Songs of Ascent - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono makes up this crap after every album comes out. Everyone jumps on the "They'll finish it after the tour!!1!" bandwagon. And then it's out 4 or 5 years later.

2014 at the earliest.

Really? So did Bono say after ATYCLB and HTDAAB came out what the next album will be called and what the first single gonna be? :doh:

I know with U2 it's always better to expect new music released later than sooner, but really, this time it's different.
There were rumors about double album / two albums way back in 2007.
And instead of "We want to release another album soon" (like they said after ATYCLB and HTDAAB), we have an album name - SOA and the name of first single - EBW.
Tell me when was the last time Bono "made up this kind of crap"?

folks, just enjoy the amazing album they just put out and the tour. if we get another album, then cool.

My bet is that its going to be the same story as NLOTH. They are going to have songs left over for Songs Of Ascent then decide they arent good enough, scrap half of the best ones, say they are in a creative heaven and work for months on more Crazy Tonights.

my bet is that its going to be the same story as nloth. They are going to have songs left over for songs of ascent then decide they arent good enough, scrap half of the best ones, say they are in a creative heaven and work for months on more crazy tonights.

lol.

My bet is that its going to be the same story as NLOTH. They are going to have songs left over for Songs Of Ascent then decide they arent good enough, scrap half of the best ones, say they are in a creative heaven and work for months on more Crazy Tonights.

There is only one Crazy Tonight on NLOTH, right? I can't remember....
The one I'm thinking of is great tune, if that's the one you're thinking of.

Do people honestly think we're gonna get a new album any time soon?

This is U2, people.

At least a new Massive Attack album is coming out this year.

This is U2, people.

At least a new Massive Attack album is coming out this year.

i can't wait for the Massive Attack album! :hyper:

as far as the new U2, like i said earlier, i think we all need to step back and enjoy the great album we just received.......AND stop overanalysing every comment the band makes. i think it's pretty obvious that U2's record company stepped in and told them to stop talking about Songs Of Ascent. remember, NLOTH was supposed to save the music industry. the last thing they want is a band to hyping their follow up album the same week that NLOTH is released.

i'm still about 50/50 that SOA will be released within the next year. i think the band definitely intends to release it, but i also know how they work. all of a sudden new songs start popping up during sound checks and the band starts thinking big, then goes into the studio, works on them a little, Bono starts saving Africa again, and we're treated to a new album in early 2014. :wink:

It's going to be pretty hard to tour again next year without new material though. It looks like there will be a pretty bog gap between the North American leg in 2009 and the possible NA leg in 2010, maybe even 6 months?? Everything is possible! (even with U2)

Here is what someone posted on U2.com - this is not my post so please don't go crazy. See below.

"Here is a link I found somewhere
http://www.evous.fr/musique/U2-Songs-Of-Ascent-album,6624.html

As I'm French, it's in ... french. Sorry for the all of you who can't read.
I just can tell you that (according to that link) :
1/ the issue should be before the end of 2009,
2/ the main single should be Every breaking wave,
3/ the sound of it should be close to Miles Davis/John Coltrane universe. "

Here is what someone posted on U2.com - this is not my post so please don't go crazy. See below.

"Here is a link I found somewhere
http://www.evous.fr/musique/U2-Songs-Of-Ascent-album,6624.html

As I'm French, it's in ... french. Sorry for the all of you who can't read.
I just can tell you that (according to that link) :
1/ the issue should be before the end of 2009,
2/ the main single should be Every breaking wave,
3/ the sound of it should be close to Miles Davis/John Coltrane universe. "

That's an article from March 10th, more than 2 months ago. Not really "news".

Still, that's the first I've heard of the Miles Davis-John Coltrane/U2 connection....is SOA supposed to be a blues record??

unfortunately, the last bit of news we have is that the band is nowhere near completing this project. i really wouldn't expect anything soon. the only chance we have is that they'll get it out between the 2009 and 2010 tours.

Still, that's the first I've heard of the Miles Davis-John Coltrane/U2 connection....is SOA supposed to be a blues record??

No. It just feels like a Miles Davis/John Coltrane album to Bono - though no doubt waves of "punk rock on Venus"-ish whining will come out when SOA is released.

the miles/coltrane reference probably just means they've got moody, chill songs. u2 have never played a jazz chord in their lives; we're not getting a jazz record

maybe Adam won't play the root note of every chord this time. Maybe someone took him aside and said "you know, you can fuck with the chords if you want." Adam: "You're shittin' me, right?"

Of course this will never happen. But a man can dream.

yeah it's not totally crazy to assume they've been 'gagged' so to speak.
I'm hoping maybe U2 will just spring the next album on us out of the blue making this total silence on the issue worth it. I'd love them to really shake up their way of going about things.

Not soon but definitely in time for Christmas...IMO....and don't let it leak guys...and no free listens from U2.com. Either way, we've got a brilliant album to listen to and a tour in the meantime :)

I'm sure we'll get something next year, U2 will go back to the studio this fall with their minds twisted and warped from the excess and awe of the 360 Tour and revamp their album, probably rush it to match what they are feeling at the time (Zooropa?).

What happens to a T-Rex when it breaks out of the arena it's been caged in for the last 10 years?

Guys I hate to break it to you but after ATYCLB and HTDAAB everyone here was absolutely convinced that we would get a new album in a year or two. Look how the next albums turned out...4 and 5 year waits. Sorry, but nothing until 2015 is my guess. Just trying to be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom