Song Wars!: ABOY vs. COBL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IrishDawg said:
COBL gave me the goosebumbs that U2's songs always seem to when I hear them for the first time.

:yes:

I have to say though that the goosebumps hadn't hit me for awhile, until this song. It's stunning.

there are gaps in the recordings, every 30 seconds or so i believe, since the person who recorded it could only do 30 seconds at a time i think.

COBL is going to be a classic epic.

ABOY is going to be a classic rocker.

The epic wins every time. :yes:

(All of this is solely based on the clips.)

I'll wait for the album before I make my mind up which one is better...but I must say based on first impressions of crappy sounding clips I'm still partial to ABOY....not that that couldn't change, but until I hear the real recordings that's where I stand.

with the new clips today coming out with better quality of both rehearsals and the real thing, Im going with ABOY I think, barely. Its just such a rock n roll song, not the fastest, but just perfect.

Axver said:
I would love to know how ABOY could even THINK of competing with COBL. That guitar solo saves it from total oblivion (in an ABOY versus COBL sense).

Put it this way - I've listened to ABOY about ten times. I've been repeating COBL most of the day.

COBL wins this battle by the biggest margin of any thus far. Close this thread now. We don't need to discuss it any more.

you know Ax, you seem pretty cool and all but that is among the most ignorant posts I've read on this forum, how old are you? you sound like some kid who hasn't discovered that his set of ears isn't the be all end all beacon of knowledge for the world.

Taste is subjective, ya know, probably hard to understand that you may not be the litmus test for the rest of us. Instead of saying why you think COBL is so much better, you say that ABOY can't even compare making no relative distinction.

I'll do it for you, you like it better because you think it sounds better.
Forgive those who want to discuss it more and accept your opinions as absolute gospel on the subject.

ABOY is better in those clips. I think any real judgements at this point are silly. This is my opinion, you don't not have to accept it as gospel. :)

I think at the end of the day it will depend on the excution on the album... if in COBL, the lyrics have as much emotion as they do the second time they sung (especially the part where bono goes "The less you find out as you grow", it just sounds perfect), then it will be awesome.. I think from what I've heard from ABOY's studio version from the windy clip, the lyrics sounds amazing (sounds like a double layer of Bono's voice), so I'm pretty sure ABOY will be rocking on the album.. but COBL is one of those songs where they could just miss the boat, like how they missed the boat with the album versions of Please & Gone, and how with Beautiful Day they were just right on with everything having the perfect amount of sweet and sour (compare it to "Always" and you'll know what I mean, Always is just too sweet)

Inner El Guapo said:

you know Ax, you seem pretty cool and all but that is among the most ignorant posts I've read on this forum, how old are you? you sound like some kid who hasn't discovered that his set of ears isn't the be all end all beacon of knowledge for the world.

Taste is subjective, ya know, probably hard to understand that you may not be the litmus test for the rest of us. Instead of saying why you think COBL is so much better, you say that ABOY can't even compare making no relative distinction.

I'll do it for you, you like it better because you think it sounds better.
Forgive those who want to discuss it more and accept your opinions as absolute gospel on the subject.

ABOY is better in those clips. I think any real judgements at this point are silly. This is my opinion, you don't not have to accept it as gospel. :)

Whoa, take it easy on the poor guy. I think he was being facetious with his post. At least, I hope he was!!

COBL? Man I hate that abbreviation. It reminds me of corn on the cob. Cobble!!!

I love Blinding Lights so much. I'm only starting to love it more as time goes by. I've been singing it all day.I love the lyrics and tune and everything. Ahhhh I just know this will be one of my favorite songs.

Last edited:
ABOY is much more exciting than COBL, IMO. When that guitar rings out for ABOY.......:drool: COBL is a much more moving song though, especially when you know the background of it. Couldn't be happier with both of them!

aafter hearing the full versions of the songs

all because of you hands down, especially with the solo that freaking rocks

After hearing COBL now I can´t fucking wait for the album! It made me so anxious! Damn

My initial thoughts after hearing both was ABOY way ahead of COBL....because, well, Edge solo and it's more Achtung Baby-esque. But after a few days of listening, I've got to say that COBL has really grown on me, as the best songs do. So initially, ABOY over COBL, but now COBL over ABOY.

They are two totally different songs from what I can make out of them.

ABOY - great to listen to when you want to bop your head, play air guitar, and dance like a clown - drive real fast in your and sing along.:dance:

COBL - appears to be a powerful song that initially sounds very pretty, but then you listen to it a bunch of times and realize the power behind it - in the realm of One, Bad, WOWY, Please, WUDM, Walk On.

COBL appears to be lyrically & musically deeper - and that is fine
ABOY appears to be a toe tapping, head bobbing, rocker w/ some attitude - and that is fine as well.

I think it just depends on your mood.

Back
Top Bottom