Song Wars!: Out of Control vs. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Which song is better?

OoC is U2's first single, while 11OCTT is arguably the band's best B-Side

OoC is good, but 11OCTT kicks ass. Serious ass. Edge's crazy guitar lines and solo just tear down the house. Both need to be played live more often!

What do you think?

discothequeLP said:
OoC is good, but 11OCTT kicks ass. Serious ass. Edge's crazy guitar lines and solo just tear down the house. Both need to be played live more often!

Couldn't agree more. i still think that edge's work on 11octt it's his trademark.

Out of control simply because it is one of the few songs I will start singing at random when waiting for a bus or in the middle of a lecture.

discothequeLP said:
OoC is U2's first single, while 11OCTT is arguably the band's best B-Side

Actually, 11 O'clock Tick Tock was one of the bands earliest singles. Produced by Martin Hammett (the only U2 single he worked on), it was released in 1980 with Touch as the b-side. I think it was the fifth single after Out Of Control, Another Day, A Day Without Me, and I Will Follow, but that's just going off memory. At a later date, an extended studio version (4:10 long) appeared as a b-side on some vinyl versions of Pride, while another extended version (4:03 long) appeared on a compilation of Hammett's work, and various live versions have cropped up as b-sides and on the Under A Blood Red Sky EP and video (they were different versions, the edit on the EP version is horrid, as anyone who has The Complete Boston Tapes '83 will attest).

Yes, I'm an 11 O'clock Tick Tock fanatic. Out Of Control doesn't even come close to the greatest that is 11 O'clock Tick Tock. It could only dream of being that good.

Last edited:
What a tough challenge! Both are great early U2 songs. I figure a number people are gonna vote for OOC because of the Slane DVD and its appearance on the Elevation Tour so I'll vote for Tick Tock (great guitar solo!).

What is the best Live version of Tick Tock?

Another fantastic early U2 Live song is Electric Co. What should it go against?

With the band's talk of the new album being raw and rocking - how about a B-Stage set of early U2 material rather than slow and acoustic tunes? The Boys could do a wardrobe change that reflects the early 80s and emerge on the B-Stage and rip into:
OOC
Tick Tock
Electric Co.
Gloria

And rotate other songs throughout the Tour - I Will Follow / Rejoice / A Day Without Me / .....?

The "breather" aspect could still be present with slower songs leading in and leading out of this high energy B-Stage Set.

U2Soar said:
What is the best Live version of Tick Tock?

Being the fanatic of it I am, I'm tempted to say "ALL OF THEM!", but the best is 5 June 1983, Red Rocks (the one on the Under A Blood Red Sky video), closely followed by 4 November 1981, Berlin. I used to think the worst was 6 May 1983, Boston, the one that appears on the UABRS CD, but then I got a bootleg of it and discovered that unedited, it's WONDERFUL. So ... there are no bad performances of 11OTT at all.

I love the idea of a high-energy b-stage set!

Personally, I'd like to see a challenge between the other two non-album singles, Another Day and A Celebration.

Yeah, A Celebration would flog Another Day, and I do think it's a much better song, but I was just listening to Another Day and it's not a bad song indeed. The first verse seems tremendously appropriate some days ...

Back
Top Bottom