Songs of Ascent - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how soon before fake Vancouver tapes surface?

How soon before someone signs on with a new account takes a recording of Kingdom and muffles it?

Actually, I know that the whole vancouver thing has been told independently by members of the crew to different fans over the tour, but are we certain it's right?

There has been no official mention of it and one would imagine that such a cold place is not the most ideal for winter sessions. Won't they just do the usual Eze-Dublin recording and then go somewhere more proffessional to mix?

Not to mention, Vancouver doesn't really get that cold in the winter. Just because they fly a Canadian flag doesn't mean they're covered in snow ten out of twelve months of the year. :wink:

Nope...in the USA Magnificent got as much attention as any non-lead off single from their last 3 albums. Radio played the song as much as Elevation, Walk On, Stuck, COBL, Sometimes, ABOY, etc. However, in the USA, radio only massively plays whatever is the first single for U2, so Magnificent never had a chance of getting a lot of airplay unless it was the first single. But it still did as well as expected for a subsequent single.

Not even close. Magnificent never charted on modern rock or adult top 40. In the case of your other example, most all of those songs did and had long lifetimes on especially adult top 40 long after the pop singles charts forgot about them. To my knowledge, it never even showed up.

Mag was a terrible choice for a second single as it wasn't a song that could build on any momentum the album launch generated. If it couldn't achieve there, it certainly couldn't succeed as a lead off single. It's poorly sung and horribly derivitative. Unless you really love Disco and want to see U2 embrace that music (which is fine, I'm not bashing disco fans) I just don't see the love for this song.

:scratch: If you don't get the love for Magnificent, I don't see how you'd get the love for U2 in general.

:scratch: If you don't get the love for Magnificent, I don't see how you'd get the love for U2 in general.

agreed, if you were to poll everyone on this site, I'm pretty sure Magnificent would come out on top. It's clear the fans like it (for the most part) but the general public did not like it, which I find odd. The only reason I can see for this is they were either put off by GOYB and not willing to give the song a chance or the song didn't get enough exposure – think about how long it took for the video to be released.

My love of U2 comes from the passion, earnestness, bombast, irony, experimentation, big sounds, big ideas, punk rock spirit, global conciousness, originality, and rock and roll spectacle that they embody. Magnificient has none of these qualities.

elevated_u2_fan said:
agreed, if you were to poll everyone on this site, I'm pretty sure Magnificent would come out on top. It's clear the fans like it (for the most part)

Interference is just a noisy sub culture among U2 fans. Its an interesting place to spend time in occasionally, but hardly representative of anything. And while I respect a persons opinion to have it, I patently refuse to like something just because someone else does.

Magnificent, for me, was a huge disappointment thanks to the beach clips. I had much higher expectations and the finished product sounds like a digital computer output with no life to it. The lyrics are cringe-worthy and Bono should have had a better vocal take.

"I was born to sing for you" Hah!

Magnificent, for me, was a huge disappointment thanks to the beach clips. I had much higher expectations and the finished product sounds like a digitized computer output with no life to it.

i agree, but no where near to that extent. from the beach clips, i thought Magnificent was going to have more of a WOWY feel to it than the upbeat disco feel.

with that said, i love the song but not as much if i hadn't heard the beach clip. it definitely convinced me to not listen to beach clips ever again. it ruins the experience of hearing the song (in normal quality) for the first time.

No beach clips for you!

The beach clips also ruined Breathe for me. The song sounded a lot more badass and in your face. Bono with a swagger and we got an overproduced could have been.

Im actually becoming very curious of the Rubin sessions.

I would be all for U2 working with Flood, Lillywhite, and Rubin for the next album.

Im starting to loathe the Eno and Lanois collab.

I want the band to start rocking. I need another War in my life.Not another Passengers.

No beach clips for you!

The beach clips also ruined Breathe for me. The song sounded a lot more badass and in your face. Bono with a swagger and we got an overproduced could have been.

agreed. and Miracle Drug from the last album. i've learned my lesson. as weak as i can be about these things, i just can't do it anymore.

My love of U2 comes from the passion, earnestness, bombast, irony, experimentation, big sounds, big ideas, punk rock spirit, global conciousness, originality, and rock and roll spectacle that they embody. Magnificient has none of these qualities.

Passion: check

Earnestness: check

Bombast: check

Experimentation: sorta

Big sound: check

Big idea: it's an in your face idea but what's interesting is that so many don't get it... so maybe there is irony in it after all :wink:

Passion: check

Earnestness: check

Bombast: check

Experimentation: sorta

Big sound: check

Big idea: it's an in your face idea but what's interesting is that so many don't get it... so maybe there is irony in it after all :wink:

Hey more power to you if you like it. Bono nasally (and very carefully) singing about being a singer doesn't seem like too much of an in your face idea to me. There's absolutely no passion in this song. Its almost like he's signing along with a tele-prompter. Edge's rhythm guitar part during the verses is some of the most ho-hum I've ever heard from him and I think Eno lifted those synth parts from Solid Gold. There is bombast at the beginning of the song. That blat of a power chord is awesome and maybe what makes the rest of the song such a let down; but after, it just fails.

"Justify till we die, you and I will magnify" you think is difficult to get? But really help me out here, if I'm off the mark, what am I missing in the big idea realm with this song?

I'm not trying to dislike it. I just haven't found anything to redeem it yet.

Magnificent, for me, was a huge disappointment thanks to the beach clips. I had much higher expectations and the finished product sounds like a digital computer output with no life to it. The lyrics are cringe-worthy and Bono should have had a better vocal take.

"I was born to sing for you" Hah!

You do know that the "born to sing" line isn't actually Bono speaking to the audience literally, right?

Magnificent comes off as a giant worship rock song, granted the lyrics are left open but it'd be ridiculous to think that's not a big part of it, after all it's called that after the Magnificat (the song of Mary). To say it's sung with no passion is the most offbase thing I've heard around here.

Plus even if you disliked the vocals, how could you not go crazy for that riff??

Hey more power to you if you like it. Bono nasally (and very carefully) singing about being a singer doesn't seem like too much of an in your face idea to me.
"Justify till we die, you and I will magnify" you think is difficult to get? But really help me out here, if I'm off the mark, what am I missing in the big idea realm with this song?

It's the big idea that we are all designed to be certain people from a higher power and that Bono was able to find his. I don't think it's difficult to get, but after reading so many of the responses in here and in reviews apparently it is...

"God made me what I am today."? I wouldn't call that a big idea. That's pretty par for the course for Bono.

I didn't know though about the Mary influence. Though if you read the prayer, you find that he deviated pretty heavily and quickly.

The Prayer
My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Also it's interesting then that he missed the point. The root of the word is magnify, like in the second line of the prayer, though with modern times the meaning of the word has changed wonderful or regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom