Songs of Ascent - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as everyone's discussing the lyrics of Magnificent for just a moment here, does anyone remember where it was said that Edge specifically wrote the "I was born to sing for you" lyric verse, and if it was Bono that said it? Thanks.

IM not allowed to enjoy a song because I dont believe in a big dude up in the clouds?

Fuck off.

Just a random example, does this mean that only people with Cancer are allowed to sing along to the My Chemical Romance song of that name because it is a first person song about having Cancer.

You make me laugh most of the time and I just dismiss it as more of your nonsense, but this is just plain ridiculous. Perhaps it shows the higher order thinking of the atheist that I have the intellect to challenge such nonsense as religion and believing in magic omnipotent beings, but can still appreciate that the belief in them can inspire wonderful art, and therefore I can accept it's existence as an ideology and those that follow it because it can at times make the world a better place.

Because I sing along to words someone else wrote, in a song that is catchy and of genuine quality, it means I am asking "gods" light to shine down on me? Get real champ, If anything it is me reaffirming to the band that if that is what they choose to believe, may this "god" shine it's light on you the way that you wish.

Wht kind of christian places restrictions on the kind of art another human can enjoy? aren't you people supposed to be all inclusive and open?

I bet you're the kind of person that wanted Ricky Gervais new movie taken out of cinemas because it dared to suggest that god was fictional. Anyone has the right to beleive what they wish, and the monopoly on the artist world of christianity should be broken, if only for the sake of transparency and diversity.

Holy shit. I'm no mod, but chill.

He did not:
A. say you "weren't allowed" as an atheist to sing along with Magnificent
B. say that you, by singing along with Magnificent, were acknowledging the truth of Christianity's claims about God
C. place a restriction on the kind of art another human can enjoy.

HE SAID HE FOUND THE IRONY OF IT FUNNY.

You were the one who decided that "laugh" meant "express derision and scorn" and that he thought it was inappropriate for you to enjoy the song.

Appendix: Christianity DOES NOT have a monopoly on "the artist world." Last time I checked, people were photographing crucifixes submerged in urine and it passed as art. I'm a Christian, and sure, it alienates me, but to be honest, Jesus was treated worse than that the last time he was here, so this is pretty much par for the course. There are plenty of Christians who call for censorship of that kind of expression, and I think they need to let it go--but hey, atheists have called for censorship of Christian expression, too.

Can we go back to not talking unless we know something new about SoA or whatever the next U2 project ends up being?:drool:

I segment U2's main albums like this:

Punk era: Boy/October/War
Americana era: The Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree/(Rattle and Hum)
Electronica era: Achtung Baby/Zooropa/(Original Soundtracks 1)/Pop
Renaissance era: All That You Can't Leave Behind/How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb/No Line on the Horizon

I believe this last era is the band's cumulative offerings from what they've learned from all the other periods of their career. And as sad as it sounds, I don't think U2 can manage another radical sound alteration. They don't have it in them anymore. They are still too afraid of critical rejection.

Holy shit. I'm no mod, but chill.

He did not:
A. say you "weren't allowed" as an atheist to sing along with Magnificent
B. say that you, by singing along with Magnificent, were acknowledging the truth of Christianity's claims about God
C. place a restriction on the kind of art another human can enjoy.

HE SAID HE FOUND THE IRONY OF IT FUNNY.

You were the one who decided that "laugh" meant "express derision and scorn" and that he thought it was inappropriate for you to enjoy the song.

Appendix: Christianity DOES NOT have a monopoly on "the artist world." Last time I checked, people were photographing crucifixes submerged in urine and it passed as art. I'm a Christian, and sure, it alienates me, but to be honest, Jesus was treated worse than that the last time he was here, so this is pretty much par for the course. There are plenty of Christians who call for censorship of that kind of expression, and I think they need to let it go--but hey, atheists have called for censorship of Christian expression, too.

Can we go back to not talking unless we know something new about SoA or whatever the next U2 project ends up being?:drool:

Laughing at the irony of anything suggests derision. I think what snowlock said, and later changed to seem like some sort or superior mind, was that in essence he laughed at atheists (be them militant or otherwise) for enjoying a song written about god. My point was that peoples belief in a god has inspired some great art, and I, and any other atheist can ejoy that art, just like christians can enjoy atheist art. I dont see how that is irony? Any form of art is subjective, regardless of the intentions of the creator because once it is released into the public domain, opinions and interpretations can alter the way it is viewed. The point is, that is the whole idea of Art. If we were told how to interpret every piece of art based on the opinions of the creator of the art, thered be no point in ever puruing a love of art.

Bottom line, snowlock started an argument laughing at me for not following religion. I continued the arguement by arguing my right to like a song even if I dont conform to the religious ideology of the lyric...

Snowlock has a history in this thread and others of retracting just about everything he has said so that he is on the right side of an arguement.

You also categorically claimed intellectual superiority to religious people, his statement may have had some amount of derision behind it, but yours was a vehement attack, lets back off and get back to music please.

You also categorically claimed intellectual superiority to religious people, his statement may have had some amount of derision behind it, but yours was a vehement attack, lets back off and get back to music please.

I regret the sentence about the intellect. My sentiment remains. I find it bitterly hypocritcal that someone who preaches christian beliefs can not appreciate that non-christians can see the value in their art.

I have so much faith that the next U2 album will be something really special.
And I feel very optimistic that they will release it come March/April 2010.

Finally someone speaking of SOA! :up:

Yes, I'm still optimistic about that date. And I'm still hoping for at least one song from the spiderman musical on the album...

I have so much faith that the next U2 album will be something really special.
And I feel very optimistic that they will release it come March/April 2010.

Good for you, I also share your hope, though the optimism is beginning to shrink a teeny tiny bit..

I regret the sentence about the intellect. My sentiment remains. I find it bitterly hypocritcal that someone who preaches christian beliefs can not appreciate that non-christians can see the value in their art.

It's totally bizarre, and as a Christian myself, I can't see any reason why a non-Christian couldn't appreciate it.

That's just it--he didn't say that atheists can't see value in U2's art.

I had started writing a more detailed response, but I really want this thread to climb back on the rails.

That's just it--he didn't say that atheists can't see value in U2's art.

I had started writing a more detailed response, but I really want this thread to climb back on the rails.

might be best to just stay out of it and stay on topic.

Laughing at the irony of anything suggests derision. I think what snowlock said, and later changed to seem like some sort or superior mind, was that in essence he laughed at atheists (be them militant or otherwise) for enjoying a song written about god. My point was that peoples belief in a god has inspired some great art, and I, and any other atheist can ejoy that art, just like christians can enjoy atheist art. I dont see how that is irony? Any form of art is subjective, regardless of the intentions of the creator because once it is released into the public domain, opinions and interpretations can alter the way it is viewed. The point is, that is the whole idea of Art. If we were told how to interpret every piece of art based on the opinions of the creator of the art, thered be no point in ever puruing a love of art.

Bottom line, snowlock started an argument laughing at me for not following religion. I continued the arguement by arguing my right to like a song even if I dont conform to the religious ideology of the lyric...

Snowlock has a history in this thread and others of retracting just about everything he has said so that he is on the right side of an arguement.

Wow.

Saying I was retracting is a very interesting way in admitting you were wrong. I haven't seen that before and I thought I'd pretty much seen everything from Interference's "intelligencia".

But, hey, whatever works for you, pal.

The thing I enjoy most about you and people on these boards like you, who have a far superior brain then myself is that you get so worked up and you don't even understand the point.

And you still don't.

But I don't care. Go ahead and be worked up. Come on back for some more when your intelligence balls actually drop. You're really not smart enough to get past boring yet. Although tacitly admitting you missed the point by claiming I retracted what I said was interesting.

"Good for you, I also share your hope, though the optimism is beginning to shrink a teeny tiny bit.."

Don't let it shrink Gav.:sexywink:
I actually think this is one of the most optimistic times to be a U2 fan.
They have just released their best album of the decade (NLOTH) and easiliy one of the top5 albums of their history.
The descriptions they gave for what Songs Of Ascent could be sound great.
They already have a lot of material recorded, and Eno has been working on it since before NLOTH was released.
They have an incredible tour going on, and 6 months in between the first and second leg to finish and release SOA.
The sole fact that this band won't use their 6 months to rest and be with their families, but instead chooses to keep working to release a sister album to NLOTH, is incredibly positive.
The same with the recent news about Bono and Edge taking 2 weeks to write some more.
These guys are still trying, still working, still believing they can make their best work now.
I have complete faith this will be the case.

:wave:(This is just my opinion, of course.)

Wow.

Saying I was retracting is a very interesting way in admitting you were wrong. I haven't seen that before and I thought I'd pretty much seen everything from Interference's "intelligencia".

But, hey, whatever works for you, pal.

The thing I enjoy most about you and people on these boards like you, who have a far superior brain then myself is that you get so worked up and you don't even understand the point.

And you still don't.

But I don't care. Go ahead and be worked up. Come on back for some more when your intelligence balls actually drop. You're really not smart enough to get past boring yet. Although tacitly admitting you missed the point by claiming I retracted what I said was interesting.

this is the 2nd time you've been a part of turning this thread into an argument.

i will admit that i had a part in the first time, but at least that had to do with whether or not SOA would be released..........since that is what this thread is about. this thread isn't about whether dan smee is smart or not, so if you really feel that you need to insult dan, maybe you should pm him instead. or is that the point, you'd rather insult dan for all of Interference to see? either way, it's not staying on topic, is it?

"Good for you, I also share your hope, though the optimism is beginning to shrink a teeny tiny bit.."

Don't let it shrink Gav.:sexywink:
I actually think this is one of the most optimistic times to be a U2 fan.
They have just released their best album of the decade (NLOTH) and easiliy one of the top5 albums of their history.
The descriptions they gave for what Songs Of Ascent could be sound great.
They already have a lot of material recorded, and Eno has been working on it since before NLOTH was released.
They have an incredible tour going on, and 6 months in between the first and second leg to finish and release SOA.
The sole fact that this band won't use their 6 months to rest and be with their families, but instead chooses to keep working to release a sister album to NLOTH, is incredibly positive.
The same with the recent news about Bono and Edge taking 2 weeks to write some more.
These guys are still trying, still working, still believing they can make their best work now.
I have complete faith this will be the case.

:wave:(This is just my opinion, of course.)

i have got to say that i have enjoyed all 17 of your posts. we need more people with your attitude around here. :up:

Q. Okay, let's talk about Magnificent.

A. That was born in Fez. We wanted to have something euphoric, and Bono came up with that little melody. And he loved that melody, and stuck with it - almost like a fanfare. And then I was involved in the lyrical process on that, because we wanted to talk about sacrifice that one makes for one's medium or one's art.
- Daniel Lanois for the lulz

Without going into the actual subject I find that Snowlock's attitude has been fairly unfriendly throughout this argument. It's silly to make fun of people because of their beliefs or non-beliefs.

Anyway, how about SOA? I am also feeling optimistic about the record (as I really like NLOTH, Disappearing act and Kingdom, and find the idea of a quick follow up record brilliant)

:wave:Thank you very much for your kind words Mikal! :wave:
I'm new around here, in fact this is the first time in my life I enter a forum, and after some months of just reading what other posters were commenting, I finally decided to start posting too, so thank you very very much.
I have been enjoying your posts too, and I think this is a great place to share.
:up:

LoudDreamer, wait one or two years. You'll become a depressing poster bashing all what U2 makes. :lol:

I'm reaching that point :macdevil:

Wait I just found I'm a member since 2004...

this is the 2nd time you've been a part of turning this thread into an argument.

i will admit that i had a part in the first time, but at least that had to do with whether or not SOA would be released..........since that is what this thread is about. this thread isn't about whether dan smee is smart or not, so if you really feel that you need to insult dan, maybe you should pm him instead. or is that the point, you'd rather insult dan for all of Interference to see? either way, it's not staying on topic, is it?

Dan was the one who brought his superior intelligence to the conversation, not me. I had no interest in insulting Dan until he insulted me. But, that's not the issue for you of course.

But back on topic.. the reason why the topic drifts is probably due to the fact that the only news coming out is minimal and leaning to the negative side.

Dan was the one who brought his superior intelligence to the conversation, not me. I had no interest in insulting Dan until he insulted me. But, that's not the issue for you of course.

to be honest, i thought Dan was out of line too. it doesn't matter who started it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom