Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed that u2.com posted anything. With regard to Edge's quote, I guess that means Bullet and Pride are coming back. :|

I'm impressed that u2.com posted anything. With regard to Edge's quote, I guess that means Bullet and Pride are coming back. :|

Isn't that the exact same old quote from Rolling Stone magazine in November 2009, though?

Because of the You Tube broadcast, I can't imagine we'd come back with the exact same show," says the Edge. "We'll want to develop and adapt it. The next time people see us, there will be new things to show.
Source: U2 Feedback - View Single Post - Songs of Ascent - Part IV
Perhaps he just likes to repeat himself?

I'm confused. McCockne$$ says album before end of year, but also releasing "some of that material on record earlier"? Like what? A single? An EP?

Doesn't really follow their standard model.

And I'm still having a hard time believing the band would play an unreleased song, let alone a few during a show.

Road testing :drool:, finally I won't have to listen to toolish drunk fans attempting to sing along!

I'm confused. McCockne$$ says album before end of year, but also releasing "some of that material on record earlier"? Like what? A single? An EP?

And I'm still having a hard time believing the band would play an unreleased song, let alone a few during a show.

[optimism]
What if there's all of it?
Rumoured single in June, live videos of the new stuff via the Rose Bowl concert BD Live feature, EP a couple of weeks into the tour (perhaps only for those with that rumoured code to be obtained from the Blu-ray/DVD release in June) and then finally an album in the fall?
:drool:[/optimism]

Road testing :drool:, finally I won't have to listen to toolish drunk fans attempting to sing along!
Who says that will stop them from at least attempting to "sing" along?

I'm telling you...

Until The End Of The World ---> Breathe

Encore 1:
Mofo
Crazy Tonight (remix)
Vertigo

Flip Mofo and the Crazy Tonight remix. When Larry comes in on the drums during the Crazy Tonight mix, it should just boom straight into Mofo. THAT would be fantastic. And drop Vertigo. It would never look like more of the pretender that it is, then if it were played straight after Mofo. That would be like Zac Efron suddenly stumbling into a scene with Robert De Niro.

Now, now, be nice to Mr. Paul McG!

And I agree, this would not follow U2's traditional model.

GOOD!

NLOTH proved that despite massive promotion, an album still may not sell all that well in today's world. Some may argue that releasing GOYB as the first single hurt. Despite my personal feelings on GOYB (I like it), I can agree with this and do feel the song hurt the album. However, even people who had massive #1 songs (like Kelly Clarkson) still didn't have massive selling albums.

In other words, the world has changed when it comes to albums. Despite the RIAA's attempts to sue anyone and everyone, people are still downloading illegally. And those who do not are "cherry picking" their songs on iTunes. As a result, entire album sales have dropped.

Still, some albums can and will leap out. Susan Boyle, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga have all shown this. Besides strong promotion, it helps to have a holiday release. Had NLOTH been released in Nov. 2008, it probably would have enjoyed strong holiday sales, regardless of how well GOYB performed, and may have reached Double Platinum in the U.S. Still not great sales compared to some of U2's past albums, but double what NLOTH currently sold. Therefore, I see no reason for U2 to release an album in June. Summer releases used to sell, but not now.

Second, a strong single, like BD or "Vertigo" is needed. Save the more quirky lyrics or music for second or third singles. Or make it a quick first single followed VERY rapidly by a second single (i.e., within a week or two - nothing wrong with releasing two tracks at once).

Third, promotion remains key and what better way to promote a new release than on tour? Yes, U2 have not really done this before (other than in promotional appearances), but this change could really help both the new release as well as mix up the songs in the concert. However, like with the first single, U2 need to choose really great concert tracks (and have them well rehearsed). Something too "artsy" or slow/ambient may lose the audience and actually hurt (both the tour and upcoming release) than help.

It'll be interesting to see if U2 do any of the above (including having a release late this year).

McG might mean record as a 45rpm single before album is out. die hard fans would buy.

or a recording on the blu-ray disc....

i think they will want to start the new leg of the tour with GOYB akin to how they will represent the Rose Bowl DVD.

I got the new Q magazine yesterday and they have a small section where it previews new albums in the works. It claims U2's new album is due late 2010.

'New songs and not No Line on the Horizon: The Leftovers. Don't expect it until after Glastonbury, though.'

Source: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ngs-all-discussion-205444-24.html#post6713437

This new quote from McGuinness and the slightly older article from Q magazine makes me think they're in fact planning on debuting the new material at Glastonbury, simply because it specifically tells us not to "expect it until after Glastonbury". Why not "Don't expect it until after opening night?" or "Don't expect it until after the (North American/European) tour is over". It is starting to make sense actually. The Glastonbury Festival is probably one of the biggest if not the biggest music festivals in the world, and as we know, the gigs will be broadcasted internationally via BBC Worldwide for the first time ever. That means that U2 will get a lot of exposure at this event.

BBCW Audio & Music have held the radio rights to broadcast the festival since 1985 and in this time have licensed the performances across 40 territories worldwide reaching an average of 40 million listeners.

This is the first time that BBCW Music has held the TV rights to the Glastonbury Festival and BBCW Music hopes to take it to its largest ever audience.
Source: BBC - Press Office - BBC Worldwide Music to take Glastonbury Festival to a global audience with new distribution deal

Then the world is ready for an EP release or whatever followed by a continuation of the U2360 Tour. :drool: Wishful thinking again, I suppose.:sigh:

If you think they're going to do anything out of the ordinary, you still have to think about it the way U2 would, i.e. $$$$$$

U2 singles don't have much of an effect. They don't sell well. They may not be seen to push the albums much. If they figure their albums are going to sell about the same regardless of any single impact, and their massive fanbase aren't buying the singles (in whatever format) because they snap up the album on day one, it might make some $$$$$ sense, and be a new approach, to release even 2-3 singles before the album. Highly, highly unlikely, but maybe not stupid.

Maybe both ?

Have a single (NLOTH fourth single ? Every breaking wave ? Something new?) in early Summer to hype the tour, and release in the album in that good old holiday season.

Maybe given this bit from Q 'New songs and not No Line on the Horizon: The Leftovers. Don't expect it until after Glastonbury, though.' they may even premiere new songs at that show. Let the tour promote the album; sorf of like the latter legs of Zoo TV played Zooropa material.

This new quote from McGuinness and the slightly older article from Q magazine makes me think they're in fact planning on debuting the new material at Glastonbury, simply because it specifically tells us not to "expect it until after Glastonbury". Why not "Don't expect it until after opening night?" or "Don't expect it until after the (North American/European) tour is over". It is starting to make sense actually. The Glastonbury Festival is probably one of the biggest if not the biggest music festivals in the world, and as we know, the gigs will be broadcasted internationally via BBC Worldwide for the first time ever. That means that U2 will get a lot of exposure at this event.

probably because glastonbury is right after the north american tour and a month before the european tour?

maybe?

no?

probably because glastonbury is right after the north american tour and a month before the european tour?

maybe?

no?

Good point on the dates. That gives them plenty of time to rehearse. Also, would that be the biggest stretch of time they have available to finish a new album? (I'm not usually this lazy about looking things up :))

U2 should not play new material at Glastonbury. U2 should play the hits at Glastonbury and nothing but the hits if they want it to go down as a truly legendary performance. I'm not saying thats what I want particularly but if U2 start playing a load of new material they are in danger of alienating the crowd who will be 'passive fans' at most.

Honestly? I think the best thing U2 could do would be to stop playing the hits. I know they won't, but people give them so much crap about playing anything new they should just go whole hog!

"Good night, you can keep this suit of lights!"

Really , Glastonbury is the show where I least expect them to play anything rare or new. It's just stupid and the crowd wouldn't like it. I don't get why some people think they'll do something out of the ordinary there, it will be the other way round.

I think the crazy tonight remix would go down well at Glastonbury, and i can see them doing it.

I heard inside information that the setlist will indeed be adapted, daramatically! Breathe will be remoed from the setlist and some snippets will change...

:up: Thats already an improvement. I don't think Breathe is a good opening song and never have! ;)

If they're saying "not the leftovers", isn't that kind of what this project was supposed to be? Not rejects but songs that didn't fit the tempo/style of the album after they removed the loose concept?

Do we really want "new" songs instead, which would basically be second-guessing the direction they were going in before? I sure don't.

maybe?

no?

Glastonbury takes place in the middle of them being on the North American leg of the tour, actually:

June 23rd 2010: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - Commonwealth Stadium
June 25th 2010: Glastonbury Festival - Glastonbury, England
June 27th 2010: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - TCF Bank Stadium

So there will be 7 US/Canadian dates before the festival and then another 9 dates afterwards. I honestly still don't see the reason for why Q specifically said "after Glastonbury". There's 23 days between re-opening night and Glastonbury. What will they have time to work on in a little over three weeks where most of that time will be spent on the road? There are other ways of expressing a potential fall 2010 release in my opinion so why did they otherwise put focus on this particular gig?

As far as rehearsals are concerned, they do have time to initiate rehearsals before the North American Tour goes off in June, it's still roughly one and a half months (48 days) until re-opening night. Between the last North American date and the return to Europe, on the other hand, it's just 19 days.

If they're saying "not the leftovers", isn't that kind of what this project was supposed to be? Not rejects but songs that didn't fit the tempo/style of the album after they removed the loose concept?

Do we really want "new" songs instead, which would basically be second-guessing the direction they were going in before? I sure don't.

I don't mind if the next two albums are released out of order, as long as we eventually get both. Maybe they need to release something that gets more attention first and then SOA next year? The bottom line is - The band is writing. The band is creating music, and I have to think that that is even more important than how much (or what) material they release in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom