Songs of Ascent - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still hopeful for a spring 2010. They do another promo pitch to see if they can get some Christmas sales of NLOTH. Wrap up tour in October, go into studio and come back the next year and do another leg of the tour incorporating new songs...

I agree with this, but I think more late spring/ early summer. I think given that NLOTH would have been out for over a year and a quarter for the next rumored US leg that they'd want something else to accompany the tour to make sure they get their sales. That's part of why I think it wasn't the Horizon tour or Kiss the Future tour - but 360 tour- so it's not tied down to a specific album.

Is there a chance they won't release an album? probably, and probably a higher chance of that happening than indeed coming out with something 12 months from now. That said, I'm optimistic that they'll have something new up their sleeve a year from now.

Two U2 albums in two years? LOL, no way. I said this before No Line even came out. This is U2. If you think they're gonna work on another album so soon you're dreaming. Never pay attention to anything Bono says, he's full of BS.

I guarantee you we won't get an album until 2012 at the earliest.

BS :wink:

...seriously, you know they are 50, right? you know they want to be on tour for 2 years, right? you know they have a 12 years long deal with LN? a deal they won't be able to meet if they'll keep releasing albums the way they did the last 2.
IF they won't release another album "spring 2010" they wont sell out many of the 3rd and 4th leg shows (if it's true they want to do another US and another European leg), they need new songs, they need a "decent" single (hit), they need to stay in the media longer than just 2009.
They need a new album or another Best Of :crack: ...you decide.

The discouraging quote from Bono is that they wouldn't release Songs of Ascent until it was "as good or better than NLOTH". It's unfortunate that they are so tied down to the album-canon-only concept. Why can't they release a 9-song album/EP? Why not 2 EPs--one for Xmas and one for summer, thereby offering new music during the tour and avoiding the pressure to one-up NLOTH? This isn't a sports competition.

The discouraging quote from Bono is that they wouldn't release Songs of Ascent until it was "as good or better than NLOTH". It's unfortunate that they are so tied down to the album-canon-only concept. Why can't they release a 9-song album/EP? Why not 2 EPs--one for Xmas and one for summer, thereby offering new music during the tour and avoiding the pressure to one-up NLOTH? This isn't a sports competition.

yep. my thoughts too. the minute i heard that quote, i completely changed my view point on SOA. i now believe we won't have a new album until at least 2013, and i doubt it will even be called SOA.

With Edge recently saying they have 9 songs they're happy with, Bono's earlier comments, etc. I think we at least have enough evidence that we'll get more out of these sessions sooner. At least that's what I like to tell myself. No way in hell will it be 2009, but you'd think sometime they'll realize that tampering isn't always best, and that 4+ year gap isn't the best release strategy. I think as part of a huge 2009/2010, we could still see a new release in 2010. It would give something extra to those buying tickets on a second go-round on the tour. And something to inject energy for them into a long-winded tour like on ZooTV, granted Vertigo lasted almost as long, but there was a hiatus and a lot more going on in between.

I'm still hoping we get a 2010 release. I can understand people thinking it will be longer though. But I still think there's hope.

Just a curious question, how many albums do you think U2 will do AFTER SOA? Afterall, they are getting old now, a sad fact, they can't make albums forever. I think personally they will do about 2 more albums after SOA (which would finish on 15 official studio albums, good number to go out on)

he's a rock singer. of course he's going to strain.

He never strained on Bomb. As I said maybe it was intentional but I don't like it.

Well answer this, what makes any song more difficult to sing than others?
And why does "difficulty" matter to you?
Complicated melody lines seems more difficult than just hitting high notes. I imagine OOTS more difficult to sing than someone just hitting a High c all day long because they have to mannuveur around a series of notes on the scale whilst the latter is just one note. I can make high pitched noizes. He hit high notes in Bomb, ATYCLB, AB, Zooropa, etc etc etc. He did it in October. He's always been hitting high notes since year dot. I don't care about keys. In this months word magazine Hazel Davies mentioned that there's more to singing then just hitting a high note at great volume. She said he can't sing because he never phrases properly. Please tell me a about him phrasing else I'm more inclined to agree with her comments.

The reason why difficulty it matters because I don't know how this album is better than Bomb or ATYCLB vocally. Plus I'm into progress in all areas and a sense that he's willing to come back and prove himself after he's blunder 3 years ago.

:banghead: How many people have to tell you it's not the same riff? It's been pointed out to you by several posters.
there were plenty of people who said they could hear a riff from The Fly. Gvox, Alittle, meself and not to mention the person who started the thread in the first place.

Apologize is a melodic song because of its vocal line. As is Viva La Vida, Rule The World, don't Look Back In Anger, I guess That's Why They Call It The Blue's, Penny Lane and If You Come Back.

Compare these songs to Satisfaction, NYD and I Guess That's Why You Look Good On The Dancefloor which are more about riffs oand single note vocal lines.

Catchy Hooks is different It has to be a catchy hook you can sing along to in the vocal line because most people tkae more notice of the vocals more than anything else. It has to instantanious. There's no point saying we only include hooks in the beats or guitar because if people don't get it on one or two listens they will never be hooked. If you're out fishing and your bait is taking longer to tempt fish then you haven't got yourself a good hook. It's the same as song. I find the appeal of htese songs wear quite thin after a few listens unlike a great melody. Although they have an appeal to them, I don't go for catchy songs it they lack a great melody line. Catchy songs include: So What, Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Believe, Toxic, Girls and

Last edited:
But I'd rather him sing in lower keys and sing it well than sing in high keys and sing not as well. It has to be successful in order to call it progress.

congratulations, you have an opinion, guess what? It's not the same as everybody else’s.

We get it that you don't like NLOTH, we get it that you don't like the way Bono "strains his voice" on this album. Enough already, do you have anything else to contribute other than this constant whining?

It does have to successful. You can't just say he's singing in a higher key if it sounds as though he's straining to hit the notes. Have you gone mad? Will the songs be sang better live?

Plus U2 elevated was responsible for moaning over the fact that he never liked Bomb. But I suppose that's ok for you.

My mum really like Magneficent. Dhe said it was excellent. She also likes Boots, Bomb (especially SYCMIOYO), Elevation, SIAMYCGOO but the first song she really liked by U2 was Electriacl Storm, she bought it as a single. Her favourite is One. She hate's all the rest of their music and she hated Achtung Baby

Complicated melody lines seems more difficult than just hitting high notes. I imagine OOTS more difficult to sing than someone just hitting a High c all day long because they have to mannuveur around a series of notes on the scale whilst the latter is just one note.
You would be wrong in this thinking. I've never heard a singer tell me they can't sing the song because the melody is too "complicated", but I hear all the time singer's telling me they can't perform the song because it's out of their range.

In this months word magazine Hazel Davies mentioned that there's more to singing then just hitting a high note at great volume. She said he can't sing because he never phrases properly. Please tell me a about him phrasing else I'm more inclined to agree with her comments.
I don't know who Hazel is, but if she said this she's full of shit. Period. How can she say "he never phrases properly"? If he wrote the song then he decides the phrasing, there is no wrong or right. You should go back and check your quote, I would hate to think they hired someone that incompetant.

The reason why difficulty it matters because I don't know how this album is better than Bomb or ATYCLB vocally. Plus I'm into progress in all areas and a sense that he's willing to come back and prove himself after he's blunder 3 years ago.
You know by using your ears. Blunder, is this a reference to the same issue you bring up in every other post? Let it go.

there were plenty of people who said they could hear a riff from The Fly. Gvox, Alittle, meself and not to mention the person who started the thread in the first place.
You should read the entirety of people's post:
but the underlying chord progression isn't the same at all.

I can't think of any other U2 songs that go from the I chord to a major IV chord.
"Isn't the same at all". "I can't think of any other U2 songs that go from..."

No plagerising. Drop it, and move on.

Apologize is a melodic song because of its vocal line. As is Viva La Vida, Rule The World, don't Look Back In Anger, I guess That's Why They Call It The Blue's, Penny Lane and If You Come Back.

Compare these songs to Satisfaction, NYD and I Guess That's Why You Look Good On The Dancefloor which are more about riffs oand single note vocal lines.
This doesn't define anything. I know what a melody is, but I'm afraid you may not given these examples. I want to hear in your own words not examples what you think a melody is, or what you consider melodic.
Catchy Hooks is different It has to be a catchy hook you can sing along to in the vocal line because most people tkae more notice of the vocals more than anything else. It has to instantanious. There's no point saying we only include hooks in the beats or guitar because if people don't get it on one or two listens they will never be hooked. If you're out fishing and your bait is taking longer to tempt fish then you haven't got yourself a good hook. It's the same as song. I find the appeal of htese songs wear quite thin after a few listens unlike a great melody. Although they have an appeal to them, I don't go for catchy songs it they lack a great melody line. Catchy songs include: So What, Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Believe, Toxic, Girls and
BY DEFINITION a hook is either a melodic one or a rhythmic one. Since I have no clue any of these songs you listed I can't tell you what these are, but I honestly think you are really confusing your terms...

Just please define melody for me, please.

It does have to successful. You can't just say he's singing in a higher key if it sounds as though he's straining to hit the notes. Have you gone mad?
:banghead:
Plus U2 elevated was responsible for moaning over the fact that he never liked Bomb. But I suppose that's ok for you.
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!
My mum really like Magneficent. Dhe said it was excellent. She also likes Boots, Bomb (especially SYCMIOYO), Elevation, SIAMYCGOO but the first song she really liked by U2 was Electriacl Storm, she bought it as a single. Her favourite is One. She hate's all the rest of their music and she hated Achtung Baby

My Grandma likes polka. :|

It does have to successful. You can't just say he's singing in a higher key if it sounds as though he's straining to hit the notes. Have you gone mad? Will the songs be sang better live?

it is successful. you're suffering from a faulty opinion.

Is this directed at me? I have never made it a secret that I don't like Bomb when compared with a lot of other U2 material (NLOTH included) but I have never said that I hate it. Even if I did hate it, you would not see me droning on and on about it in every thread I came across...

What point are you trying to make here?

I like Bomb :banghead:

But I don't like it as much as AB or JT or Pop or Zooropa or NLOTH or ATYCLB or UF....

You keep coming into these threads and complaining about the same stuff over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AGAIN!

At least come up with some new reasons why you don't like NLOTH, I understand that you don't like it already...

I like Bomb :banghead:

But I don't like it as much as AB or JT or Pop or Zooropa or NLOTH or ATYCLB or UF....

You keep coming into these threads and complaining about the same stuff over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AGAIN!

At least come up with some new reasons why you don't like NLOTH, I understand that you don't like it already...

my dad's boss likes Bomb more than NLOTH.

Anyone think there's a remote chance that they'll trot out EBW on the U2360 tour any time soon?

If so, any month predictions?

I think EBW will probably show up on tour late summer of 2010, assuming the 2nd leg comes down the pipe. But there was that one difficult-to-place clip recorded in Barcelona...

Yeah. I guess it's sort of a pipe dream.

But just imagining being there, slowly realizing what you're listening to is not a rework of something old song but in fact the new U2 single from an album previously shrouded in mystery... :drool::drool:

Yeah, pipe dream.

Does U2 still keep its money in tax shelters? Or did they find that it was difficult to pose as humanitarians/social crusaders whilst deferring tax bills in favor of personal luxury.

Does U2 still keep its money in tax shelters? Or did they find that it was difficult to pose as humanitarians/social crusaders whilst deferring tax bills in favor of personal luxury.

??

taking your taxes to a country that is giving more money to 3rd world/ debt/ africa/ whatever than Ireland IS in line with Bono's work... what "posing" are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom