Songs of Ascent V - The Final Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN 100% PERCENT SERIOUSLY. MAYBE 50%

I think Edge is out of ideas, that's my theory. He's insecure about his skills and doubts himself as an artist, and everytime he jams in the studio it either sounds like a crappy rock song (Vertigo) or a chiming by the numbers riff (Walk On), and frankly it's embarrassing the shit out of him, especially in front of Eno and Lanois, who without them, Edge may have not have had a single song idea during the recording of NLOTH, except of course for SUC (which was originally titled 'tuning up with jimmy page and that dude from white stripes'). That's why he's pushing for old fashioned songwriting, because he can fall back on old tricks behind the scenes and let Bono do half the work. But all Bono's got going for him is the 2 finger piano bullshit. So what am i trying to say? That Larry and Adam need to start writing songs. Or at least have Eno and Lanois ghostwrite everything.

And what the fuck was that Gannet shit???

And who gives a fuck about Spiderman?

Have u2 ever even heard their own album Achtung Baby? Or was their copy comprised of 12 "Sweetest Thing" remixes? Enough with the lame crap already.

And Bono, everybody hates you anyway. So fuck 'em all. You might as well stop trying to win over the entire world.

Edge, grow your fucking hair out. I'm sick of looking at that damn skull cap. And you look ridiculous wearing that while rocking out to the 63rd version of the "walk on" riff.

No, but really.....totally psyched about the future!!!!!!!!!!

I think Edge is out of ideas, that's my theory. He's insecure about his skills and doubts himself as an artist, and everytime he jams in the studio it either sounds like a crappy rock song (Vertigo) or a chiming by the numbers riff (Walk On), and frankly it's embarrassing the shit out of him, especially in front of Eno and Lanois, who without them, Edge may have not have had a single song idea during the recording of NLOTH, except of course for SUC (which was originally titled 'tuning up with jimmy page and that dude from white stripes'). That's why he's pushing for old fashioned songwriting, because he can fall back on old tricks behind the scenes and let Bono do half the work. But all Bono's got going for him is the 2 finger piano bullshit. So what am i trying to say? That Larry and Adam need to start writing songs. Or at least have Eno and Lanois ghostwrite everything.

Have u2 ever even heard their own album Achtung Baby? Or was their copy comprised of 12 "Sweetest Thing" remixes? Enough with the lame crap already.

And Bono, everybody hates you anyway. So fuck 'em all. You might as well stop trying to win over the entire world.

Edge, grow your fucking hair out. I'm sick of looking at that damn skull cap. And you look ridiculous wearing that while rocking out to the 63rd version of the "walk on" riff.

i like walk on

Don't be hard on Ozeeko. He's just coming to the realization that this isn't the band for him anymore.

Don't be hard on Ozeeko. He's just coming to the realization that this isn't the band for him anymore.

Sad to say it's getting to that point. But what you gonna do? If they release something great, then i'll be thrilled of course. It's just de ja vu all the time with this band tho. It's comical actually. Record gets released after 4 years, Bono immediately starts talking up next album, the band seems to be all into it, they say "we're playing better than we've ever played before", fans get excited and eagerly await the good news, then something happens, they step back away from the recorded music, they go into full overanalyzation mode, change direction, delay project, replace producer, etc. etc. etc. until there it is, the album is released 4 years later.

Would love it if they did things differently this time, but already im starting to see the same old tired plot and script unfold.

Now, i don't eat drink sleep U2 like i did in the 90's. I wouldn't say i'm losing interest in the band. Interest isn't the right word. It's more like losing faith, or confidence, in their ability to release great music. They can still do it sometimes, but they get too hung up on how their music is received.

They've recorded MOS, the best song of theirs this decade IMO. It was something that wasn't worked to death. It was something natural. It was a capturing of a moment and letting it stay that way. In the moment. That's the direction they have to take. Will they take that direction? I hope. It might be the only way they could keep me around. Because if going back to old fashioned songwriting means the overworked overcooked safe route, then chances are i won't be sticking around too much longer. (and no i'm not going to commit suicide, if anyone thought that's what i was getting at)

I don't think Edge is balding by choice.

I wasn't really being serious about that stuff. But i guess it sounded like i was. But it was more like a follow up comment about Edge's recycling of ideas, so i was also calling him out on his look, which u gotta admit, it really could use a change! I mean at least Bono used eyeliner!:wink: But you're right, he obviously cannot grow hair all by himself. My bad.

So let me get this straight, we've gone form a thread about the new album to basically the band has given up, ran out of ideas, they aren't going to release shit except some safe overproduced crap, Edge needs an enema and some rogaine, Bono needs to tell us all that the next album "is crap" instead of constantly talking it up, McGuinness is a liar, larry is a cold hearted control freak, and Adam is MIA.

Hopefully the world is still round. NFC EAST CHAMPIONS YEAHHHHHhhhhh!
Seriously Interference, mi lyfe wood suck w/o you

:heart::heart::hug::hug::sexywink::sexywink::wink::wink::wave::cute::drool::love:

So let me get this straight, we've gone form a thread about the new album to basically the band has given up, ran out of ideas, they aren't going to release shit except some safe overproduced crap, Edge needs an enema and some rogaine, Bono needs to tell us all that the next album "is crap" instead of constantly talking it up, McGuinness is a liar, larry is a cold hearted control freak, and Adam is MIA.

Hopefully the world is still round. NFC EAST CHAMPIONS YEAHHHHHhhhhh!
Seriously Interference, mi lyfe wood suck w/o you

:heart::heart::hug::hug::sexywink::sexywink::wink::wink::wave::cute::drool::love:

Isn't that pretty much the life of every thread?

I want SOA dammit. People are saying that we should remain happy if they don't release it by June this year, but there IS a difference when they PROMISE to release a new album by June!

If U2 don't want to dissapoint fans by not releasing a new album, then they should have just not mentioned it.

Seeing as they HAVE mentioned it, I am gonna give it the benefit of the doubt and remain optimistic

Some article, don't ask for a link as I've no idea where, but I heard that they promised to get a new album out by june '10

Sad to say it's getting to that point. But what you gonna do? If they release something great, then i'll be thrilled of course. It's just de ja vu all the time with this band tho. It's comical actually. Record gets released after 4 years, Bono immediately starts talking up next album, the band seems to be all into it, they say "we're playing better than we've ever played before", fans get excited and eagerly await the good news, then something happens, they step back away from the recorded music, they go into full overanalyzation mode, change direction, delay project, replace producer, etc. etc. etc. until there it is, the album is released 4 years later.

Would love it if they did things differently this time, but already im starting to see the same old tired plot and script unfold.

Now, i don't eat drink sleep U2 like i did in the 90's. I wouldn't say i'm losing interest in the band. Interest isn't the right word. It's more like losing faith, or confidence, in their ability to release great music. They can still do it sometimes, but they get too hung up on how their music is received.

They've recorded MOS, the best song of theirs this decade IMO. It was something that wasn't worked to death. It was something natural. It was a capturing of a moment and letting it stay that way. In the moment. That's the direction they have to take. Will they take that direction? I hope. It might be the only way they could keep me around. Because if going back to old fashioned songwriting means the overworked overcooked safe route, then chances are i won't be sticking around too much longer. (and no i'm not going to commit suicide, if anyone thought that's what i was getting at)

People move on from bands/authors/artists all the time. Doesn't mean that their work sucks, it simply means that your tastes and their artistic vision no longer gel. I've gone through this with lots of bands. I don't hang out in their forums reliving what I perceive to be their glory days, and putting down their current material, though. Maybe it is time for you to move on. In the future, if they happen to do something that connects with you, then maybe it can be a pleasant surprise, rather than a bitter disappointment when they don't.

I know it's gonna sound silly because me and Ozeeko aren't best friends but I have to admit that fully agree with this comment. This is pretty much what I feel about the band (or Company) these days and why we shouldn't be so excited with some quotes about a new releasement.

Anyway, the 2010 tour is already sold out. U2 can tour if they want to with no new album and remain with their setlist with some NLOTH/new songs, some bones for the diehards and the rest with the jukebox performances of the biggest hits as usual. People will leave happy anyway.

But I definitely get the feeling that Bono and Edge wouldn't leave happy, sure they worry about their reception obsessively, but they love to push the envelope, that's been the divide that kept the last decade down a little bit.

Kingdom and the positive buzz around Every Breaking Wave gives me hope, but I understand your frustration.
In February 2009 U2 we saying that SOA was a done deal and would be realeased late 2009/ early 2010. So there is an album there that is ready to go.
Rumours in December 2009 were that the band have written 2 or 3 new 'singles', to address the so called commercial 'failings' of the NLOTH singles.
I think we will get SOA in some form in the summer with the best of the newer 'singles' songs attached.

People move on from bands/authors/artists all the time. Doesn't mean that their work sucks, it simply means that your tastes and their artistic vision no longer gel. I've gone through this with lots of bands. I don't hang out in their forums reliving what I perceive to be their glory days, and putting down their current material, though. Maybe it is time for you to move on. In the future, if they happen to do something that connects with you, then maybe it can be a pleasant surprise, rather than a bitter disappointment when they don't.

:up:

Well the ones you come into, yeah...:shrug:

I'd say it's more like half the ones i come into. :D

But what's funny is everytime i see that you've made a post, my first thought is, "oh, i wonder what member he's calling out this time."

this dis was hilarious

So we can expect to hear new U2 songs at Glastonbury.

Glastonbury is going to be fun. I’ve never been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom