Songs of Ascent - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As well, not exactly "b-side" by definition (being released on a single), but important in that U2 were releasing new material outside of the album-

Initially for an iTunes boxset release:

Love You Like Mad
Flower Child
Levitate
Smile

I count 8 tracks. Excluding Xanax and Wine and Native Son. Also excluding Fast Cars being a common bonus album track.

Just to be technical, if you're excluding X&W, and NS, Always would probably be out too since its an early Beautiful Day.

I have been a u2 fan since I was 11 in 1997. I have seen and experienced everything they said after Pop, ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I outlined why this time appears to be different Sketches or ideas, not songs in the can, being used as intro music for the tour, or eing talked about as the first single from the already named album

Provisionally named album. And I'm sorry but you (nor me) have any idea if these songs are in the can. Is Winter in the can? Was Mercy? Hell, both Edge Bono have called the entire Unforgettable Fire album sketches. So I guess I don't see any evidence.

See Mikal's post. They have all mentioned it, and answered questions on it, and even the slow u2.com has used the name in articles. We also have all of the photos from the NLOTH book that clearly separates the sessions into two albums, one was called NLOTH, one was called Songs of Ascent even then.
Well, a couple things.. I hadn't seen other members call it that. But even then, it really doesn't mean much, does it? The Joshua Tree was supposed to be called Songs of Experience and.. Songs of Something in a double album. Or so Bono said once, right? Bono's also said a number of times that SoA was a provisional title. It's not to say I think you're wrong. Its just that it isn't an album because that's what the band members are currently calling it. Or not correcting it. A while back wasn't there an Interferencer who asked Edge about "Mercy", he recognized the name, but that doesn't mean that if that song was actually published that's what its name would be.

Native Son was never released as a single... :shrug:

Neither was Every Breaking Wave. :shrug:

It happened after ATYCLB as well. Your comments support my arguement. I am not saying it hasnt happened before, I am saying this time seems different.

Not sure how. My opinion is that next album hype following a recent release has all happened before without said album appearing for years. You're saying its different this time because they've provisionally named the album?

As opposed to a vague 'see you soon' after the last show of a 2 years tour, we have an album name, first single and all band members were tlaking about it only a month after NLOTH was released. There is no comparison.

We don't have a first single. We have a name of a song that's supposed to have been released as a first single by now. EBW could certainly be the next single; hell it could be released tomorrow as such. But your opinion is no more informed than someone who's of the opinion that it's not coming for three years. Bono included, probably :lol:

If the release in the 4th quarter, they are competing with a plethora of other bands who are also trying to cash in on the xmas dollars. If they have a hit single, the album will sell regardless, and there will be less people trying to sell their wears at the same time, therefore more buyers in the market with less money they want to spend cd's at the time.

Not necessarily. Alot of it has to do with the single, I agree. But its not just the fans who they are counting on buying the disk, I don't think. it's the mothers, grandparents, spouses, etc buying the disk as an holiday buy at a big box.

As to them competing... Nah. I really don't think they have any more competition now than they did in 2004 or 2000.

That was the date I suggested! I find it strange you take the time to deconstruct my entire post and then agree with me at the end!

Oh?

I still think we can expect it in March 2010. They have months to finish it after the American leg, and given it is nearly done, Im sure they will push it in that time. Overall, I am confident of seeing SOA before the 3rd leg of the tour starts

The important point for everyone to take on board is this:

While we have seen the band talk about quick turnarounds after the last 3 albums, this time we have solid information, concrete names of albums,
Wait, what albums? "Sometime going back to the Rubin Sessions" is now an album? Edge just said that he wasn't even sure U2 would do Spiderman or it could be done by the cast. Bono has said Adam and Larry aren't sold on Spiderman.

songs and a rough timetable.

Who's timetable? The one Bono gave us is quickly passing. What songs? The only three that we're truly aware of without there being any conjecture is Kingdom and Winter (because they were heard) and EBW. Eno right now presumably, is in the studio seeing exactly what they have. So if they don't know, how can you?

The tour dates are so spread out, highly unusual for a 7-9 month break in the middle of a tour! They are obviously giving themselves the time they feel they require to finish the project.

How long has it been since they've opened with a summer tour? Twelve years? What basis do you have in saying it's highly unusual since they haven't done it in a long time. Being in your 30's and pushing 50 are many moons apart. One of the reasons I bet for the big break is to give Larry's back and Bono's voice a rest. And no, I'm not kidding. And they could certainly be working on SoA in that time. I certainly hope so. But there's aboslutely no evidence that they are going to.

Adams comments are the only ones that seem inconsistant, and that most likely indicates that he is trying to add a bit of secrecy to the project

How so?

Look, I'm not saying you are wrong. But you're drawing conclusions from things that aren't facts. Guess away, and I hope you're right!! But you are just spitballing when the only tools we have to guess at an albums release date is via trending their history and that history strongly goes against your theory.

The one thing you have working for you is Achtung/Zooropa. If I were to argue for SoA coming out within a year of NLOTH, I'd go that route.

I have to go to a meeting, I will deconstruct this delibrately misinterpreted nonsense when I get back.

Just skimming it though, there are even rebuttles you put forward that have not a scrap of relevance to the statement I made, IE I mentioned that they claimed quick turnarounds AFTER THE LAST THREE ALBUMS (meaning Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB). You responded with this...

Wait, what albums? "Sometime going back to the Rubin Sessions" is now an album? Edge just said that he wasn't even sure U2 would do Spiderman or it could be done by the cast. Bono has said Adam and Larry aren't sold on Spiderman

You know perfectly well that I am talking about SOA, and the plural in my previous post saying 'albums' is referring to the spurios projects apparently following up the prevous 3 albums. If you are being delibrately asinine, then I feel sorry for you that this is how you get your pleasure. If you are honestly this obtuse, I feel sorry for you for that too

one point i think some of the doubters are missing is that U2 had originally planned for NLOTH to be a double album, and have planned to release SOA even before NLOTH was released.

I have to go to a meeting, I will deconstruct this delibrately misinterpreted nonsense when I get back.

Just skimming it though, there are even rebuttles you put forward that have not a scrap of relevance to the statement I made, IE I mentioned that they claimed quick turnarounds AFTER THE LAST THREE ALBUMS (meaning Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB). You responded with this...

You know perfectly well that I am talking about SOA, and the plural in my previous post saying 'albums' is referring to the spurios projects apparently following up the prevous 3 albums. If you are being delibrately asinine, then I feel sorry for you that this is how you get your pleasure. If you are honestly this obtuse, I feel sorry for you for that too

"Nonsense"... Okay you want to go the troll route because you're making stuff up and pouting when someone challenges you on it? Fine.

Lets say you're right, smart guy, and Songs of Ascent is the title. According to your genius, having a name for an album indicates an imminent release, right?

Two words for you:

Chinese Democracy.

Discuss.

"Nonsense"... Okay you want to go the troll route because you're making stuff up and pouting when someone challenges you on it? Fine.

Lets say you're right, smart guy, and Songs of Ascent is the title. According to your genius, having a name for an album indicates an imminent release, right?

Two words for you:

Chinese Democracy.

Discuss.

Yeah, because U2 have shown themselves to be exactly like Guns N' Roses over the past two decades.

Two words for you:

Chinese Democracy.

Discuss.

i don't blame dan smee for not wanting to reply to your most recent post. you're really taking an ignorant approach to this argument. i'd have a lot more respect for your stance if you just simply said "you know what, i know this time seems different, but my gut just tells me that this album won't be released next year". instead, you're trying to twist reality to support your argument.

one point i think some of the doubters are missing is that U2 had originally planned for NLOTH to be a double album, and have planned to release SOA even before NLOTH was released.

When was it ever intended to be a double album? They may have said they had enough songs for a double, but the only alternate version I heard was that it was supposed to be more of a concept thing about the three recurring characters, something that changed with the addition of the overworked, wannabe radio hits and the removal of Winter (and whatever else may have been discarded).

When was it ever intended to be a double album? They may have said they had enough songs for a double, but the only alternate version I heard was that it was supposed to be more of a concept thing about the three recurring characters, something that changed with the addition of the overworked, wannabe radio hits and the removal of Winter (and whatever else may have been discarded).

i'm too lazy to find the interview, but it was said by the band shortly after NLOTH was released that it was originally slated to be a double album, but that they decided to release two albums seperately from these sessions.

i don't blame dan smee for not wanting to reply to your most recent post. you're really taking an ignorant approach to this argument. i'd have a lot more respect for your stance if you just simply said "you know what, i know this time seems different, but my gut just tells me that this album won't be released next year". instead, you're trying to twist reality to support your argument.

Like hell I am. How many times have I said he could be right and that I hope he is? I just don't see any evidence from where he's drawing his conclusions. In fact, historically, the evidence is against him.

It isn't my gut that's telling me the album isn't going to be released until next year. Its the fact that the only time since 1983/1984 that they've turned around a new album this quickly is the AB/Zoo and even that was 18 months or so apart.

Bono has said (in referring to Pop and ATYCLB) you don't put out two bad albums in a row. NLOTH being the "bad" album this time.

They lament the lack of a hit single.

They are known to go back and rework "finished" material

They are known to promise quick turnarounds for the next album and not deliver

This is far more evidence to me to indicate a delay in SoA rather than an immenent release.

That's not twisting anything. That's merely disagreeing. To say it's ignorant simply because I'm drawing different conclusions is, well, childish.

i'm too lazy to find the interview, but it was said by the band shortly after NLOTH was released that it was originally slated to be a double album, but that they decided to release two albums seperately from these sessions.

No, not a double album. A double EP.

Like hell I am. How many times have I said he could be right and that I hope he is? I just don't see any evidence from where he's drawing his conclusions. In fact, historically, the evidence is against him.

It isn't my gut that's telling me the album isn't going to be released until next year. Its the fact that the only time since 1983/1984 that they've turned around a new album this quickly is the AB/Zoo and even that was 18 months or so apart.

Bono has said (in referring to Pop and ATYCLB) you don't put out two bad albums in a row. NLOTH being the "bad" album this time.

They lament the lack of a hit single.

They are known to go back and rework "finished" material

They are known to promise quick turnarounds for the next album and not deliver

This is far more evidence to me to indicate a delay in SoA rather than an immenent release.

That's not twisting anything. That's merely disagreeing.

i lost you at NLOTH being a "bad" album. :lol:

Yeah, because U2 have shown themselves to be exactly like Guns N' Roses over the past two decades.

yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Comparing Guns and Roses to U2. Its not that I'm comparing one named album that was delayed to another that could possibly be delayed.

Talk about twisting arguments.

Has anyone read this new short U2 interview with USA Today, which is posted up on @U2?

yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Comparing Guns and Roses to U2. Its not that I'm comparing one named album that was delayed to another that could possibly be delayed.

Talk about twisting arguments.

um...that is exactly what you did. :|

um...that is exactly what you did. :|

Wow, "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did."

That's where you're going with this?

Wow, "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did." "no you didn't." "yes I did."

That's where you're going with this?

that's where you're going with this.

i just read the blurb on @U2, didn't see anything regarding Song Of Ascent.

This is the article I was referring to, it may not be much but it's worthy of further discussion methinks.

U2's 360° Tour is selling out globally, but no lines formed for No Line on the Horizon, an album that has sold 1 million copies in seven months — shy of the tally that 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb racked up in two weeks.

"We didn't have a hit," Bono says. Get On Your Boots "is going over better and better live, but that spongy funky sound didn't connect with rock radio. If your first single doesn't go off, it can knock the momentum. We believe in the songs and we want people to have them in their hearts and their iPods."

Missing 2008's fourth quarter hurt sales, which in an era of rampant piracy no longer reflect the music's reach.

"You don't know how far the music travels," says bassist Adam Clayton. "The new songs get a great reaction live. Nobody's yawning or groaning. Releasing it outside that last quarter made it more uphill. Other factors skew the numbers. The record business is collapsing, and radio and the media."

What's beyond Horizon? A trio of albums, starting with the ambient Songs of Ascent, containing surplus material from Horizonsessions. It may include the buzzed-about Every Breaking Wave.

"It's a very intimate affair," Bono says. "They are beautiful love songs, where the object of love is not always obvious."

The band also wants to finish its shelved rock album with producer Rick Rubin, and Bono and Edge are wrapping up songs for the Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark musical.

"That's a monster album, a wild ride with very big songs," says Bono, who hopes the pair's project will evolve into a U2 album with special guests. "Edge and I knew it had to be dramatic, melodic and character-based. We'd just dream up the maddest stuff. Spider-Man may be the funnest project I've ever been involved with. Never a dull day, never a dark day until a few weeks ago when we woke up to the news that the production company had run out of cash."

Bono asked Canadian promoter Michael Cohl to help get the project on track. Spidey may be delayed but won't be derailed, he says.

Release dates are indefinite.

"The Spider-Man collection is the most developed but the least appropriate to the band," Edge says. "We've got so much material at different stages of completion, it's going to be a nice problem when we've got a few weeks to look at it."
(c) USA Today, 2009.

Not to be a dick, but I don't remember that at all. As it's something that hasn't been said anywhere else, you should back it up with a link if you're going to throw it out.

Just to be technical, if you're excluding X&W, and NS, Always would probably be out too since its an early Beautiful Day.

Even if one were to exclude this, there is no denying that U2 have chosen to keep everything under lock and key as far as releasing original material in the form of b-sides goes. Excluding Always because it an early BD is really besides the point. Where is Tripoli then, or Diorama? (these songs that morphed) It just makes it clear (to me) that material for the next album (or ep?) is already in place. How much is there to inspire or how finished this stuff is remains to be seen.

Not to be a dick, but I don't remember that at all. As it's something that hasn't been said anywhere else, you should back it up with a link if you're going to throw it out.

stop being a dick. :wink:

sorry, it's just one those things that was from one of the many interviews that came out after NLOTH was released. i clearly remember it. i guess if i was writing a thesis on this subject, i'd put out more effort on trying to locate the link. i guess i was kind of hoping my credibility would back up my statement on this one, as i've never been one to just make things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom