Song titles that 'suck' - yet the song is great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
So I want to prove a point to all the people that are already complaining about the new album song titles 'sucking' before they've even heard the songs.

Does it really matter that much if the song title 'sucks', if the song itself is fabulous? :hmm:
I think a lot of U2's song titles can be pretty lame.. but its the music that matters, isn't it?

So post U2 song titles that you think suck, but in turn think the song is actually phenomenal.

Where the Streets Have No Name
Lemon
Do You Feel Loved
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
The Fly

all horrible titles, but great songs.

Some people are forgetting one of the golden rules: don't judge a book by it's cover...:wink:

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
When I Look At The World
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

A lot of these names are... really long.

There are a few songs (Real Thing and Daddy's Gonna Pay come to mind) that have odd names at first, but, then when you listen to their (amazing) content, the titles seem perfectly fine for the songs. I 'spose The Fly is another like that, but the song is so amazingly awesome that it's impossible to criticize in any way, shape, or form.

Red Hill Mining Town

One of my all time favorite songs! So powerful..

Where the Streets Have No Name

These two for sure.. I mean really.

Some people are forgetting one of the golden rules: don't judge a book by it's cover...:wink:

Exactly my point!

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Another totally stupid title.. yet a favorite song of many U2 fans!

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Two Hearts Beat As One

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

When I Look At The World

Miracle Drug

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Love and Peace Or Else

Even Better Than The Real Thing

Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

Love Is Blindness

Do You Feel Loved

Some Days Are Better Than Others

Pride In The Name of Love

Love Rescue Me

When Love Comes To Town

All I Want Is You

Into The Heart

Out of Control

about half the songs on October...

See, when I say these titles to myself, they actually sound aweful, but normally I never think twice about them. Why is that? It's because I think of the song and hear THAT in my head, not the title. We don't know what the new songs will sound like so that's kind of impossible, thus Sicy I think your point is well taken. Great idea for a thread! :up:

I just have a problem with "An Cat Dubh" .

Why to use Gaelic ? Bono shouldn´t have failed in the Gaelic class in Ireland as a teenager ...:tsk:

Why not "The Black Cat" officially ?

Love this song....

Not to be a Debbie Downer, and yes I'm as massively excited as anyone for the new U2 album, and no I don't really care about song titles, but... dude: "One Bird"?!?! That's like a parody of a U2 song, appearing in an Onion article or something!

:wink:

...whatever, I'm sure I'll be crying to it and waving a lighter over my head when I hear it at 15 different U2 shows next summer...

:drool:

Fast Cars, anyone? I think that title is ridiculously lame, but the song is probably in my top 5 all time U2.

Fast Cars, anyone? I think that title is ridiculously lame, but the song is probably in my top 5 all time U2.

Xanax and Wine is also a pretty crazy song name... though not as bad as Fast Cars. And I greatly prefer X&W (OMG COLDPLAY RIPOFF) to FC.

Things must be getting really slow around here. I mean, to complain about song names? Good lord! There might be a couple out there that could be condensed a bit, but to say "lemon" or "Love is Blindness" The Fly"...ect....huh???:doh:

Being that we all must know better than the artists who actually created the songs, what are some suggestions of what the titles should have been?

I have no problem with criticism, but to just say "this title is crap" without offering a better one is completely asinine.

Things must be getting really slow around here. I mean, to complain about song names? Good lord! There might be a couple out there that could be condensed a bit, but to say "lemon" or "Love is Blindness" The Fly"...ect....huh???:doh:

Being that we all must know better than the artists who actually created the songs, what are some suggestions of what the titles should have been?

I have no problem with criticism, but to just say "this title is crap" without offering a better one is completely asinine.

Tell that to them!

http://forum.interference.com/f196/nloth-article-just-posted-atu2-com-188459.html

Your Blue Room,Kite,Angels Too tied to the Ground and CFYT are very awkward titles,but really awesome songs :shrug:
Try to abbreviate that third one :crack:

Beautiful Day
Fast Cars
Trip Through Your Wires
Kite
Miami
The Playboy Mansion

I agree that a great song can have a bad title that can all of sudden become good when you listen to how great the song is. Still if a great song has a great and more poetic title like Sunday Bloody Sunday, Silver And Gold, The Electric Co., Until The End Of The World, scream them out loud feels even better, to me at least. I think Bono has said how interesting (or something like that) he feels it is when a really great song has a really uninspired and regular title and the song is still great (he said something like that I think when talking about Beautiful Day).

Oh and Bono has also said in an interview how in the past he used to come up with some great song titles first and the rest would come out of that. I don't think it works like this anymore.

Eh most of my favourite U2 songs have great titles coincidently. No one is seriously suggesting that bad song title= bad song. I like different sounding song titles- lemon, zooropa, acrobat,etc but it is just a title.

A sort of homecoming by any other name would still sound as sweet.

Sorry. The thread starter makes an interesting argument but none of U2's previous song titles are even remotely as lame as the ones purported to be on the new album.

Back
Top Bottom