Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonocomet

Blue Crack Distributor
Songs of Ascent until they say it isn't! :wink:

The latest from Edge, by radio 5/25/2010

audio link: http://www.atu2blog.com/audio-edge-talks-to-kroq/2719/

"We wrote a lot of songs, one of them was a tune inspired by the Glastonbury Festival. People will have to wait a while to hear it."

"We have a lot of new songs and we're very excited."

"We're very excited about our next project. Our question now is What's the quickest way we can get this stuff out?"

"It's so about this moment. We almost don't want to wait until we put a new CD together, but we'll see."

Songs of Ascent Until they say it isn't! :wink:

The latest from Edge, by radio 5/25/2010

"We wrote a lot of songs, one of them was a tune inspired by the Glastonbury Festival. People will have to wait a while to hear it."

"We have a lot of new songs and we're very excited."

"We're very excited about our next project. Our question now is What's the quickest way we can get this stuff out?"

"It's so about this moment. We almost don't want to wait until we put a new CD together, but we'll see."

Nice, but what is wrong with the existing thread!? :wink:

Ah no I see what she means, there were 2 threads about Songs of Ascent but the other one hadn't been used since March. Sorry mods, merge I suppose. :)

i bet two cents on "Every Breaking Wave" given away for free on U2dotcom during Bono's recovery...or the spider man song maybe
i think they will give us something during the break

No it's true! You were right actually :lol: there was another SOA thread that hadn't been used for a couple months, so I didn't see it. There were 2, I don't know why.

I think Bono's injury really increases the chance of new material later this year. They have some extra weeks now. Maybe do a few more concerts in Europe or the whole leg (hopefully) and then finish the album up after it. Then they can go touring again in 2011.

What about the 7'' vinyl? Do we know what will be on that? Probably Kingdom, but there has to be a b-side...

No it's true! You were right actually :lol: there was another SOA thread that hadn't been used for a couple months, so I didn't see it. There were 2, I don't know why.

nm I see it. How strange. I'll just close the other one and we'll start fresh.

I almost posted this myself before I read this. It is really nice to get some good news for a change these days. I cannot imagine how it would be to hear a brand new U2 song for the first time live. It would be amazing if they did that.

Would be great to see something out sooner than later, and all recent remarks from band members, both before and after the news about Bono, have pointed in that direction.

McGuiness said they had new material ready to go for the tour.

Edge says they have it and don't want to wait to get it on a CD.

I think the most interesting question that will be answered is what kind of song(s) it will be.

It seems that the SOA idea could well have been shelved or put on the back burner after the band's disappointment with the NLOTH reception.

They have had since October 2009 to decide what they wanted ready in 2010 for the tour, Glastonbury and a possible new album.

I would be willing to bet whatever we are getting went in a different direction than what we heard described with SOA.

Any thoughts?

Bono said they had a new song ready for Glastonbury. They certainly had a plan, and new material was a part of that plan. They were also talking about a new opening, and maybe it could be Kingdom played live.

From a public relations stand point, Bono's back injury is as good as it is bad for us fans. The tour delay is going to add some pressure to make up for it. New music is on the way :drool:

Wow, new very cool video interview up on u2.com from The Edge. He's confirming that they are planning on playing new material when the tour resumes!!

What about the 7'' vinyl? Do we know what will be on that? Probably Kingdom, but there has to be a b-side...

Well, just to add to this:

The super deluxe's picture appears to show the vinyl being titled "Soon." Before today I always thought "Kingdom" kept repeating the word "sing", however, I now think the word "soon" is what's being said. Put two and two together, and I think "Kingdom" may in fact be called "Soon."

I would guess the B-Side is either a live track or the "new tune" from Glastonbury.

From a public relations stand point, Bono's back injury is as good as it is bad for us fans. The tour delay is going to add some pressure to make up for it. New music is on the way :drool:

I think they'll definitely give us something new in the next 2-3 months to make up for the postponement now and might be a single to promote an album later this year. 2011 looks to be an interesting year bc if they have a new album, I would guess they would extend the tour and definitely get South America in the mix + maybe some addtl. US dates so I can go again!! They didn't cover Charlotte, NC the last time. :)

Wow, new very cool video interview up on u2.com from The Edge. He's confirming that they are planning on playing new material when the tour resumes!!

WOW just watched that! Playing the songs live as a testing ground for them before recording. Interesting.

The super deluxe's picture appears to show the vinyl being titled "Soon." Before today I always thought "Kingdom" kept repeating the word "sing", however, I now think the word "soon" is what's being said. Put two and two together, and I think "Kingdom" may in fact be called "Soon."

I would guess the B-Side is either a live track or the "new tune" from Glastonbury.

New tune is my guess. A live track seems off thinking that you just bought a live DVD. Why would you want it on a vinyl, and what track would it be?

Yes! This is promising news :) (besides the obvious fact that bono is better!)

i'm surprised i haven't really seen this brought up in any of the "OMG Bono's Back" threads, but does anyone else wonder if Bono's misfortune will actually be good news in regards to the new album? since they're all going to be chilling out for a bit, why not complete the new songs, master them, release the album and start the Euro Leg? i think it would be safe for Bono to be in the studio.

I guess if it doesn't interfere with the minimum 8 weeks he has to be in physical therapy to make sure he can make the Euro leg that could happen.

I was thinking that too mikal. Edge did say he was at least happy to have time to get into songwriting again. I would think that given the 8 week recovery time, he would not be aloud near the studio for 2-3 of those weeks, and not straining to sing for probably 4-5. Might be good for the quality of song too... they wont over interfere. He can sit and work quietly on melodies and lyrics without going for the modern u2 'write awesome lyrics and interesting melody, and then make it work in a sellable way' style.

In case anyone can't watch it due to restrictions or whatever here's a transcript:

:edge::I'm right now in sunny New York City and I was until a few days ago getting myself ready to go on the road and then I out of the blue got this news that our fearless leader had done himself some serious damage and was heading to the hospital in Munich. So, I'm still in New York, the case is half-packed and unfortunately now I got the news today that he's not gonna be able to do anything physical for about eight weeks which knocks out the first part of this tour. I spoke to Bono immediately, like a few hours, after he came out of the operation but he was not making any sense, I can tell you, whatever he was on. He didn't remember any of the conversation which is a shame since he promised me his car* and various other valubles, a few paintings, but anyway he claims not to remember that conversation but the next day we all managed to get him on the phone and he was really together and sounded great, even though he was clearly in shock about the implications of the injury. So it was good to hear him, back to himself, and we talked at length about what this meant and we're just dealing with it now.

He was in a fairly intense programme to be ready for the tour, so something in that preparation, maybe he just overdid it and hurt himself, maybe without realising it and it could've gotten worse. But luckily enough he did realize at a certain point, I think when he could no longer walk, that he actually needed to go to the doctor and thank God he did because by the time they got to see him and did the scans they realized that he'd actually got some fairly major damage. Had he not done anything about it, it could've actually been very serious and possibly permanent so it was well kind of, caught, I think. We were very relieved when we finally got the medical information that he had gone to the doctor when he did. I mean, he is really so into the moment, he was so looking forward to the tour, he's not somebody who ever really takes a look backwards or considers physical limitations. Those are very much of secondary importance to him, he's just about moving forward at speed. I was joking earlier on that this is probably the most rest he's had in decades, the few weeks after the operation. The other thing that we have to make sure is that he does follow the doctor's orders in terms of the programme of rehabilitation, because, knowing him again, he'll probably wanna take some shortcuts and get ahead of himself. But really from what I understand it's important that he does this in a really methodical way so we'll be there to chain him down if need be.

We wanna stress that this is not a cancellation of this tour it's postponement. We'll be back as soon as we possibly can, we will be back and it'll be bigger and better than ever. In a wierd way, it's probably good that this became evident before the tour started rather than halfway through the tour. So, being philosophical about it there's some positives to the way this thing happened. I guess sometime in August we'll be doing a pre-production period somewhere in Europe to open the tour in Turin.

We were working on a lot of new songs so I'm already back at work on song-writing and working on stuff for the next U2 record. We are intending to play some new songs live, which is something we've always planned to do and never got around to doing, for various reasons. So we're really excited about the idea of playing a couple of these new tunes in front of a U2 crowd and that'll give us a huge insight into how they're working, and make changes in the experience (?) the arrangement, the tempos, whatever. The ultimate proving ground of a tune is playing it live, so we have the benefit of playing a few of them ahead of recording them, which is gonna be great. When we do get back out there, we'll be absolutely in top condition and raring to go, so that's our focus now.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMXcuDBb3I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom