Song Wars!: Mysterious Ways vs. The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Two of the greatest hits off Acthung Baby, both have been brought out to kick major ass live, but which one is better?

Mysterious Ways is almost an anthem for U2, played practically every night of performance since 1992, and changed live throughout the years, I think even perfected during Elevation.

The Fly is not such a popular hit per se, but after hearing it change from ZooTV to Elevation, man it totally rocks! The band must really love the song, because they didn't have to bring it back, but, hell, they did, and with a passion man!

'Tis a difficult choice, but I will have to say Mysterious Ways. How can I say no to the Fly?! With Edge's Rickenbacker, 450ms of delay, some fuzz and reverse auto-wah, thats how! (Plus Larry's awesome drums, Adam's spine-shifting bass, Bono's lyrics, and the belly dancer :wink: ) Oh Edge, maybe if you bring The Fly back next year...

Really tough choice, but I'm going to have to go with The Fly. I think the song defines that area better then Mysterious Ways and Edge's guitar work is much cooler.

I like the live version of Mysterious Ways a lot but the album version hardly does anything for me

the album version of The Fly on the other hand is one of U2's best efforts

so The Fly it is

Last edited:
The Fly, absolutely.

Mysterious Ways was brilliant on ZooTV, generally even better on Popmart, but didn't quite do as much for me on Elevation, though Edge's guitar was as superb as ever. However, the way The Fly was totally reinvented was mindblowing and it really can get the win just for that. It's the better song anyway.

The Fly

I like everything about it, and it has Edge's best guitar solo. Actually for me its up there at my top3 U2 songs, with only Streets and SBS before it.

I think these song wars should be done with polls......or maybe moderators can edit the first message and add a poll if the user isn't a premium member?

Anyway, "The Fly" is the best U2 song of the 90's. We have a winner.

Salome said:
the album version of The Fly on the other hand is one of U2's best efforts
I would like to add that I have never witnissed a live performance of The Fly where you could even make out the melody of the song
in comparison it sounds good on live dvd's etc
but I still think the live version doesn't match the studio version by far

The Fly - all the way. I never hear it on the radio, and since I work in retail and we listen to the radio, the damn station plays Mysterious Ways CONSTANTLY and I've grown a dislike for that song.

The Fly all the way - intense lyrics and great rhythm.

The Fly again...especially Elevation Boston version:
Almost divine with the slow intro, that solo...(no words)...and that extended blasting ending...
Although I also like Bono's falsetto voice in the live versions of MW.
Joy to all

GO ALBUM GO !!!

Mysterious Arse kicks ass !!!

P.S.: waar situeert zich "jouw broek"?

Last edited:
flyflyflyfly

flyflyflyfly

no a huge fan of MW

and, silenius, if you dont know where your pants are.......... :tsk:

both of them are amazing, but "Mysterious Ways" has been played SO much. It still is great though, Adam's bassline is incredible and Edge's guitar is really funky.

But either way, THE FLY takes the crown on this one. One of my top 5 u2 "album" songs of all time, classic track that sounds like nothing else, Bono's voice and lyrics are good as ever, and edge's guitar is phenominal. The minute after the second verse when Larry hits the drums and kicks in Edge's guitar solo (one of his best) is classic. Great live song too, hope they play it on this next tour.

It's so hard to choose, but I'd say the Edge would have to be my favorite member of the band. The only time I wondered what the hell he was thinking was when he said "the fly hasn't really stood the test of time" when discussing the 90-2000 greatest hits. ??????

The Fly musicaly
But video of Mysterious Ways is way better than The Fly

P.S.: Ik Belgi? en zou ook liever in Australi? zitten dan in Nederland :lol:

GO ALBUM GO !!!

Its a close call but The Fly, musially and lyrically. I agree about the video of mysterious ways being better though. I think its one of their best videos.

Back
Top Bottom