF as my top U2 album, this is correct!

The only way for U2 to get the youngin's is to stop being so try hard.

Just 10 years ago, people made fun of me for liking Bruce Springsteen. Now he's an elder statesman of rawk, and universally respected.

U2 can only hope for respect at this point. People aren't going to care about their new music. I think Summer of Love, with its Ed Shreen-eque sound, is their best chance. TBT could have been too (and I think its a bigger success than the charts indicate, I hear it everywhere), as its kind of retro and poppy and fun. As for the rest of the rawk tracks, it's not going to happen. There's no appetite for traditional rock music.

Good point about the Springsteen comparison. I've mentioned Neil Finn before in a similar context. It used to be very uncool and daggy to like him, say late nineties. But gradually over the 2000s a lot of people really came back around; he wrote so many classics of the Aussie/Kiwi songbook that every youngun grew up on. This culminated in him playing Meredith, probably the coolest and trendiest festival—I was a bit nervous how he might go down, but that set has entered Meredith folklore as one of the greatest of all time. So last year when a Crowded House concert was broadcast live from the Sydney Opera House (yours truly all too visible in the front row), it was basically a National Event with every age group in on it. The guy is now the cool dad of Aussie and Kiwi music. I can't see Bono ever being the cool dad, or even granddad, of Irish music. Maybe Edge or Adam would have a chance on their own, but probably not.

4- avoid getting banned from certain malls in Alabama while on the prowl for Youngs.

5 - get elected to senate!

6 - PROFIT.

:lmao:

I just got reading glasses.

If I wasn't An Old before, I sure the fuck am now.

Does this mean I was an old at age 11? :(

I'm still pretty lukewarm on it to be honest. I've no real compulsion to go back to it, and that's the kicker. I don't have a viscerally negative reaction, so long as I don't think too much about Bono. But I'm also not stirred to excitement either. So it's better than ATYCLB or NLOTH, but even SOI pulled me in more. On the other hand that might have been because it dropped so suddenly rather than having a couple of months with some shit singles to lower my enthusiasm.

I find I haven't been going into the various individual song threads because most of them I just don't feel strongly enough about to either praise or condemn.

Now that I think Boy might overtake UF as my top U2 album, this is correct!

Good point about the Springsteen comparison. I've mentioned Neil Finn before in a similar context. It used to be very uncool and daggy to like him, say late nineties. But gradually over the 2000s a lot of people really came back around; he wrote so many classics of the Aussie/Kiwi songbook that every youngun grew up on. This culminated in him playing Meredith, probably the coolest and trendiest festival—I was a bit nervous how he might go down, but that set has entered Meredith folklore as one of the greatest of all time. So last year when a Crowded House concert was broadcast live from the Sydney Opera House (yours truly all too visible in the front row), it was basically a National Event with every age group in on it. The guy is now the cool dad of Aussie and Kiwi music. I can't see Bono ever being the cool dad, or even granddad, of Irish music. Maybe Edge or Adam would have a chance on their own, but probably not.

:lmao:

Does this mean I was an old at age 11? :(

I love this. All of it. This is Interference in a nutshell.

The promotion for this album has been pretty strange imo one full band appearance? (Not counting emas as the album wasn't even mentioned through the awards)

Charts Analysis: Sam Smith surges to albums summit

by Alan Jones

Leadership of the album chart changes hands for the 15th week in a row – but instead of heralding U2's 11th No.1 album with Songs Of Experience, as most would have expected, we are instead welcoming back Sam Smith's The Thrill Of It All, which debuted in pole position four weeks ago, and returns to the summit with sales up 35.00% week-on-week at 58,299 (including 4,974 from sales-equivalent streams).

Five weeks into its chart career, The Thrill Of It All has never been out of the top two, and has sold 290,292 copies – enough for it to already rank as the year's sixth biggest-selling artist album. Smith's 2014 debut, In The Lonely Hour – which opened its account with 69 straight weeks in the Top 10 – bounces 44-37 this week, with sales of 5,748 copies raising its cumulative tally to 2,381,034, eclipsing Take That's Progress to become the fifth biggest-selling album of the 2010s.

U2's 14th studio album, Songs Of Experience posted a lead of 14,000 sales on the first of the week's sales flashes but that advantage was quickly eroded, and with many of its rivals apparently boosted by Christmas gift-buying, it eventually debuted at No.5 on sales of 40,669 copies. U2 last topped the chart in 2009, when No Line On The Horizon debuted at the summit on sales of 157,928 but missed out with 2014 follow-up Songs Of Innocence, which debuted and peaked at No.6 on sales of just 15,998 copies, having been available for more than a month as a free download from iTunes before being released physically and in expanded download form. Their best ever first week sale – and the highest by any album to that point – came in 1988 when their sixth studio album, Rattle And Hum raced to a first-week sale in excess of 360,000.

40k sales 18k from the top

Back
Top Bottom