Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's been sitting around this long, I severely doubt it.
They might throw some stuff in on a re-release.
There are a LOT more song titles that I've just ignored.

I think there was a listing in Propaganda back in '99/'00 and many of them showed up later (Love and Peace or Else, A Man and a Woman, Miracle Drug) but I am doubting there is much more left there to be milked.

But if Larry thought Bulldozer was the best song of all those they recorded, I think it's fair to say they might drag it back out, who knows? And Bono rarely mentions songs that don't end up in our hands, one way or another (even under another name), so that's why I included those other two from ATYCLB (Sun, Moon, Stars and You Can't Give Your Heart Away or Even Think of a More Banal Song Title, Go Ahead...Try)

Songs of Ascent isn't dead!

I'm not sure it ever was dead...the interesting part is that for the first time Rubin songs aren't mention in an update - only SOA, Spiderman and "new songs".

Maybe they are ditching the Rubin material ? :hmm:

Current U2 projects:

• Rick Rubin Sessions
    • Started in: 2006 at Abbey Road Studios, London.
    • Sound: Club music and big rock guitars.
    • Confirmed song titles: None
    • Rumoured song titles: "All My Life"
    • Status: Gathering dust in the vaults, U2 have expressed a desire of returning to the material one day.

• Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
    • Started in: Possibly 2003-2004? Edge's Line6 DM4 Stompbox reveals "Spider-Man (Slide Solo)" in the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-book.
    • Sound: Rock'n'roll Broadway musical featuring indie band Carney.
    • Confirmed song titles:
      • Rise Above
      • Boy Falls From The Sky
      • Turn Off The Dark
      • Bouncing Off The Walls
      • Bullying By Numbers
      • Pull The Trigger
      • If The World Should End
      • "a dozen" songs more.
    • Rumoured song titles: None
    • Status: Rumoured to open autumn/fall 2010 on Broadway. In 2006 fans got to hear a leak of 'Boy Falls From The Sky'.

• Songs of Ascent
    • Started in: Most material supposedly stems from summer 2007, Fez, Morocco sessions with potential tracks leaking as early as 2006 ('Thank You For The Day').
    • Sound: A "ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We're making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work"
    • Confirmed song titles: None
    • Rumoured song titles: Soon, Every Breaking Wave etc...
    • Status: Unknown, was said to be released in late 2009. Soon is about to be released on 7" orange coloured vinyl as part of U2360° Tour Live At Rose Bowl concert Super Deluxe Package. More info here.

• [Fan Working Title] "Terra Incognita"
    • Started in: Fall 2009, in-between legs of the current U2360° Tour.
    • Sound: Said to be influenced by electronica and traditional, almost folk music.
    • Confirmed song titles: None.
    • Rumoured song titles: Every Breaking Wave (?), "Glastonbury Festival Tribute"-song
    • Status: Unknown. Band is currently rumoured to stay at their summer houses in Eze-Sur-Mer where they might or might not go through their material for these current projects or rehearse for the continuation of the U2360° Tour in fall 2010.

I think the most interesting things about these news 1) it looks like Bono finally convinced Larry to make Spiderman a U2 project and 2) I am very happy that the three projects are separate projects rather than one "try to please everyone" album. This way SOA can be unadulterated ambient stuff, "terra incognita" or "Spiderman" can be more rocky, commercially viable stuff.

I'm guessing he's saying the news isn't about the album, but concerns the DVD.

Not sure what big news it could be though...some extra stuff added on the ultra deluxe edition ? :shrug:

lol, in fact, there's no surprise at all. they're having a contest to give a way free DVD's. shocking!!! :lol:

lol, in fact, there's no surprise at all. they're having a contest to give a way free DVD's. shocking!!! :lol:

lol!!! that's an "enormous :applaud::applaud::applaud:surprise"! thanks az/universal!
oldtrain2.jpg

Now boarding.

Seriously, though? They're just giving away DVDs? That's even less of a surprise than Soon...

People really thought the first new recording in over a year was going to pop up in a deluxe set of a live DVD, with this little promotion about it?

You all deserve your disappointment.

I still would have expected more than just 2 minutes of new music. Major fail in my opinion :down:

People really thought the first new recording in over a year was going to pop up in a deluxe set of a live DVD, with this little promotion about it?

You all deserve your disappointment.

Exactly.
And also... a bit of "new" music on a vinyl called "Soon"? If anyone asks me I would say this feels like a teaser. :hmm:

So it is obvious that the vinyl is a promotion for the next U2 album which the band must think will be released "soon". Doesn't that paint the band into a corner? They had already named the next album and the first single from that album and have now sent out a physical promotion. They continue to build this belief that an album is coming soon. At this point, can they wait a couple of years before the next album without some kind of backlash?

Not in high quality sans crowd noise we don't.

Actually, the electronic press kit at the start of the tour had a high quality studio version of Kingdom/Soon that was cut into two parts. Someone ripped the audio, combined the parts and the final product came out to be around 2:15. So we likely already do have a high quality version of Kingdom/Soon.

So it is obvious that the vinyl is a promotion for the next U2 album which the band must think will be released "soon". Doesn't that paint the band into a corner? They had already named the next album and the first single from that album and have now sent out a physical promotion. They continue to build this belief that an album is coming soon. At this point, can they wait a couple of years before the next album without some kind of backlash?.

they can always pass it off as a song called Soon, and nothing more.. and there'd be a collective :doh: from this forum

Edge89, nice work.
Here's some info to consider or not.

You're just going to have to trust me on this, I was one of the core group that was deciphering these things back then. This (the labeled guitar effect) was thought to be COBL at the time, and I am almost positive that is what it refers to. They hadn't named the song (Bono's ever changing lyrics) until late in the game. I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with the Spiderman musical, which was probably not even in earliest pre-production at that time. Julie Taymor was working on Across the Universe before this came up and that film was released in 2008. More or less, I would suggest removing that blurb, but it's your info, you can do what you like.

There was a report early/mid 2004 on U2log that confirmed U2 were going to have a song on a Hollywood blockbuster film that summer (2004) and then later it was mentioned that it was either going to be Spider Man (one of the Tobey Maguire films) or the Gwyneth Paltrow film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (or whatever it was called).

The early reports were that this song was called Skyhawk (some will remember this title). Later it became Firefly but along the line we had figured out it was COBL. We talked about this at reasonable length 6 years ago. We figured out all the rest of them too before they were explicitly confirmed, Full Metal Jacket = Native Son = Vertigo , Tough = Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, there was one we all called "God Song" (from an interview that described it- Michael W Smith?) and we deduced it was "Yahweh" before that title ever appeared in a mainstream publication and so on.

Also, for Edge89, just another suggestion but maybe it should say Soon (aka Kingdom) otherwise people may wonder what happened to that provisional song title?
I'm only trying to be helpful, honestly.

I also have a boat-load of titles (unreleased songs) to add to the list whenever I find it.
These include Treason, Northern Star, Sun Moon and Stars, Bulldozer etc.
Swan269 and I were the keepers of that list at one time, right Swan269? What I mean is, we actually found the list. I don't know how updated my list is, but I have a pretty good memory on these things.

Of course, I don't think a copy and pasting of that list will help anything.
I think I need to go through it under the context of what I know about each of those titles and add something to it. I will do this sooooon... :wink:

Isn't 2 mins (Soon) about the same length of the intro/outro combined?
Don't we already, basically, have that song?

You're definately right about Skyhawk and the connection to Spider-Man, I remember now that you mentioned it.

I'll make sure to write Soon/Kingdom with the next update.

Somehow I get the impression that you feel like you might offend me by making suggestions for improvement or offering new insights and friendly reminders? Do I come across as an uptight person who can't take criticism to you? :wave:
Thanks for helping me out.:up:

I was actually in the process of creating a wiki-site for Unreleased U2 songs but I haven't done much about it yet other than registering the URL and creating an account. Thought it would be neat to have all information on forgotten or lost gems like those you mention in one place.

Well, considering they changed the title from "Kingdom Of Your Love" to "Soon," and it seems to be a shortened, edited version...I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a teaser.

So it is obvious that the vinyl is a promotion for the next U2 album which the band must think will be released "soon". Doesn't that paint the band into a corner? They had already named the next album and the first single from that album and have now sent out a physical promotion. They continue to build this belief that an album is coming soon. At this point, can they wait a couple of years before the next album without some kind of backlash?

And that's exactly why I think they've already an almost finished album. on their hands. Only this time I guess the band, especially Bono, is seriously pissed about how things were managed last time around. And I guess that their plan involves releasing this album right before the European leg. This way they can gain from the Christmas sales boost.
Of course, I guess something was changed, so the album wasn't ready for last Christmas. A big change I mean, but something is coming... soon indeed. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom