Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did everyone already dismiss Alan Cross' June 1st speculation from yesterday as an April Fool's joke?
I seem to remember that someone from on here got in touch with Cross via Twitter to see if he could find out some more about the release?

Then again, this seems like he wrote it a couple of days ago since he does not mention the fact that the Rose Bowl DVD has as a matter of fact been officially announced for June 3rd.

No, I dismissed it as him rehashing a bunch of rumors that made the rounds here days ago. Nothing in that article sounded like a "scoop" or insider knowledge. As you say, not even up to date on the Rose Bowl DVD announcement.

Yeah, I think he basically has outdated information, and is going on rumours just like we are.

so basically the band just took 7 months off of their biggest tour ever for....nothing?

It's been said before, but I believe it: The band isn't interested in long stretches on the road anymore; they want to limit time away from their families (heck, most of the time, they don't even stay overnight in the city they're playing it - they either fly back home [if in Europe] or fly back to a central location where their family members can stay for awhile). And they want time to work on projects other than U2 (esp. Bono). And considering it is a stadium tour, touring only during the warm weather makes sense (and yes, I know they could have gone to S.A. or South Pacific over this past winter - I don't know why they didn't....)

Yeah, Cross is just going off of rumors. He sent me a direct message (not an @) that says "not confirmed yet but could happen. That's the big rumour."

It's been said before, but I believe it: The band isn't interested in long stretches on the road anymore; they want to limit time away from their families (heck, most of the time, they don't even stay overnight in the city they're playing it - they either fly back home [if in Europe] or fly back to a central location where their family members can stay for awhile). And they want time to work on projects other than U2 (esp. Bono). And considering it is a stadium tour, touring only during the warm weather makes sense (and yes, I know they could have gone to S.A. or South Pacific over this past winter - I don't know why they didn't....)

They stayed in most cities in Europe last year, even sometimes just for one night. I don't know about the US, though. While I think they still love and enjoy performing, I guess touring gets more stressful when you get older.

I think it sounded like a dream concept. And an amazing one considering where U2 are mostly at these days. It does now seem like it was too much of a dream. When I originally read that quote above, where Edge says that they've veered from the abstract back to "old fashioned songwriting", that was the nail in the coffin for me. All SoA excitement disappeared, replaced, unfortunately, by Rick Rubin produced All My Life style bombastic dread.

I keep seeing quick references to Rick Rubin produced All my life. Can anyone elaborate on this? Much appreciated.

I keep seeing quick references to Rick Rubin produced All my life. Can anyone elaborate on this? Much appreciated.

Rick Rubin worked with U2 for sessions in 2006, between legs four and five of the Vertigo Tour. The sessions were in the South of France and Abbey Road Studios. They produced WITS, Saints, and three other songs that were recorded by a person with a handheld audio recorded as Bono blasted the demos out of his house in France. The clips were named 401-404, after their file names on the recorded. 401 was a demo of WITS. 402 is a rocky tune with a guitar riff very similar to Dirty Day's known as "Boy Falls From The Sky". It will be in Spider Man. 403... I honestly can't remember 403 right now, and I don't think we ever named it. It was ballad-y, I think. 404 is known as "All My Life". It's best known for its "Bon Jovi-esque" chorus.

If you don't know about Rubin... look him up on Wikipedia. I won't explain, because I really don't like him, and any explanation would come out tainted.

Rick Rubin worked with U2 for sessions in 2006, between legs four and five of the Vertigo Tour. The sessions were in the South of France and Abbey Road Studios. They produced WITS, Saints, and three other songs that were recorded by a person with a handheld audio recorded as Bono blasted the demos out of his house in France. The clips were named 401-404, after their file names on the recorded. 401 was a demo of WITS. 402 is a rocky tune with a guitar riff very similar to Dirty Day's known as "Boy Falls From The Sky". It will be in Spider Man. 403... I honestly can't remember 403 right now, and I don't think we ever named it. It was ballad-y, I think. 404 is known as "All My Life". It's best known for its "Bon Jovi-esque" chorus.

If you don't know about Rubin... look him up on Wikipedia. I won't explain, because I really don't like him, and any explanation would come out tainted.

I think 403 was the "Thank You For the Day" one.

Thanks Man!

Right, 403 was dubbed Thank You. There was basically only piano and Bono's vocal. IMO I always thought that one had Spider-man written all over it, but then was that not the one that was learned to be a Danny Lanois song (or at least performed by him) later on? Or am I mixing it up with another?

Right, 403 was dubbed Thank You. There was basically only piano and Bono's vocal. IMO I always thought that one had Spider-man written all over it, but then was that not the one that was learned to be a Danny Lanois song (or at least performed by him) later on? Or am I mixing it up with another?

No you're not mixing it up. Actually from what I've read Thank You For The Day started out as a collaboration between Lanois and Bono. Danny has performed his version, called simply "Thank You" on a couple of occassions.

Instrumental Pedal Steel Version:
YouTube - Daniel Lanois - Thank You

Version with some vocals and backup singers
YouTube - Daniel Lanois - Thank You

Then there's a third version, basically an acoustic take on the latter one which Daniel performed on the Wall To Wall Guitar Festival in 2005 or 2006. This links suggests it was in 2005:
Thank You (Daniel Lanois)

What is interesting is that the beach clip version that was leaked sounds nothing like Lanois version, they just share "Thank You" in their titles. The song remains officially unreleased by both artists though and the last time we saw the title was when it appeared on Brian Eno's whiteboard in Fez in 2007, as documented in the book that was included in some deluxe edition of No Line On The Horizon:
u2boardsmall.jpg

Furthermore, it has a melodic part that was transferred to the break section in the studio version of I'll Go Crazy If I Don't go Crazy Tonight (Baby, baby, baby, I know I'm not alone)

Thanks for that! :up:

So then... I suppose there is still the chance that my theory that Bono's vocal version could end up in Spider-man is possible. :shifty:

I was in NYC yesterday and spoke to an inside source very close to the band. He gave me this tidbit of information on the new album. An official announcement is coming within the next week! First single is Into Your Love which will be released to radio by the end of the month.

Songs of Ascent due out June 1, 2010

Tracklisting:
1. All My Life
2. Pretty Greatful
3. Rock (Hard As)
4. Into Your Love (Formally Every Breaking Wave)
5. Loving You
6. For The Day (Thank You)
7. Only One
8. On Time
9. Life
10.Sun, The Moon, The Stars

You'll have to forgive us if we greet this very-detailed information with a healthy dose of skepticism. :)

At least this rumor is also easily testable... we only have to wait a week.

Wait... Rock (Hard As)? :lol:

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Thanks for that! :up:

So then... I suppose there is still the chance that my theory that Bono's vocal version could end up in Spider-man is possible. :shifty:

Actually, it sounded more in the vein of Songs of Ascent material to me. The lyrics from what I could hear sounded like a spiritual man talking to his maker and later on, his lover. It is kind of like a prayer almost I guess you could say.

Here is my updated take on the lyrics, with a fair bit of guessing of course.

Thank You For The Day (2006 Beach Clip Version, 04:15 min)

[Verse 1] (00:24 - 00:47)
Thank you for these unanswered questions
Thank you for a man with new directions
Thank you for the day
And finding peace you know what thou art, the reflection

[Verse 2] (00:49 - 01:10)
Thank you for skies, those blue eyes
Thank you, for those hearts were, in time
Thank you for rain, that you are part of me
And I know you will be mine

[Prechorus 1] (01:12 - 01:22)
Now, we don't know
Then, will we know?

[Chorus 1] (01:22 - 01:51)
But in the night, we shall be gone
I'm on the bed, I know we hide
And in the night, We saw the sun
Thank you for the day, Oh oh ohoh

[Verse 3] (01:51 - 02:14)
Thank you for this earth and thank them, trees
Thank you for our love, that care you breach
Thank you for every heart that breaks
I know this brought me to my knees

[Prechorus 2] (02:18 - 02:25)
When will we know?
As it shall be known

[Chorus 2] (02:27 - 02:55)
But in the night, we shall be gone
I'm on the bed, I know we hide
And in the night, we saw the sun

[Instrumental middle-8] (02:57 - 03:18)
Ah, yeah, yeah, yeah... mmm

[Extended Chorus] (03:19 - 04:09)
But in the night, we shall be known
And through the day, that is overrun (over us?)
And through the night, we lose control
And in the dark, we love alone

And through the night, we love so cold
And through the days, oh long enough
In the night, we love the dark
And in the day, I'm holding on

I was in NYC yesterday and spoke to an inside source very close to the band. He gave me this tidbit of information on the new album. An official announcement is coming within the next week! First single is Into Your Love which will be released to radio by the end of the month.

Tracklisting:
1. All My Life
2. Pretty Greatful
3. Rock (Hard As)
5. Loving You
7. Only One
8. On Time
9. Life

From this it looks like u run out of ideas for song titles towards the end of the album as they get shorter! What happened to the album closer "If" or "A"!:wink:

Tracklisting:
1. All My Life
2. Pretty Greatful
3. Rock (Hard As)
5. Loving You
7. Only One
8. On Time
9. Life

I'll believe it when I see it but frankly given the history of people claiming that announcements will be made (and nothing happens) yadiyadi yada I am taking this with a planet sized grain of salt!

seriously...these song titles are lame-ass ..."thank you for the pretty greatful day into your love...." wtf?

Pretty Greatful = Bono has lost his marbles

I close source of the band that I met and talked to told me that the second single will be pretty greatful and would include a b-side called "Stop (The Poverty)" Trust me there will be an anouncement on monday about both singles!!

I decided "Pretty Grateful" had to be a typo and then realized that "Pretty Grateful" was an horrible title too.
:sad:

I can't tell. It's not.

I would think it were plausible except for "Pretty Greatful"

i guess im just looking at it from a perspective that those 3 stages cost a lot of money to just sit in a warehouse somewhere while the band takes a non creative holiday.

It would make more sense to release something to go with the next phase of the tour, but who knows really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom